Re: [campernicholson] Any Nic30 advice

  • Gary Noble
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 7, 2011
      Hi Bev and Brian, I took a look at the site. What hull number is Millie? I have seen a number of boats now mostly in ads for sale and marvel at the different finishes and layouts. I will share pics of Whakarra shortly as I do not have any interior shots at the moment. We just replaced the head with a new Lavac toilet the other Lavac did good service for 35 years.The seacock on the water intake for the engine was replaced on the last haul out. We have the original 10 hp Volvo diesel. We changed a number of parts and all hoses under the watch eye of a brother in law who is a heavy duty mechanic and the engine just purred away. We found the best caulking after trying them all for bedding the lexan in the window frames and bedding the the frames to the coachhouse is Boatlife...the polysulphide/silicone mix. We have recently used a stainless steel finish behind and along the sides of the cooker/stove. It looks good.The doors in the head are bifold so the head compartment can be closed off from the forepeak and the main cabin. The outside finish when they are closed up against the lavac head is teak and the finish behind the doors is white formica or a plastic laminate. The bulkhead above the galley and chart table is teak ply. Will send pics so G/S Noble S/V Whakarra...Nanaimo, BC, Canada.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 7, 2011
        Hi there, had a look at some picson the blog...the hull looks great painted blue the same colour as our Nic 30 hull. G/S. Noble

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 8, 2011
          Thanks for the tips. No idea what the hull numbers is. Its not on any of the paperwork, do you know how i would find this?

          Thanks

          Bev

          --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Gary Noble <noble.gary@...> wrote:

          > Hi Bev and Brian, I took a look at the site. What hull number is Millie? I have seen a number of boats now mostly in ads for sale and marvel at the different finishes and layouts. I will share pics of Whakarra shortly as I do not have any interior shots at the moment. We just replaced the head with a new Lavac toilet the other Lavac did good service for 35 years.The seacock on the water intake for the engine was replaced on the last haul out. We have the original 10 hp Volvo diesel. We changed a number of parts and all hoses under the watch eye of a brother in law who is a heavy duty mechanic and the engine just purred away. We found the best caulking after trying them all for bedding the lexan in the window frames and bedding the the frames to the coachhouse is Boatlife...the polysulphide/silicone mix. We have recently used a stainless steel finish behind and along the sides of the cooker/stove. It looks good.The doors in the head are bifold so the
          > head compartment can be closed off from the forepeak and the main cabin. The outside finish when they are closed up against the lavac head is teak and the finish behind the doors is white formica or a plastic laminate. The bulkhead above the galley and chart table is teak ply. Will send pics so G/S Noble S/V Whakarra...Nanaimo, BC, Canada.

        • J-G Nadeau
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 8, 2011

            Hate to tell you but we have just had her repainted this year. She is back to her original c0lour scheme of white with gold trim. The blue was put on by a former owner and was in bad shape. Also had the upper decks redone last year with new paint and non-skid. The newer photos show that.

            Cheers, J-G

            SV Gosliing

            C&N42/6

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 8, 2011
              Hi Bev, the number is fiberglassed on the inside of the stern/transom. The number is raised and quite large about 4 inches in height and about 1 inch in depth. That is an estimate as I'm trying to remember as I was working on the muffler whose outlet is on the port side of our boat. One has to crawl into the locker closest to the campanion way and then twist ones body in order to move back to the stern. Awkward but do able and I am not a small guy. I think that we have a brochure that shows the boat interior. I will locate the brochure scan it a forward in a future e-mail.
              We are off across the harbour to visit Whakarra today....cold but sunny. A 20 minute row from our place in Nanaimo Harbour ( east coast of Vancouver Island, British Columbia CDN). Just remembered there is 3 Nic 30s in the neighbourhood; one in Victoria B.C. hull 44 and one in Point Roberts, Washington USA hull# unknown. All the best Gary and Sandy Noble

              Thanks for the tips. No idea what the hull numbers is. Its not on any of the paperwork, do you know how i would find this?

