Nic 35 Rudder Repair

  • carl613475
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2011
      Having just had the rudder repaired on our Nic 35 I thought for the good of the group I would put the pictures on the site in folder 35/32 Sephine.

      The rudder stock was moving internally as well as at the exit point, water had saturated the internal foam, I had three blisters starting to show at the top of the rudder, the wooden extension crafted by the previous owner was also saturated.

      Jo Line at the Boat Repair Centre, Weston-Super-Mare UK did the job, there are other approaches to find a solution but after consultation we decided on not replacing the foam instead using horizontal stringers to support the sides. Tangs were added to the rudder stock and also I had a one inch drain plug put at the lowest point of the void so at the end of each season I can remove and check for water. The plug will be screwed tight with an o-ring and hidden behind Sikaflex whilst in the water.

      For detailed technical questions about the rebuild best talk to Jo Line who did a fantastic job - you can find her at this web site www.boatrepaircentre.co.uk

      Regards
      Carl

      Sephine 35/32
    • J BANNISTER
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 14, 2011
        Dureing our rebuild of Meeching Lass ex Wantock hull no 210 at Bucklers Hard Boatyard we had anew rudder made. Contact Dave Blachford,V profesional but slow.MLass now good as new
      • MarkH
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 14, 2011
          Nice looking rebuild. Did you leave it hollow and without filler?

          It looked like your glass was largely intact.

          Ours was total decomposed gunk with polyester-acid and water running throughout the matrix anywhere you cut in. Foam was also soaked. I just added a photo album for the new rudder. (ROXY RUDDER) My rebuild was 100% epoxy, glass and graphite. I struggled for quite a while over the filler since the only guarantee is that water will get in. I settled on 7 gallons of microballons to 3 gallons of epoxy componded with a dry-wall power mixer on my drill in 5-gallon buckets. The filler hardens to 3000 psi compressive strength and the skin bonds to it very well. The other details were quite conventional. I did change the shape a bit, removing the original sharp point at the lower end in favor of a 12 inch radius. Theory says smaller trailing vortex. Its also less prone to damage. US Composites for most materials. 35 dollars per gallon for epoxy was not bad.