Re: [campernicholson] Inner Forestay

    Message 1 of 18 , May 31, 2010
      Rick,

      Our CN35 (#220) came from the factory rigged for a solent stay.  There was a pad eye on deck just forward of the windlass, and two extra "halyards", one of which served as a removable stay and one as the halyard.  We only used it for a hanked-on storm jib in >28kt conditions, but it performed pretty well considering it wasn't technically as robust as a conventional inner forestay.

      Graham

      On 5/31/2010 11:25 AM, wispcb wrote:

      Howdy,
      Has anyone installed an inner forestay on their CN35? I've been sailing our CN35(141) 'Wisp' for many (20+) years and in blustery conditions I sometimes miss the flexibility an inner stay can provide. My previous boat was cutter rigged and it was sure nice to drop the jib, raise the staysail, (reefed main) and have everything inboard. The boat still sails well (great) with either my 'heavy' jib or storm jib, but a small headsail, well inboard, moves all effort (mine and the winds) closer to the middle (safer) part of the vessel.

      Thanks for any info provided.

      Rick, CN35 'Wisp'

    • tom1us2001a
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 1, 2010
        Rick,

        I came across the following article once, thought it may be of interest to you.

        http://www.oceannavigator.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=CF69AFCD59A94E28B273F7E55701A345

        Tom
        CN35-199 Dream

        --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "wispcb" <wisp03@...> wrote:

        > Howdy,
        > Has anyone installed an inner forestay on their CN35? I've been sailing our CN35(141) 'Wisp' for many (20+) years and in blustery conditions I sometimes miss the flexibility an inner stay can provide. My previous boat was cutter rigged and it was sure nice to drop the jib, raise the staysail, (reefed main) and have everything inboard. The boat still sails well (great) with either my 'heavy' jib or storm jib, but a small headsail, well inboard, moves all effort (mine and the winds) closer to the middle (safer) part of the vessel.
        >
        > Thanks for any info provided.
        >
        > Rick, CN35 'Wisp'

      • Rick
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 22, 2011
          Howdy,
          Has anyone added an inner forestay to their CN35 ?
          Thanks for any info.
          Rick
          Nic35 141 'Wisp'
        • john crosby
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 22, 2011
            Yes, I did about 2 years ago - and I'm very pleased I did. What info would you like? regards John, Boreas J, Hull No. 178

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 22, 2011
              Rick,

              A solent stay was part of the original design for many Nic35's.  Typically it was implemented with the second masthead wire-to-rope halyard being brought down to the aft end of the stem-head fitting behind the furler, and the (third) not-quite-masthead halyard being used to hoist the sail.  Add a hank-on a storm jib and away you go.

              Now arguably this doesn't move the center of effort rearwards like a real inner forestay, but it has the significant benefit of not requiring a reinforced pad eye, tie rod through the middle of the v-berth, or running backstays.

              From personal experience I can say it worked quite well on the limited number of times we needed it, which is to say while we were offshore with sustained winds in excess of 35kts.

              Graham

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 23, 2011
                John,
                Thanks for responding. There's several things I like to know about your installion.

                Where did you locate the deck fitting
                Where did you locate the mast fitting
                Did you add running backstays
                Did you add a tie rod below deck
                Did you add additional winches
                Where did you locate any tracks for sheeting
                Did you use some type of quick release at the deck fitting
                And,,,any others advice you might have.

                I had a Cape Dory 30 Cutter before the Nic and always enjoyed the flexibility of the rig. I still have hank on sails, which makes that additional sail even more appealling.

                Thanks again for your input.

                Rick

                --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, john crosby <john57crosby@...> wrote:

                > Yes, I did about 2 years ago - and I'm very pleased I did. What info would you like? regards John, Boreas J, Hull No. 178
                >

                > ________________________________

              • john crosby
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 23, 2011
                Dear Rick,

                I just realised I didn't make clear that mine is a removable inner stay - I just presumed that was what you thinking of adding. With that in mind, to answer your questions:

                - location of the deck fitting: like Graham, I use the aft hole on the stem-head fitting, fitting a high load shackle through it when needed and to which I connect the adjuster;
                - location of the mast fitting: the inner stay is connected about 6in below the top, with the opening (ie sheave box) for the dedicated halyard about 6 inches further below, see attached photo (sorry don't know how to add it to our yahoo group). The inner stay is connected with T terminal backing plate into the mast which, according the professional rigger that did the job, is easier than a nose tang;
                - running backstays: no, I didn't add any. The rigger said they weren't needed as long as the inner stay was attached within a certain distance of the top (which it is);,
                - tie rod below deck: no I didn't add one - again the riger said this wasn't necessary as the deck fitting is so close to the fitting of the normal stay;
                - additional winches: no, I use the normal for the sheets and the winch on the port side of mast (hence, if you intend to fit a dedicated halyard and it's feed is inside the mast, I suggest you should make sure it exits on the port side of the mast);
                tracks for sheeting: I use the normal foresail track, which seems fine for the No.2 jib which is what I use most often in this step up. As you probably know, there are dedicated points on the deck each sidse in which to screw in an upright O ring (don't know how else to describe it), through which to run the sheets for the storm jib;
                quick release at the deck fitting: I use a Wichard babystay/forestay adjuster, which still works great even thought its an older version with a nut adjustment rather than the handle, rachet or wheel adjuster available today. There are other adjuster makes as you are probably aware. I've marked the adjuster so I know how far to tighten it without always having to check, mindful that the backstay can also be adjusted to give more aft mast bend as necessary;
                other info: the inner stay is 7mm; the spinnaker halyard probably could work, but there is always that feeling that it could catch on the forestay, when you desperately do not want it to.