              Thanks

              Bev

              --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Gary Noble <noble.gary@...> wrote:

              > Hi Bev and Brian, I took a look at the site. What hull number is Millie? I have seen a number of boats now mostly in ads for sale and marvel at the different finishes and layouts. I will share pics of Whakarra shortly as I do not have any interior shots at the moment. We just replaced the head with a new Lavac toilet the other Lavac did good service for 35 years.The seacock on the water intake for the engine was replaced on the last haul out. We have the original 10 hp Volvo diesel. We changed a number of parts and all hoses under the watch eye of a brother in law who is a heavy duty mechanic and the engine just purred away. We found the best caulking after trying them all for bedding the lexan in the window frames and bedding the the frames to the coachhouse is Boatlife...the polysulphide/silicone mix. We have recently used a stainless steel finish behind and along the sides of the cooker/stove. It looks good.The doors in the head are bifold so the
              > head compartment can be closed off from the forepeak and the main cabin. The outside finish when they are closed up against the lavac head is teak and the finish behind the doors is white formica or a plastic laminate. The bulkhead above the galley and chart table is teak ply. Will send pics so G/S Noble S/V Whakarra...Nanaimo, BC, Canada.

            • Gary Noble
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 8, 2011
                hi
                I'm Gary's wife, with the Nic 30 in Nanaimo, B.C.
                We were surprised in replacing our windows that the same size is not available in B.C.  a sheet would have to be imported from Britain.  The local glass installer was great and helped us so we wouldn't be disappointed with the result.
                The first time we were surprised that the hull shaped changed when the tension was off the windows.  We had people stand on the deck till the screw holes lined up.
                Will forward pictures of our interior.
                We have teak behind the chart table.  The stairs are not teak, instead they substituted a piece in the cockpit as replacement.
                We installed SS behind a full size stove, and like the look.
                The next project may well be the foam.  At one time it seemed posh,but the bar for interiors has risen, and the three inch no longer seems enough.
                Don't know if Gary mentioned by we just replaced our head.
                An major project this summer was to find a replacement thermostat for the Volva MD1, and replace all the hoses.
                Today the weather is bright and we are on our way to the yacht club, just a mile away by boat from our door.
                Good to hear from you
                Sandy

                Thanks for the tips. No idea what the hull numbers is. Its not on any of the paperwork, do you know how i would find this?

                Thanks

                Bev

                --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Gary Noble <noble.gary@...> wrote:

                > Hi Bev and Brian, I took a look at the site. What hull number is Millie? I have seen a number of boats now mostly in ads for sale and marvel at the different finishes and layouts. I will share pics of Whakarra shortly as I do not have any interior shots at the moment. We just replaced the head with a new Lavac toilet the other Lavac did good service for 35 years.The seacock on the water intake for the engine was replaced on the last haul out. We have the original 10 hp Volvo diesel. We changed a number of parts and all hoses under the watch eye of a brother in law who is a heavy duty mechanic and the engine just purred away. We found the best caulking after trying them all for bedding the lexan in the window frames and bedding the the frames to the coachhouse is Boatlife...the polysulphide/silicone mix. We have recently used a stainless steel finish behind and along the sides of the cooker/stove. It looks good.The doors in the head are bifold so the
                > head compartment can be closed off from the forepeak and the main cabin. The outside finish when they are closed up against the lavac head is teak and the finish behind the doors is white formica or a plastic laminate. The bulkhead above the galley and chart table is teak ply. Will send pics so G/S Noble S/V Whakarra...Nanaimo, BC, Canada.

              • J-G Nadeau
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 8, 2011

                  We rebedded all the windows on our 42 after we had the uppers painted. Some were leaking prior to the job so this was a good excuse to get it done properly. Most were the original glass. One pane would not fit back where it came from (flat glass on a curved surface) We ended up putting in lexan, bedded with Dow corning 795. Haven’t had any problems since.

                  Don’t know if we will ever bring our back home to Victoria but time will tell.

                  Cheers, J-G

                  SV Gosling

                  C&N 46/6

                  Thanks for the tips. No idea what the hull numbers is. Its not on any of the paperwork, do you know how i would find this?

