Blown Air Heaters

  • nich3579
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 22 6:49 AM
      Hi everbody,
      I intend to install an air heater, either Eberspacher or Webasto in Nich 35 No79 "Dabbler".If any members who have done this can give me some advice on where to site the heater, how many outlets etc. I would be most grateful.
      Best wishes and seasons greetings,
      John
    • William E. Roesner
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 22 8:13 AM
        John,
        I have Epbersbacher on my Nich 31 ( which is about 18" -24" shorter in the interior accommodation) . There are 3 outlets / diffusers: one in the main saloon aft near the cabin sole from under the galley sink, the second is split in the head ( adjustable either in the hanging locker for drying wet foulies or into the head area itself, low, from behind and under the Lavac ), the third is in the V berth from the primary bulkhead overhead ( over sleeping bodies ).
        This is one of the best pieces of hardware I have on board and cannot recommend the installation of same on any boat. I have friends going south to the Bahamas currently and they are miserable with the cold in Florida, having only a little piss ant fireplace.
        I've cruised extensively in northern climes, Maine , Nova Scotia, Ireland , Scotland, Scandinavia etc. and was kept beautifully cozy and dry through what otherwise would have been really ugly periods. There were times when it was rainy and cold ( not to mention a little snow ) when I would turn on the furnace, go ashore for dinner and some fun, and return to the boat thru the rain, to find it warm and dry, like coming home should feel. You will love it, guaranteed.
        Cheers,
        Bill R.
        Blueprint
        Nic 31-113

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 22 10:42 AM
          Thank's for that William it's really helpful.

        • colin@azure-consulting.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 22 10:53 AM
            I would agree with all of the comments so far.

            I have had eberspacher on a previous boat and now have a webasto and definitely prefer it.

            Our layout is heater unit high up to rear of port cockpit locker. Ducting going through the bulkhead (we don't have a quarte berth) and on to two outlets in each 'arm' of the u shaped berth. On again through heads locker to outlet high up just above port shelf in fwd cabin.

            Fuel is taken from a spare connection on the primary fuel filter, controller is just behind the chart table seat and the temp sensor is at eye level when you are sitting tucked away inside the book case.

            We have the 3.5kw version and it is good for sub zero temps. If I was installing again I would go for the 2.5kw instead and run it harder. This is a good policy in any event.

            Also, all heater ducting is lagged. I would probably also only go for one outlet in the saloon which avoids compromising locker space and, in my view, one outlet is plenty.

            As I am in the caribbean right now (boat in uk) this all seems strangely academic but I hope it is helpful to you.

            Best

            Colin

            Trutz 35/225

            Colin Campbell-Dunlop
            Azure Consulting
            68 King William Street
            London EC4N 7DZ
            +44 20 7193 4232
            www.azure-consulting.com

            From: "nich3579" <john.stothart@...>
            Sender: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:49:32 -0000
            To: <campernicholson@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: [campernicholson] Blown Air Heaters

          • peterwalzer3@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 23 6:09 AM

              Does anyone have information about Webasto water circulation heater model TSL-17 (suremarineservices.com)? Advantages/disadvantages over air circulation? Installation experience?

              Peter (CN39/02)

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 23 9:41 AM
                Hi Peter,

                They are a local company here in Ballard and have an excellent
                reputation. The water circulation version is considered better and
                more expensive than the air. The air version is usually "quicker" to
                heat up the boat, and passive hose heat version appreciated by live
                aboards who want quiet. It's sometimes easier to pull hoses, than
                loose a lot of cupboard space with 4" ducts. If you go with the
                water, you may install the "red dot" heaters where the fans will warm
                things up quickly.

                The guys at Sure Marine have worked through these systems, repair
                them, and know all the bugs and idiosyncrasies. They have supplied
                me with better connectors and free advice, and I'd trust them. I
                don't work there, just buy propane and parts. . .