                regards John

                Thanks for responding. There's several things I like to know about your installion.

                Where did you locate the deck fitting
                Where did you locate the mast fitting
                Did you add running backstays
                Did you add a tie rod below deck
                Did you add additional winches
                Where did you locate any tracks for sheeting
                Did you use some type of quick release at the deck fitting
                And,,,any others advice you might have.

                I had a Cape Dory 30 Cutter before the Nic and always enjoyed the flexibility of the rig. I still have hank on sails, which makes that additional sail even more appealling.

                Thanks again for your input.

                Rick

                --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, john crosby <john57crosby@...> wrote:

                > Yes, I did about 2 years ago - and I'm very pleased I did. What info would you like? regards John, Boreas J, Hull No. 178
                >

                > ________________________________

              • MARK HOENKE
                Message 8 of 18 , Jun 23, 2011

                  Our Camper 58 is cutter rigged ketch.  The inner stay is from the upper spreader parallel to the forestay so it lands about 8 feet aft of the stem fitting.  There are running backs to port and starboard winches at the cockpit.  The inner stay is a roller furling ProFurl Clasic 42.  The inner jib is then a 2/3 hoist that fills the space to the mast. Below deck is a SS rod & turnbuckle to the keel to buck up the deck fitting.  The Genoa is unmanageable except to furl.  I am considering adding a solent rig or code zero or both to the aft end of the stem fitting to be operated with a spare jib halyard.  This will let us run a large drifter/reacher or a storm jib.

                • Denece
                  Message 9 of 18 , Jun 24, 2011
                    WE also added an solent stay to Blue Pearl. It attaches to the mast
                    about three feet from top and to deck right foreward of windlass. No
                    running backs, no tie-down. The rigger said we were bulletproof
                    (whatever that means) we have a johnson adjuster that clips on and the
                    stay when not used is lashed to foreward lower hairpin at deck.
                    That said, we are awaiting further news of a possibility of moving her
                    back to the SF area reasonably. Barring that we will have no choice but
                    to list her for sale.

                    Denece
                    Blue Pearl
                  • Gary Noble
                    Message 10 of 18 , Jun 27, 2011
                      Hi Mark
                      The inner forestay conversation is very interesting. On the CN 30 due to its racing genesis is just a stay positioned to allow the the mast to be bent by adjusting the back stay and the shape the somewhat tiny main.On the CN35s with the taller rigs one can see the stay would have other uses but not sure as I have only sailed on a 35 with the regular mast height.
                      Gary S?V Whakarra.

                      Our Camper 58 is cutter rigged ketch.  The inner stay is from the upper spreader parallel to the forestay so it lands about 8 feet aft of the stem fitting.  There are running backs to port and starboard winches at the cockpit.  The inner stay is a roller furling ProFurl Clasic 42.  The inner jib is then a 2/3 hoist that fills the space to the mast. Below deck is a SS rod & turnbuckle to the keel to buck up the deck fitting.  The Genoa is unmanageable except to furl.  I am considering adding a solent rig or code zero or both to the aft end of the stem fitting to be operated with a spare jib halyard.  This will let us run a large drifter/reacher or a storm jib.

                    • Brian Stannard
                      Message 11 of 18 , Jun 28, 2011
                        A babystay is usually fitted in lieu of forward lowers. It is not a stay a sail is set on.

                        --
                        Brian
                        Living aboard in Victoria
                        Message 12 of 18 , Jun 28, 2011
                          Brian thanks for the feedback. Yes I had forgotten that detail. All the best Gary

                          Message 13 of 18 , Jun 28, 2011
                            Gary,
                            We have both upper and lower spreaders. Our storm jib is set on the stay to the upper spreaders as I described. There is also a lower inside stay from the lower spreaders to the deck. No sail here. This is a nice rig with lots of options. Both roller furlers have double tracks but that is sort of pointless without crew to change sails. The other thing about that is the jib weighs 140 kilo so it stays where it is. The only fault I can find is tacking the 135 (or any) genoa is not easy. The genoa is Yankee cut with very high clew and the thing hangs up on the cutter stay every time. In moderate winds I gybe so the wind can carry the clew forward. A solent rig would solve this for a boat that did not need the inside (cutter)) stay.