yanmar engine

  • andrew.joad
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 26, 2011
      Hello,
      I'm seriously thinking of fitting a Yanmar 3jh5e into my Nic 35.
      Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of this engine going into a Nic 35.
      Thanks Andrew Joad North Star No 205
    • Peter Jørgensen
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 26, 2011
        Hi Andrew.

        What kind off drive would ou install on the Yanmar ?
        We had installed a Yanmar 3jh4 with a saildrive. I think the basisengine is the same.

        Peter

        I'm seriously thinking of fitting a Yanmar 3jh5e into my Nic 35.
        Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of this engine going into a Nic 35.
        Thanks Andrew Joad North Star No 205

      • Barryr8195
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 26, 2011
          We installed a Yanmar 3JH to replace the original Watermota Sea Panther a NIc 35 (#151)  The Yanmar is an excellent engine.  Performance under power was greatly improved over the earlier engine.  Also, the Yanmar is rated at 40hp as compared to 25 for the original engine; but the Yanmar is phyusically smaller, making maintenance  (like changing oil) much easier.
          We sold the Nic 35 about 3 years ago.  The new owner sailed it from Florida back to the UK where it now romps and plays.

          Barry Roberts

          What kind off drive would ou install on the Yanmar ?
          We had installed a Yanmar 3jh4 with a saildrive. I think the basisengine is the same.

          Peter

          I'm seriously thinking of fitting a Yanmar 3jh5e into my Nic 35.
          Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of this engine going into a Nic 35.
          Thanks Andrew Joad North Star No 205

        • Andrew Joad
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 27, 2011

            Thanks Peter and Barry,
            I would install an updated V-drive to replace the original Hurth V 150.
            Thanks for your help.
            Regards the size that's one reason I prefer the Yanmar over the Beta. It only has 3 cylindaers so I presume it's smaller.

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 27, 2011
              On www.maronier.nl are photos of a new yanmar and v drive in the yanmar section.
              We considered doing the same, but thought reversal of the rotation would be bad for berthing habits.
              Now repowered with a new Volvo penta D2 40 with mixed feelings.
              In order to fit the engine with the existing V drive the sump had to be  halved.
              Regards Rutger

              Op 27 jan. 2011 om 09:33 heeft Andrew Joad <andrew.joad@...> het volgende geschreven:

              Thanks Peter and Barry,
              I would install an updated V-drive to replace the original Hurth V 150.
              Thanks for your help.
              Regards the size that's one reason I prefer the Yanmar over the Beta. It only has 3 cylindaers so I presume it's smaller.
              Andrew
              What kind off drive would ou install on the Yanmar ?
              We had installed a Yanmar 3jh4 with a saildrive. I think the basisengine is the same.

              Peter

              I'm seriously thinking of fitting a Yanmar 3jh5e into my Nic 35.
              Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of this engine going into a Nic 35.
              Thanks Andrew Joad North Star No 205

            • Geoff McBroom
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 27, 2011

                Andrew,
                I've a Yanmar 3JH2E in my Nic 35, installed by the previous owner. The performance and economy are excellent but it does have one serious problem. The awkward siting of the raw water pump on the side of the motor, coupled with the poor stbd access in the nic, makes it a full day's job to change the impeller. Changing it at sea would be a complete non starter.
                I had a 36HP Beta on an Ohlson 38. It ran like a sewing machine but was very heavy on alternator belts until I bought the Beta kit to convert it to a flat belt. I never did any serious measurements but I got the impression it wasn't as economic as the Yanmar.
                Hope this helps
                Geoff McB.

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 27, 2011
                  ......I was thinking, the problems with service on the engine when it´s turned backwards. We only sailed in our 35 one season, but could easyli see these problem. The thing we considered was update a new Yanmar to the Hurthgear on our Watermota engine, but we was advised not to do so. The update would be expensive and we was told the sparepart for this Hurthgear is getting more and more difficult to find (dont now if this is correct). I just think you should find out about this before making a perhaps expensive update and not later being able to find any spareparts to this exact geartype....

                  Peter

                • colin@azure-consulting.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 27, 2011
                    I have just had the seals and a few other bits replaced on my Hurth v drive. Lancing marine in the uk did it. No appreciable parts availability issues encountered.