                Lee

                --
                www.leeyoungbloodphoto.com
              • ADRIAN
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 23 11:46 AM
                  Hi John,

                  With the help of a good friend, I have fitted two Eberspacher Hydronic 4 systems. one into a 28' Heard gaff cutter & the other one to our present boat Coriander, a Nic 35.
                  With regard to the position of the boiler, there aren't many options because of the length of the exhaust supplied. Ours is fitted in the std side of the stern locker with the exhaust out of the stern & a 3/4" ply separator to stop items in the locker falling against the heater. There is usually a flexible corrugated outer sleeve that is slid over the exhaust pipe as a heat protector. On our first installation I found this inadequate so on Coriander I wrapped the corrugated sleeve with heat resistant tape & wired it in position. It still became warm but would not melt ropes etc.
                  I fitted 3 heater matrixes that blow the warm air out, 2 in the main cabin & 1 in the fore cabin in the stb bunk so that it blows in to the wc compartment as well. I also fitted a new 40 ltr clarifier under the stern end of the stb main cabin bunk. We can now heat water in 3 ways, Eberspacher, engine or emersion when plugged in. Running 22mm plastic pipes through the boat may be easier than ducting but some people may find the fan noise of the heaters unacceptable. We haven't found this to be a problem & we also have an Aerogen 4 wind generator that keeps the batteries topped up. Owners of larger boats with wall space can use radiators & towel rails.

                  Hope this info is helpful, Merry Christmas, Adrian.
                • bluepearl
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 23 11:58 AM
                    We have the Eberspacher on Blue Pearl. I installed it in the lazarette, ran the tubing thru the coaming locker with one duct in the Nav station, one under the table and the third in the head closet. It worked great to keep the boat toasty and dry. One thing is to make sure you leave a hatch cracked so moisture has a way to exit .  We have experienced a failure of its little electronic brain (we got the seven day auto-timer) so have not used it for a while.

                    On other news, it seems our cruising life is ended so will take adice in listing her for sale, sadly.

                    Denece
                  • peterwalzer3@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 24 6:58 AM

                      Lee - Thank you for info. I also have purchased stuff thru Sure Marine and share your views of their knowledge and helpfulness.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 26 8:38 AM
                        Many Thanks to everybody who replied to my request for information on Heaters. Just one final question for Colin on Trutz, Why do you prefer the Webasto to Eberspacher?
                        Best wishes,
                        John

                      • colin@azure-consulting.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 26 10:44 AM
                          Hi John, webasto has better build quality for the marine environment and, crucially, is 'self cleaning' so does not suffer the coking up issues which can afflict the eber especially if you run them on a low heat setting. We have used ours for seven years now. Thus far 100% reliability.

                          Good luck with your installation.

                          Rgds

                          Colin

                          Colin Campbell-Dunlop
                          Azure Consulting
                          68 King William Street
                          London EC4N 7DZ
                          +44 20 7193 4232
                          www.azure-consulting.com

                          From: "nich3579" <john.stothart@...>
                          Sender: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 16:38:18 -0000
                          To: <campernicholson@yahoogroups.com>
                          ReplyTo: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                          Subject: [campernicholson] Re: Blown Air Heaters

                          Many Thanks to everybody who replied to my request for information on Heaters. Just one final question for Colin on Trutz, Why do you prefer the Webasto to Eberspacher?
                          Best wishes,
                          John

                          --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, colin@... wrote:

                          > I would agree with all of the comments so far.
                          >
                          > I have had eberspacher on a previous boat and now have a webasto and definitely prefer it.
                          >
                          > Our layout is heater unit high up to rear of port cockpit locker. Ducting going through the bulkhead (we don't have a quarte berth) and on to two outlets in each 'arm' of the u shaped berth. On again through heads locker to outlet high up just above port shelf in fwd cabin.
                          >
                          > Fuel is taken from a spare connection on the primary fuel filter, controller is just behind the chart table seat and the temp sensor is at eye level when you are sitting tucked away inside the book case.
                          >
                          > We have the 3.5kw version and it is good for sub zero temps. If I was installing again I would go for the 2.5kw instead and run it harder. This is a good policy in any event.
                          >
                          > Also, all heater ducting is lagged. I would probably also only go for one outlet in the saloon which avoids compromising locker space and, in my view, one outlet is plenty.
                          >
                          > As I am in the caribbean right now (boat in uk) this all seems strangely academic but I hope it is helpful to you.
                          >
                          > Best
                          >
                          > Colin
                          >
                          > Trutz 35/225
                          > Colin Campbell-Dunlop