RE: [campernicholson] Wheel Steering

  • Katie and Simon
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 24, 2010
    Hello Bob,

    I don't know where's the best place to buy a steering pedestal, but I do have an alternative proposition which you might like to consider. I'm sure Clara May is a special boat, especially being just number 2 of all the Nic 35's built. But your email made me wonder whether you would be interested in buying a newer Nic 35 which is already in the Ionian and Med-ready.

    Katie and I have owned "Gin Rummy" since 1998, and she's been in the Med since 2000. She's currently on the hard in Preveza, Greece. When we packed her up last October we planned to return this spring, but family issues intervened and we are currently in Toronto taking care of my parents in law. Just in the last month we had an unexpected opportunity to buy a 40' boat at a good price, and we've decided to go ahead. The boat is in New York, USA, and we expect to finalise the sale at the end of July.

    So Gin Rummy will be going up for sale. My plan is to head to Greece towards the end of this year to remove our personal gear from the boat and prepare her for sale. It's a long shot but I wondered if you might be interested in buying her instead of embarking on the cost and inconvenience of upgrading Clara May.

    Gin Rummy is a 1982 Mk V boat, No. 202, and she's in pretty good shape. The Mk V had the improved accommodation layout and the larger rudder, and Gin Rummy came with the optional 3' taller mast. She's well set up for Med cruising, with wheel steering, bimini, new refrigeration, solar panels, high output alternator, and a custom gravity holding tank. She was repowered in 1990 with a Perkins 4-108, and she has a 2-bladed MaxProp which is a big help for Med mooring.

    We haven't even considered a price yet, but she will be going cheaply as we would prefer to sell her quickly. If we can avoid brokerage fees we'll pass that on to the buyer too, so she'll be a real bargain for somebody. I don't think price will be an issue.

    I've started putting together an MS Works document listing the key equipment, which I've attached to this email.

    I've also pulled together a few pictures which should give you an idea of Gin Rummy's overall condition. Here a link to the album:

    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=231225&id=709545638&l=1f79ae16df

    I understand that this is not what you were planning, but thought it might be an interesting option for you to consider. Let me know if you're at all interested in following up.

    Kind regards,

    Simon Garrison
    Gin Rummy, CN35-202

    To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
    From: boblemmer@...
    Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 09:02:55 +0000
    Subject: [campernicholson] Wheel Steering

    We have taken the reluctant decision to convert Clara May, (35/02), from tiller to wheel. We are thinking of basing her in the Ionian from next year and it makes the fitting of a Bimini and the adjustment to a more "cockpit" based lifestyle that much easier.

    Does anyone know of the whereabouts of a spare wheel and pedastel?

    Bob Lemmer
    Clara May (35/02)

    Look 'em in the eye: FREE Messenger video chat Chat Now!
  • J-G Nadeau
    Message 2 of 24 , Jun 24, 2010

      Hi

      Just saw your album. Nice boat! We have a Nic 42 and keep her in Mexico and migrate from Victoria, BC to the boat for 6 months every year. We don’t see many Nics in the Sea of cortez or along the western Mexican coast but we did meet one 35 (Victory, US reg)this past season. It was fun to compare fittings and construction techniques and other similarities between the two models. Ours is blue, (repainted from the original white by a previous owner) and Victory was the same colour. She looked like our little sister boat...

      There were only 14  of the 42s made and I haven’t been able to get hold of any others on this forum to compare notes with. It has been fun reading the posts on the other models.

      Our long-term goal is to end up in the Med a few years from now. Did you sail Gin Rummy there or did you buy her in Europe? I take it from your e-mail that you are Canadian (or wife is).

      Hope you have as much fun with your new boat.

      Cheers, J-G Nadeau

      SV Gosling

      From: boblemmer@...
      Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 09:02:55 +0000

      We have taken the reluctant decision to convert Clara May, (35/02), from tiller to wheel. We are thinking of basing her in the Ionian from next year and it makes the fitting of a Bimini and the adjustment to a more "cockpit" based lifestyle that much easier.

      Does anyone know of the whereabouts of a spare wheel and pedastel?