                  Thanks

                  Bev

                  --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Gary Noble <noble.gary@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Bev and Brian, I took a look at the site. What hull number is Millie? I have seen a number of boats now mostly in ads for sale and marvel at the different finishes and layouts. I will share pics of Whakarra shortly as I do not have any interior shots at the moment. We just replaced the head with a new Lavac toilet the other Lavac did good service for 35 years.The seacock on the water intake for the engine was replaced on the last haul out. We have the original 10 hp Volvo diesel. We changed a number of parts and all hoses under the watch eye of a brother in law who is a heavy duty mechanic and the engine just purred away. We found the best caulking after trying them all for bedding the lexan in the window frames and bedding the the frames to the coachhouse is Boatlife...the polysulphide/silicone mix. We have recently used a stainless steel finish behind and along the sides of the cooker/stove. It looks good.The doors in the head are bifold so the
                  > head compartment can be closed off from the forepeak and the main cabin. The outside finish when they are closed up against the lavac head is teak and the finish behind the doors is white formica or a plastic laminate. The bulkhead above the galley and chart table is teak ply. Will send pics so G/S Noble S/V Whakarra...Nanaimo, BC, Canada.

                • Bev Tolley
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 9, 2011
                    Hi Sandy

                    We are replacing the windows this week hopefully as they are currently out and the weather has not been kind! We have clear glass now but was considering changing to a dark tint. Undecided at the moment as they are pretty small windows not sure if it would be too dark inside with tinted? We are trying to keep the interior as original as possible but we will need to add some more cupboard space. We are also doing the foam this month we have 4 inches at the moment which looks a bit thin to me might look into 5 inches for a bit of luxury. I thought the inside would be easy, how wrong i was, but its the largest job that needs doing on her the rest is mainly cosmetic. She was owned from new by a brigadier general before us and im sure in her early years no expense was spared on her but due to ill health she ended up a little neglected. We looked around at many different yachts before deciding on this one, we were advised due to our relative inexperience and the waters around here to get a bilge keel, which is what we had before, but we fell in love with her immediately. We are trying to get as much done to her before April which is when we would like her back in the water.

                    Happy sailing!

                    Bev
                    --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Gary Noble <noble.gary@...> wrote:

                    > hi
                    > I'm Gary's wife, with the Nic 30 in Nanaimo, B.C.
                    > We were surprised in replacing our windows that the same size is not available in B.C.  a sheet would have to be imported from Britain.  The local glass installer was great and helped us so we wouldn't be disappointed with the result.
                    > The first time we were surprised that the hull shaped changed when the tension was off the windows.  We had people stand on the deck till the screw holes lined up.
                    > Will forward pictures of our interior.
                    > We have teak behind the chart table.  The stairs are not teak, instead they substituted a piece in the cockpit as replacement.
                    > We installed SS behind a full size stove, and like the look.
                    > The next project may well be the foam.  At one time it seemed posh,but the bar for interiors has risen, and the three inch no longer seems enough.
                    > Don't know if Gary mentioned by we just replaced our head.
                    > An major project this summer was to find a replacement thermostat for the Volva MD1, and replace all the hoses.
                    > Today the weather is bright and we are on our way to the yacht club, just a mile away by boat from our door.
                    > Good to hear from you
                    > Sandy

                  • Bev Tolley
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 9, 2011
                      Its difficult to tell as they have drilled through the hull number for the exhaust outlet, but best guess is hull #25

                      --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Gary Noble <noble.gary@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Bev, the number is fiberglassed on the inside of the stern/transom. The number is raised and quite large about 4 inches in height and about 1 inch in depth. That is an estimate as I'm trying to remember as I was working on the muffler whose outlet is on the port side of our boat. One has to crawl into the locker closest to the campanion way and then twist ones body in order to move back to the stern. Awkward but do able and I am not a small guy. I think that we have a brochure that shows the boat interior. I will locate the brochure scan it a forward in a future e-mail.
                      > We are off across the harbour to visit Whakarra today....cold but sunny. A 20 minute row from our place in Nanaimo Harbour ( east coast of Vancouver Island, British Columbia CDN). Just remembered there is 3 Nic 30s in the neighbourhood; one in Victoria B.C. hull 44 and one in Point Roberts, Washington USA hull# unknown. All the best Gary and Sandy Noble

