Re: Welcome to campernicholson@onelist.com

  • Harrison Evatt
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 29, 1999
      Bedded the Lexan into aluminum Canpa hatch frame using a commercial GE silicone
      sealant called Silproof 2000. You can find info on it at the GE Silicones web
      site, but it is very hard to locate a supply. Only commercial building product
      distributors may carry it. A woodworker/boat repairer recommended it to me and
      also had a supply. It is designed to use with Lexan ( polycarbonate), unlike
      most of the marine silicones. The primary application is weathersealing in
      commercial building construction. It evidently forms a great, long lasting,
      strong seal. I have just completed my project 8 weeks ago, all is well; neat and
      no leaks. It has a longer tooling time than marine silicones and this allows you
      more time to get the job right.
      Harrison

      Denece &/or Bob Vincent wrote:

      > From: "Denece &/or Bob Vincent" <bluepearl@...>
      >
      > Hello Circe
      > Welcome. As You have noticed, this is not a real active list at the moment.
      > I know we have been off a bit sailing (yay!) and in the yard for a week (no
      > problems, yay again). While its quiet is a good time to wander through our
      > archives, which for all their user-unfriendliness, have a lot of good info.
      > Please feel free to add your info to our profiles and to the shared files
      > area (which could really use some files!)
      > I think we'll all be glad to share DIY with you....for instance what DID you
      > bed that Lexan in? That is one of my next projects. Right now they look
      > awful but don't leak so I have been holding off.
      >
      > Again, Welcome!
      >
      > Denece
      > Your Moderator when she is not off aboard....
      >
      > Blue Pearl a 1978 CN 35

      > You can WIN $100 to Amazon.com by starting a new list at ONElist.
      > Drawing is held each week through August 20. For details, go to
      > http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html

    • R. van Zoest
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 3, 1999
        nice to come across this list , as its good to use a computer for the most
        enjoyable hobby as sailing a nic 35.
        we own horsefeathers, hull no 166 since 96. bought her in the caribbean and
        cruised there for 6 months. we had her sailed back to the netherlands and
        now cruise her on a holiday and weekend basis in colder waters.
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 3, 1999
          Gee, Blue Pearl is hull #163 so we're close 'relatives'. Have you changed
          much since you got her? I'm espescially curious if you've fitted a heater?
          If so what type and where did you put it?
          All Ears!
          Denece
        • stevan oswill
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 21, 1999
            Hi Denece, thanks for the welcome. I'm a new owner of a CN32. I live in
            Portland, OR and the boat is berthed in Astoria, OR.

            I was looking through the message arhive and noticed a reference to Bodega
            Bay and Monterey in one of your messages. I'm assuming the you must be in
            the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm originally from the East Bay and relocated
            to Portland about 20 years ago although my parents are still in San Leandro
            and I visit them periodically each year. I sailed as a kid on the San
            Francisco Bay and still have fond memories of those days.

            I look forward to corresponding with other CN owners and picking their
            brains about fixes/upgrades to my boat.

            Do you ever take your boat to the San Jauns?

            Stevan Oswill

            >From: campernicholson-owner@onelist.com
            >To: stevan_oswill@...
            >Subject: [campernicholson] Welcome to campernicholson@onelist.com
            >Date: 21 Sep 1999 15:25:30 -0000
            >
            >Hello,
            >
            >Welcome aboard the CamperNicholson list. The members of this
            > list include those who own or sail a Camper and those who simply
            > have an interest in one of the world's finest yachts. This list has no
            > affiliation with the Camper Nicholson Company, we are a group of
            > enthusiasts. However, we will be glad to furnish contact information
            > if you wish to contact the builders and do not know how to do so.
            >Be sure to let us know who you are and don't hesitate to ask questions.
            >We are all in the same boat here!
            >
            >Now, Please take a moment to review this message.
            >
            >To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
            >www.onelist.com, and select the User Info link from the menu bar
            >on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription
            >between digest and normal mode.
            >
            >Please keep all posts on topic. If you fail to do so, you will be
            >unsubscribed from the list.
            >

            >Thanks,
            >
            >Denece Vincent -sv- Blue Pearl CN35 #163
            >The List Owner

          • Mitch Traphagen
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 23, 1999
              Hello Stevan -

              Welcome to the list! Michelle and I live aboard our Nic 32, Hetty Brace.

              Are you aware of the Nic 32 Association? It's quite active and they have a
              great web site with a members only section that includes a ton of information
              about our boats - everything from articles by C&N to technical drawings to
              articles by owners who've made modifications, etc. If you'd like more info,
              just e-mail me at hettybrace@...