      Bob Lemmer
      Clara May (35/02)

      Look 'em in the eye: FREE Messenger video chat Chat Now!

    • William E. Roesner
      Message 3 of 24 , Jun 24, 2010
        Simon,
        Gin Rummy looks great and your idea for Bob ( Clara May ) to trade in an old model for an old model ( that's a joke relating to a male propensity to do same with the opposite sex ) is a great one. How many 35's are there with a tiller?  As the owner of Nic 31-113 it seems sacrilegious to go to wheel for tiller. All that complication and potential for problems.  Good luck with the offer.
        Cheers,
        Bill R.
        Blueprint

        To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com

        Message 4 of 24 , Jun 24, 2010

          For your information; we believe Clara May is the only 35 with the original tiller.

          Regards

          Bob Lemmer

          Message 5 of 24 , Jun 24, 2010

            Dear Simon

            Many thanks for your kind offer. One of the reasons that we decided to purchase Clara May in May 2009 was the amount of care, and clearly money, that previous owners had lavished upon her; when we purchased her she had been completely re-wired, re-gas lined, new winch, new head lining, new upholstery and osmosis treatment, together with, new radar, new chartplotter, new switch panel, new heater, new fans, new oven et al. We have since had a new holding tank and new fresh water tank added. She also has the taller rig following an argument with a lifting crane early in her life.

            For all of the above we want to keep her, and in truth, there is not a lot needs upgrading for the Med. The wheel would be a bonus but is not essential.

            Regards

            Bob Lemmer

            Message 6 of 24 , Jun 26, 2010
              Dear Bob and Simon,

              I'm about to move Boreas J (Hull No. 178, 1979) from Lisbon into the Med for the next several years, and I need to get a holding tank installed. Bob, I read you had a new one installed - where did you put it and wass it an expensive and complicated job? Simon, the same answer to you if you have one. Thanks very much, any info will greatly appreciated!.

              regards, John Crosby

              Message 7 of 24 , Jun 26, 2010

                Dear John

                The tank is fitted above and behind the existing toilet. The job was done by Rustler Yachts in Falmouth . Their original quote was £1100 plus £385 for a new Jabisco toilet as well. The tank is in mild steel with a valve to switch between sea and tank, a manual pump for evacuating at sea, and a deck opening to allow for marina pump out, should the facility be available.

                We are very happy, but if we were to do it again we would make the following changes;

                1. The tank would be plastic and not mild steel; this would allow for a visual guide as to the level of the contents. We queried why it was mild steel but were assured that Rustlers fit the same to all of their own yachts.

                1. The pipes now make it very difficult to access the seacock behind the toilet; infact we may have to cut an inspection hatch through from the saloon bulkhead.

                Regards

                Bob Lemmer

                    From: boblemmer@lemmer. co.uk
                    Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 09:02:55 +0000

                    --
                    Brian
                    Living aboard in Victoria
                    Message 10 of 24 , Jun 27, 2010

                      Dear Brian and Graham

                      Yes, I must admit I was a bit taken aback by the material used; as indeed was the Surveyor we used as a Project Manager. The first we both knew of the material was when it was in situ. However, Rustler’s have guaranteed their work; their own yachts are towards the top end of the range of UK yachts and they have assured us that it is what they use and they do not get any problems. I guess only time will tell!

                      Regards

                      Bob Lemmer

                      From: boblemmer@lemmer. co.uk
                      Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 09:02:55 +0000

                      We have taken the reluctant decision to convert Clara May, (35/02), from tiller to wheel. We are thinking of basing her in the Ionian from next year and it makes the fitting of a Bimini and the adjustment to a more "cockpit" based lifestyle that much easier.

                      Does anyone know of the whereabouts of a spare wheel and pedastel?