                    • Gary Noble
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 9, 2011
                        Hi
                        Just a thought but one can get an amber or warm colour tint or a film that can be peeled on and off.  Gary bought me a Sail rite sewing machine so this spring I will be replacing the canvas.
                        I think the high density foam is worth the extra money.
                        Hull #44, Sana is in Victoria.  We found her last spring and were distressed to see her without a motor and in need of care. We have always considered her our sister ship.  We contacted her current owner, and she has answered back once.  Sana's previous owners, were much like your boat.  A retired high navy official owned her for a long period.
                        Write whenever you have time.
                        Sandy
                        P.S. Our computer sometimes cuts out and sends an unfinished e-mail.  Our apologies.

                        We are replacing the windows this week hopefully as they are currently out and the weather has not been kind! We have clear glass now but was considering changing to a dark tint. Undecided at the moment as they are pretty small windows not sure if it would be too dark inside with tinted? We are trying to keep the interior as original as possible but we will need to add some more cupboard space. We are also doing the foam this month we have 4 inches at the moment which looks a bit thin to me might look into 5 inches for a bit of luxury. I thought the inside would be easy, how wrong i was, but its the largest job that needs doing on her the rest is mainly cosmetic. She was owned from new by a brigadier general before us and im sure in her early years no expense was spared on her but due to ill health she ended up a little neglected. We looked around at many different yachts before deciding on this one, we were advised due to our relative inexperience and the waters around here to get a bilge keel, which is what we had before, but we fell in love with her immediately. We are trying to get as much done to her before April which is when we would like her back in the water.

                        Happy sailing!

                        Bev
                        --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Gary Noble <noble.gary@...> wrote:

                        > hi
                        > I'm Gary's wife, with the Nic 30 in Nanaimo, B.C.
                        > We were surprised in replacing our windows that the same size is not available in B.C.  a sheet would have to be imported from Britain.  The local glass installer was great and helped us so we wouldn't be disappointed with the result.
                        > The first time we were surprised that the hull shaped changed when the tension was off the windows.  We had people stand on the deck till the screw holes lined up.
                        > Will forward pictures of our interior.
                        > We have teak behind the chart table.  The stairs are not teak, instead they substituted a piece in the cockpit as replacement.
                        > We installed SS behind a full size stove, and like the look.
                        > The next project may well be the foam.  At one time it seemed posh,but the bar for interiors has risen, and the three inch no longer seems enough.
                        > Don't know if Gary mentioned by we just replaced our head.
                        > An major project this summer was to find a replacement thermostat for the Volva MD1, and replace all the hoses.
                        > Today the weather is bright and we are on our way to the yacht club, just a mile away by boat from our door.
                        > Good to hear from you
                        > Sandy

                      • Gary Noble
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 9, 2011
                          Hi
                          Just a thought but one can get an amber or warm colour tint or a film that can be peeled on and off.  Gary bought me a Sail rite sewing machine so this spring I will be replacing the canvas.
                          I think the high density foam is worth the extra money.
                          Hull #44, Sana is in Victoria.  We found her last spring and were distressed to see her without a motor and in need of care. We have always considered her our sister ship.  We contacted her current owner, and she answered back.  It seems that she works away from Canada and has plans to work on Sana.  Sana's previous owners, were much like your boat.  A retired high navy official who owned her for a long period.
                          Write whenever you have time.
                          Sandy
                          P.S. Our computer sometimes cuts out and sends an unfinished e-mail.  Our apologies.
                          As to storage, by the time all the sails are loaded it gets challenging.  We have seen the pilot berth filled in, but this could lead to the one side being loaded heavier than the other.
                          A friend has a 47'  boat.  We decided that after you took into account all the media stuff and books on board he had the same amount as active space as us.  Our answer is to keep basics and only enough stores for the current trip, usually a weekender or day trip, or a couple of weeks of holiday time.  If all else fails, there is always a waterfront pub.
                          In the future we may add storage alongside the forward berth.  Then again there is only the two of us.