Re: [campernicholson] Saloon table ideas

  • William E. Roesner
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2010
      Richard,
      Typically the table base is bolted into a large ( maybe 2' square) , thick (1/2-3/4" ) aluminum plate which is itself screwed down to stringers etc. You could verify this if you could take up the cabin sole. If so on your boat simply drill new holes a little bit away from the original, tap ( rethread ) the aluminum plate to match the bolts and reattach the the table base. Find the appropriate size teak bungs ( plugs ) fill in any exposed holes, finish same and you should be home free.
      Cheers,
      Bill
      'Blueprint' CN31-113

      On Aug 28, 2010, at 6:52 PM, J-G Nadeau wrote:

      Can you describe what you have now, the damaged one? A photo would be excellent. Wonder if it is similar to the one in our Nic 42.

      J-G

      Gosling CN42-06

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1 2:34 AM
        Richard

        To save repositioning the table pedestal bolt holes [if the threads in the aluminium plate are stripped], investigate Helicoil thread inserts which should be readily available. Google threw up suppliers when I looked.

        Regards

        John
        35/209 Blue Days

        --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "William E. Roesner" <blueprintbill@...> wrote:

        > Richard,
        > Typically the table base is bolted into a large ( maybe 2' square) ,
        > thick (1/2-3/4" ) aluminum plate which is itself screwed down to
        > stringers etc. You could verify this if you could take up the cabin
        > sole. If so on your boat simply drill new holes a little bit away
        > from the original, tap ( rethread ) the aluminum plate to match the
        > bolts and reattach the the table base. Find the appropriate size teak
        > bungs ( plugs ) fill in any exposed holes, finish same and you should
        > be home free.
        > Cheers,
        > Bill
        > 'Blueprint' CN31-113
        >
        > On Aug 28, 2010, at 6:52 PM, J-G Nadeau wrote:
        >

        > > Can you describe what you have now, the damaged one? A photo would
        > > be excellent. Wonder if it is similar to the one in our Nic 42.
        > >
        > > J-G
        > >
        > > Gosling CN42-06

      • Katie and Simon
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1 7:40 AM
          When I re-did the bolts in our table-mounting some years ago I seem to remember that I simply flipped over the rectangular aluminium plate end-for-end. That gave me fresh aluminium under the existing holes in the pedestal and floor. All I had to do was drill and tap four new holes in the aluminium plate.

          I also replaced the slot-headed machine screws holding down the table with hex-head ones so that I could more easily torque them down with a wrench. Be careful not to strip the aluminium threads again though!

          Simon
          Gin Rummy, CN35-202

          To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
          From: bluedays209@...