                      Bob Lemmer
                      Clara May (35/02)

                      Look 'em in the eye: FREE Messenger video chat Chat Now!

                      size=2 width="100%" align=center>

                      Spam
                      Not spam
                      Forget previous vote

                    • Brian Stannard

                        Message 12 of 24 , Jun 28, 2010
                          Bob,

                          I believe that Edson equipment was used for pedestal and all things steering particularly the later boats...I think it was Gibb originally when an 'A' frame pedestal was fitted, but I think they have gone out of business now now....mine from 1979 is all Edson as is other friends who share the single pedestal.
                          American firm with agents globally so you won't find the bits cheap, but their online catalogue will allow you to look for suitable parts and they have a technical department should you need specific advice.
                          Good luck
                          Simon

                          Message 13 of 24 , Jun 28, 2010
                            Hi Bob,

                            It sounds as though you got yourself a great boat, and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with her in the Med.

                            At least you gave me a wake-up call to start thinking about what we're going to do with Gin Rummy. For the last month or so we've been concentrating on the new boat!

                            If anyone out there hears of someone looking for a Nic 35 do keep us in mind, although it'll be a few months still before we've really organised ourselves to get her ready for sale.

                            Thanks,

                            Simon

                            To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                            From: boblemmer@...
                            Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 23:35:26 +0100

                            Dear Simon

                            Many thanks for your kind offer. One of the reasons that we decided to purchase Clara May in May 2009 was the amount of care, and clearly money, that previous owners had lavished upon her; when we purchased her she had been completely re-wired, re-gas lined, new winch, new head lining, new upholstery and osmosis treatment, together with, new radar, new chartplotter, new switch panel, new heater, new fans, new oven et al. We have since had a new holding tank and new fresh water tank added. She also has the taller rig following an argument with a lifting crane early in her life.

                            For all of the above we want to keep her, and in truth, there is not a lot needs upgrading for the Med. The wheel would be a bonus but is not essential.

                            Regards

                            Bob Lemmer

                            Enter for a chance to get your town photo on Bing.ca! Submit a Photo Now!
                          • Katie and Simon
                            Message 14 of 24 , Jun 28, 2010
                              Hello John,

                              There was quite a discussion about holding tanks back in January of this year. Here's a cut and paste from one of my previous messages:

                              "I'll offer a thought on the holding tank. We didn't have a holding tank on Gin Rummy before 2005 so we were starting from scratch. We chose to go with a gravity tank located in the hanging locker behind the Lavac. It offers many advantages over a below-the-waterline tank. It is simple - just close the seacock when you're in a bay or harbour, and open it when you've left. There are no extra pumps or valves to worry about. There is no residue left sitting in the tank as it is constantly flushed. It takes up very little space and leaves the under-berth lockers available for storage. Etc.

                              We made a model of the tank out of thin plywood and had it made up by a professional shop in some sort of plastic (I can't remember which plastic, but it is the correct one for holding tanks!). It cost us 130 Euros in 2005 including the tank fittings. The tank has four connections - 3 on the top (inlet from Lavac pump, breather, and deck pump-out) and one on the bottom (outlet to seacock). We positioned the deck connection directly above the outlet connection so that we could rod the tank outlet from on deck if it ever became blocked - but that hasn't been a problem.

                              I would definitely recommend this option. I seem to remember that the tank capacity is around 80 litres. And it doesn't smell! I will try an attach a couple of pics to this email."

                              If you check back in the archives around message #5028 you'll find the thread and some pics. A detailed description of how we built our tank is in message #5032. Let me know if you have any problems accessing these messages, or if you have some further questions.

                              We are very happy with our holding tank. It's easy to use, maintenance free, and best of all it doesn't smell. On our new boat which we are just in the process of buying I am planning to convert the GRP holding tank which is under the forward berth to a spare diesel tank, and install a polypropylene gravity holding tank in the wet locker in the head just as we did on Gin Rummy. That way I can get rid of all the pumps and valves and keep things simple.

                              Hope this helps.

                              Regards,

                              Simon
                              Gin Rummy, CN35-202

                              To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                              From: john57crosby@...
                              Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 05:42:48 -0700

                              Dear Bob and Simon,

                              I'm about to move Boreas J (Hull No. 178, 1979) from Lisbon into the Med for the next several years, and I need to get a holding tank installed. Bob, I read you had a new one installed - where did you put it and wass it an expensive and complicated job? Simon, the same answer to you if you have one. Thanks very much, any info will greatly appreciated! .