              Again, welcome!

              Mitch
              S/V Hetty Brace
              Nicholson 32
              Tampa, Florida

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 23, 1999
                Mitch, thanks for the kind welcome. I am aware of the Nic 32 Association and
                have already asked for information about joining.

                I've read about the exploits of your family and boat on the web and applaud
                your efforts to follow your dream. I notice that in the specifications for
                your boat that you have a 40 gal fuel tank. The tank on my boat is only 18
                gal which is less than I'd like. What kind of fuel tank do you have
                installed and where?

                I live in Portland, OR and my boat (CN32 MK 10, "Iris") is berthed in
                Astoria, OR at the mouth of the Columbia River. I already have plans to move
                the boat to the San Juans for the spring/summer next year. Eventually I want
                to take the boat south to Baja California and the Sea of Cortez. After that
                - who knows.

                Please keep up the web site for those of us who haven't yet managed to
                escape the rat race. Buying this boat is the first step for me along that
                path. I'm also in the midst of changing my career from full time employment
                in the Information Technology field to consulting to give me more time off
                to enjoy myself.

                Please keep in touch and I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

                Regards,

                Stevan Oswill

              • evatt@xxxxxxxxx.xxxx
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 26, 1999
                  I have a PSS shaft seal on my Nicholson 31. I don't see how a PSS shaft
                  seal can score a shaft. The shaft turns inside of the bellows part of the
                  PSS which is attached to the stern tube by hose clamps; the inboard end of
                  the bellows has a graphite
                  face which doesn't touch anything except the face of the stainless "donut" .
                  The stainless "donut" part of the PSS is held in position on the shaft by
                  allen screws set at
                  a 90 degree angle with two nitrile O rings inside the donut against the
                  shaft. The "spring" pressure of the PSS
                  bellows pushes the carbon flange end of the bellows lightly against the
                  stainless donut which is rotating with the shaft. The faces of the carbon
                  flange and the donut "seat" upon initial installation and form the
                  watertight seal.
                  There really can't be any scoring of the shaft, especially compared to
                  conventional stuffing
                  boxes/glands which rely on pressure of a flax or teflon material pressed
                  against the shaft to keep the water out. The shaft is always wearing against
                  the packing material in
                  a conventional stuffing box. I love the PSS. After 12 years of
                  contortionist stuffing box tightening, I 'm glad to have a dry bilge and no
                  maintenance on this hard to reach part. Check out the PSS web site.

                  Harrison
                • Bryan Thiessen
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 14, 1999
                    Thank-you for the welcome message. I am the owner of a Nicholson 32 MKVII
                    "Slipper of Emsworth", living in the south of England. I learned of your
                    site from our Nicholson 32 Association site and am keen to take a look.
                    Regards,
                    Bryan Thiessen
                    >Welcome aboard the CamperNicholson list. The members of this
                    > list include those who own or sail a Camper and those who simply
                    > have an interest in one of the world's finest yachts. This list has no
                    > affiliation with the Camper Nicholson Company, we are a group of
                    > enthusiasts. However, we will be glad to furnish contact information
                    > if you wish to contact the builders and do not know how to do so.
                    >Be sure to let us know who you are and don't hesitate to ask questions.
                    >We are all in the same boat here!
                    >
                    >Now, Please take a moment to review this message.
                    >
                    >To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
                    >www.onelist.com, and select the User Info link from the menu bar
                    >on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription
                    >between digest and normal mode.
                    >
                    >Please keep all posts on topic. If you fail to do so, you will be
                    >unsubscribed from the list.
                    >

                    >Thanks,
                    >
                    >Denece Vincent -sv- Blue Pearl CN35 #163
                    >The List Owner

                  • Steve Titcomb
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 17, 1999
                      Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I'd appreciate information on how to contact
                      the yard directly. Thanks.
                      Steve & Elaine Titcomb
                      Owners of Nicholson 31, 'October'
                    • York-Miller, Michael
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 17, 1999
                        Steve,
                        The e-mail address for C&N Gosport, UK (which is presumably what you
                        require) is:
                        sales@... <mailto:sales@...>
                        if you need their phone number I can get it for you.
                        Mike York-Miller ("Vortex")

                        Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I'd appreciate information on how to
                        contact
                        the yard directly. Thanks.
                        Steve & Elaine Titcomb
                        Owners of Nicholson 31, 'October'

                        forms and passwords with just one click! Comes with $50 in free
                        coupons!