Re: Simon's Nic 48

  • JOHN
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 1, 2010
      Hi, Simon,

      I have Nic 35, Amaryllis, and live in Scotland, so I'm not sure how applicable my experience is.

      1) This spring I took the external frames off the saloon windows, removed the windows and dug out all the green gunge in the recesses before resealing the windows and filling the cavities with clear silicon sealant. While refitting the frames I did my usual trick of filling any loose screw holes with broken match stick plugs. We've been out in F6/7 winds and breaking seas this summer and all is still in place and no leaks or weeps.

      If you need to replace windows, see if you can find a sign maker. The ones here use all colours of perspex and related materials and will have, or be able to get, clear material of the right thickness. Last winter, I took templates for new black instrument panels and a clear replacement engine panel cover to a local sign maker and he cut them out and drilled the screw holes in them, doing a perfect job at a reasonable price.

      3) Last winter I replaced my 1978 B&G instruments for a set of fully integrated Raymarine replacements plus plotter and freed up a lot of space at the chart table. However, in 2008, B&G refurbished the old masthead unit with more modern equivalent parts. I don't have an email address but you may be able to try through their website. The work was done by:

      Brookes & Gatehouse Service,
      Anchor House,
      Bath Road,
      Lymington, SO41 3YJ,
      UK

      Tel: +44(0) 1590 689699
      Fax: +44(0) 1590 610072

      Good luck,

      John

      --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "simon.roper@..." <simon.roper@...> wrote:

      > Hello to the group,
      > I have a Nich 48, she is based in Lefkas ,Greece and I would appreciate some help on the following -:
      > 1) Refurbishing/replacing saloon windows – options/experience?
      > 2) Fitting a stern swim platform/fixed boarding ladder – options/experience?
      > 3) Getting the original B&G Hengist/Horsa Model A wind system working – my mast head unit is broken!
      > Simon

    • Colin Campbell-Dunlop
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 1, 2010
        Dear All,

        I did this job a couple of years ago on our Nic 35, Trutz.

        The original portlights had started to craze so it was time to replace them.  I got a firm in Kent to make up new ones from the right thickness of perspex with a slight grey tint.  I used the old ones as models.

        Assuming that the window design on the 48 is the same it will be a fairly simple process.

        The window sits in a moulded double rebate with the screws tapping in to captive bronze nuts glassed in to the window surround.

        I removed all the screws and gently prised out the chrome/bronze surrounds.  After that, out came the old portlight and then I scraped out all of the old hatch tape which had become very brittle due to exposure to the elements.  I cleaned it all out with solvent and then took the opportunity to tidy up the moulding in places with some marine epoxy filler.  Campers were not too particular in this area of the boat when it came to lay up.

        I then put in new hatch tape of two different sizes in the rebates and finished up with the new window pushed gently in to place.  Having marked up the window surrounds it was easy to screw them back in to place.  Important note, do not be tempted to overtighten the screws.  I found that putting them all in loose and then going round clockwise giving each a quarter turn until just hand tight seemed to do the trick.

        The thickness and quality of the hatch tape is critical for this job.  We did it two years ago and have had no leaks.

        Good luck with it.

        Colin

        Trutz

        ps, we did have a leak in to the drinks locker but we eventually traced it to needing to re-seat the deck fitting for the storm jib eyes.

        I have Nic 35, Amaryllis, and live in Scotland, so I'm not sure how applicable my experience is.

        1) This spring I took the external frames off the saloon windows, removed the windows and dug out all the green gunge in the recesses before resealing the windows and filling the cavities with clear silicon sealant. While refitting the frames I did my usual trick of filling any loose screw holes with broken match stick plugs. We've been out in F6/7 winds and breaking seas this summer and all is still in place and no leaks or weeps.

        If you need to replace windows, see if you can find a sign maker. The ones here use all colours of perspex and related materials and will have, or be able to get, clear material of the right thickness. Last winter, I took templates for new black instrument panels and a clear replacement engine panel cover to a local sign maker and he cut them out and drilled the screw holes in them, doing a perfect job at a reasonable price.

        3) Last winter I replaced my 1978 B&G instruments for a set of fully integrated Raymarine replacements plus plotter and freed up a lot of space at the chart table. However, in 2008, B&G refurbished the old masthead unit with more modern equivalent parts. I don't have an email address but you may be able to try through their website. The work was done by:

        Brookes & Gatehouse Service,
        Anchor House,
        Bath Road,
        Lymington, SO41 3YJ,
        UK

        Tel: +44(0) 1590 689699
        Fax: +44(0) 1590 610072

        Good luck,

        John

        --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "simon.roper@..." <simon.roper@...> wrote:

        > Hello to the group,
        > I have a Nich 48, she is based in Lefkas ,Greece and I would appreciate some help on the following -:
        > 1) Refurbishing/replacing saloon windows – options/experience?
        > 2) Fitting a stern swim platform/fixed boarding ladder – options/experience?
        > 3) Getting the original B&G Hengist/Horsa Model A wind system working – my mast head unit is broken!
        > Simon

      • Colin Campbell-Dunlop
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 1, 2010
          Dear All again,

          this is the best place for Brookes and Gatehouse repairs.