                              regards, John Crosby

                              Enter for a chance to get your town photo on Bing.ca! Submit a Photo Now!
                            • Thomas J Middelthon
                              Message 15 of 24 , Jul 6 3:00 PM

                                Hello

                                The hydraulic system of North Wind CN 35 # 40 , Perkins 4:107 has been working fine after recond/new hydr pump/motor giving app 6 knots at 15-1600 RPM.

                                After topping up with hydraulic oil I am now experiencing slightly reduced performance, max rpm is reduced and speed is also  slightly reduced. I do not know if this is a coincidence or what…..

                                Does any one of you know how sensitive the system is to the accurate amount of hydr oil ? what would the correct amount be, looking into the tank ?

                                Any comments or thoughts ?

                                Thomas J. Middelthon

                                Stavanger, Norway

                              • O. R. Armstrong
                                Message 16 of 24 , Jul 7 12:41 AM
                                  Thomas,

                                    It appears from what you said that there was enough hydraulic oil in the reservoir before you "topped it up" so that the system ran fine. That being the case, it doesn't seem to me that adding more hydraulic oil to the reservoir would cause a decrease in performance. I don't think the amount in the reservoir makes much difference, as long as there's enough supply to keep up with the demand from the pump. However -- and this is a long shot -- it's possible that the oil you added was of a higher viscosity than what was already in the reservoir. But I think it would have to be considerably "thicker" for that to make a noticeable difference in performance.

                                    Have you changed the hydraulic oil filter?

                                    I assume you are not leaking oil on the pressure side of the pump; that would be very noticeable. But could you have a loose fitting on the supply hose, or a cracked supply hose, that might be sucking air? Is the oil that is returned to the reservoir foamy?

                                    I had my pump and motor re-conditioned over the winter, but I'm not in the water yet. I plan on flushing out the entire system before hooking up the hoses, to be sure that no grit or contamination could get into the pump or motor. The tolerances are quite fine in hydraulic equipment.

                                    Russ Armstrong

                                  On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Thomas J Middelthon <middel@...> wrote:

                                  Hello

                                  The hydraulic system of North Wind CN 35 # 40 , Perkins 4:107 has been working fine after recond/new hydr pump/motor giving app 6 knots at 15-1600 RPM.

                                  After topping up with hydraulic oil I am now experiencing slightly reduced performance, max rpm is reduced and speed is also  slightly reduced. I do not know if this is a coincidence or what…..

                                  Does any one of you know how sensitive the system is to the accurate amount of hydr oil ? what would the correct amount be, looking into the tank ?

                                  Any comments or thoughts ?

                                  Thomas J. Middelthon

                                  Stavanger, Norway

                                  --
                                  Arnold Toynbee recalled the mood of Her Majesty’s 1897 jubilee as follows: “There is, of course, a thing called history, but history is something unpleasant that happens to other people. We are comfortably outside all of that I am sure.”
                                • JOHN LARSON
                                  Message 17 of 24 , Jul 7 8:15 AM
                                    Russ and Thomas,

                                    The hydraulic tank on Passport is large, eight gallons or more, I think.  Somewhere I remember reading in the literature that came with the boat, that the tank should be quite full in order to keep the hydraulic oil temp low.

                                    Russ, will you be on the Chesapeake in September?  We'll be launching the first part of that month barring hurricane problems.  It would be fun to get together.

                                    John and Sandy

                                    s/v Passport, CN 35 #85

                                      Message 19 of 24 , Jul 7 3:25 PM

                                        Thank you for comments Graham and Russ;

                                        I have this evening changed the filter and thus also reduces the amount of oil app 2 litres. No change in performance.

                                        The oil I used was the same and correct oil….. maybe there is no connection here with me topping up with oil. It could of course be something with the old engine. Or maybe my Autoprop – which works great – is more sensitive to foul than I have realized and maybe it has become just a little bit fouled due to not enough use the last few weeks. I will take a look at it one day.

                                        But I do not like It when performace changes like that, I have lost app 2500-300RPM compared to what I used to have on max, I can now reach app 2 300 RPM on max.

                                        Leaving for 4 weeks of cruising Norwegian west coast/fjords this Friday.

                                        All the best