                    Colin Campbell-Dunlop
                    Azure Consulting
                    68 King William Street
                    London EC4N 7DZ
                    +44 20 7193 4232
                    www.azure-consulting.com

                    From: Peter Jørgensen <peterschoett@...>
                    Sender: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:16:24 -0800 (PST)
                    To: <campernicholson@yahoogroups.com>
                    ReplyTo: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 27, 2011
                      Okay... in that case this kind of solution by adapting the old drive with the new engine is not bad at all.

                      Peter

                      From: Peter Jørgensen <peterschoett@...>
                      Sender: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:16:24 -0800 (PST)
                      To: <campernicholson@yahoogroups.com>

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 27, 2011
                        Generally I would advise against installing an old transmission with a new engine since it is invariably cheaper to buy an engine and transmission as a package rather than the labor to mate up odd parts.   If you do go that route, it's also best to have it overhauled first, otherwise you could end up pulling it all apart a couple of years down the road when the clutch packs go up.

                        Graham.

                        From: Peter Jørgensen <peterschoett@...>
                        Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:16:24 -0800 (PST)

                        ......I was thinking, the problems with service on the engine when it´s turned backwards. We only sailed in our 35 one season, but could easyli see these problem. The thing we considered was update a new Yanmar to the Hurthgear on our Watermota engine, but we was advised not to do so. The update would be expensive and we was told the sparepart for this Hurthgear is getting more and more difficult to find (dont now if this is correct). I just think you should find out about this before making a perhaps expensive update and not later being able to find any spareparts to this exact geartype....

                        Peter

                      • MarkH
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 27, 2011
                          What a lot of work. I wish you total success. Be careful regarding the final alignment and woes will be few. If you align yourself there are many on-line articles on the dial indicators and other tools that let you do a good job here. The coupling manuufacturer can tell you what misalignment parameters are acceptable.

                          I hope to keep with the antiques (my photos) currently on the boat. I thought it was all overkill but the Hundested manually adjustable prop is a really nice piece of kit. We were gently stuck in drifted sand entering the marina. go to reverse, set the pitch shallow and run up the rpm. Water flew past the bow and the boat rocketed off the bar.

                          We have a stand-up engine room with a work bench and power tools. 12 kw 4-cyl genset and 6 cyl 115 Westerbeke. Lifting the companionway and opening the port side access doors exposes most of the engine. Base of the shower hides the coupling and packing gland. The sump below the engine holds about 60 gallons and four bilge pumps. The 2.5:1 transmission and variable pitch unit are a bit tough to reach below the refer system. Pitch controls are on deck by the binacle.
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 28, 2011
                            Alignment needs to be under 0.001" per inch of coupling diameter.  i.e. 4" coupling = 0.004" on the feeler gauges.

                            Graham

[...]

                          • O. R. Armstrong
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 28, 2011
                              MarkH,

                                Given that this forum is largely devoted to Nicholson 35 owners, you cannot imagine with what envy we read the words "We have a stand-up engine room . . ."

                                Russ Armstrong

                              --
                              "The 2009 winner of the Nobel Peace Prize has thrown a state dinner for the man who has imprisoned the winner of the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize." ~ Rush Limbaugh

                            • Peter Jørgensen
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 28, 2011
                                Hi again....
                                Just one more thing we were told was that the Hurth gear vas not strong enough for 40hp (they said it was for about 34 hp or something like that) Hovever dont now is there is hold in these words so better chek it out yourself
                                Peter

                                What kind off drive would ou install on the Yanmar ?
                                We had installed a Yanmar 3jh4 with a saildrive. I think the basisengine is the same.

                                Peter

                                I'm seriously thinking of fitting a Yanmar 3jh5e into my Nic 35.
                                Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of this engine going into a Nic 35.
                                Thanks Andrew Joad North Star No 205

                              • john dean
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 28, 2011
                                  Hello All

                                  Transmissions are rated by torque so make up a table of horsepower and torque for many different engine combinations. The engine will have maximum torque so will the transmission. Hopefully the transmission will have higher torque rating than the engine.

                                  Good luck, John

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 28, 2011
                                    Here's the specs:
                                    http://zf-marine.com/Transmissions/TechnicalDataSheet.cfm?DS=Description&GN=ZF_15_MIV

                                    (The Hurth HBW150V is the same as a ZF 15MV)

                                    Graham

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 30, 2011
                                      Thanks everyone for their useful feedback, much appreciated.
                                      Andrew