          We had our masthead unit fixed early this year as it was not giving a proper reading.  There is a technical department too and they are very helpful.

          Unfortunately, if our experience is anything to go by prepare yourself for open wallet surgery.  The rebuild of the unit cost about £300.

          Colin

          I have Nic 35, Amaryllis, and live in Scotland, so I'm not sure how applicable my experience is.

          1) This spring I took the external frames off the saloon windows, removed the windows and dug out all the green gunge in the recesses before resealing the windows and filling the cavities with clear silicon sealant. While refitting the frames I did my usual trick of filling any loose screw holes with broken match stick plugs. We've been out in F6/7 winds and breaking seas this summer and all is still in place and no leaks or weeps.

          If you need to replace windows, see if you can find a sign maker. The ones here use all colours of perspex and related materials and will have, or be able to get, clear material of the right thickness. Last winter, I took templates for new black instrument panels and a clear replacement engine panel cover to a local sign maker and he cut them out and drilled the screw holes in them, doing a perfect job at a reasonable price.

          3) Last winter I replaced my 1978 B&G instruments for a set of fully integrated Raymarine replacements plus plotter and freed up a lot of space at the chart table. However, in 2008, B&G refurbished the old masthead unit with more modern equivalent parts. I don't have an email address but you may be able to try through their website. The work was done by:

          Brookes & Gatehouse Service,
          Anchor House,
          Bath Road,
          Lymington, SO41 3YJ,
          UK

          Tel: +44(0) 1590 689699
          Fax: +44(0) 1590 610072

          Good luck,

          John

          --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "simon.roper@..." <simon.roper@...> wrote:

          > Hello to the group,
          > I have a Nich 48, she is based in Lefkas ,Greece and I would appreciate some help on the following -:
          > 1) Refurbishing/replacing saloon windows – options/experience?
          > 2) Fitting a stern swim platform/fixed boarding ladder – options/experience?
          > 3) Getting the original B&G Hengist/Horsa Model A wind system working – my mast head unit is broken!
          > Simon

        • JIM TEIPEN
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 1, 2010
            We replaced all saloon ports on our CN 35 in 2005.  As others have mentioned, it basically involves removing the screws on the outside frames and getting the glass out.
             In our case, the windows had been sealed with glazing tape, which was old and dried out, therefore it wasn't difficult to get the glass out intact.   We took the frames to a company that specializes in refurbishing metal parts for automobile restoration.  They stripped off the old chrome and filled some badly pitted areas with brass and then replated them with chrome.  It wasn't cheap, but the results were excellent and they still look new 5 years later.    We did some fairing of the port recesses and screw holes with epoxy where necessary, then resealed the ports with clear silicone glazing sealant taking care to seal each screw hole as well.  Everything was reassembled using new stainless steel screws in the frames.   No leaks since.

            Jim
            Alegria
            CN 35 - 68

            To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 2, 2010

              Who did you send the frames to?

              Bob Lemmer

              Clara May

              35-2

              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 2, 2010
                Bob,

                I took them to

                Sherm's Custom Plating in Sacramento, California

                Here's a link to their website http://www.shermsplating.com

                I got their name from two different automobile restoration shops in my area.  Apparently they have quite a good reputation among restorers, and as I mentioned, my experience with them and the quality of the work was excellent.   I think there is a picture of some of the ports in the group photo section under the file 'Alegria Headliner Project'.

                Some years before that,  I used an industrial plater in Oakland, California to replate the stanchion bases on my boat.  Unfortunately, quite a bit of the chrome that they put on started flaking off after a year or two, so I definitely didn't want a repeat of that experience.

                Jim
                Alegria
                CN - 35 68

                To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                From: boblemmer@...
                Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 09:05:01 +0100

                Jim

                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 5, 2010
                  Welcome Simon

                  I have a old N 32 so no idea except I took apart all the window frames and sealed using 3M 101 I did this some 20 years ago and they still do not leak. For all the deck penetrations I remove the fastners drill a hole with a three quarter inch hole saw and pour a epoxy bushing redrill the hole and seal the fastener with 101. Good luch john

                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 8, 2010
                    Thanks John,

                    Off to Lefkas this week end for a few weeks to sort out windows
                    (amongst other things!)Let you know how I get on.

                    Simon