RE: [campernicholson] Stem Fitting / Bow Roller Modifications

  • Katie and Simon
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2010
      Hi again Graham,

      Interesting that you should raise this. One of the jobs I am planning to do on my return to Gin Rummy is to replace the four glassed-in bolts at the forward end of the stem fitting. Our stem fitting has lifted about 1/4" (8mm) at the very front which I think has occurred since we fitted the electric windlass about 4 years ago. I suspect that the strong pull required to get the anchor up and over the roller and then up tight against the fitting has caused this problem. My plan is to fit longer bolts which will have fender washers and nuts on the outside. I'm planning to recess the washers and nuts into the hull - there is plenty of thickness there - and fill it fair with epoxy filler. I won't even have to repaint it as we have a rubber pad at the top of the stem to protect the hull from anchor scratches - I'll just put on a new rubber pad.

      I've had the stemhead fitting off once before and was surprised that the forward bolts are just glassed in. I would have expected an embedded s/s plate or something like that, but I didn't find anything. Not what I would have expected from C&N. I would advise everyone wth a windlass to have a quick look at this plate and make sure it is not lifting.

      We have a 20kg Rocna on the existing roller (the double one of the Mk V). It fits OK though not as well as the CQR did, but perfectly usable. Please let us know what design you eventually decide on.

      Thanks,

      Simon
      Gin Rummy, CN35-202

      To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
      From: graham.horne@...
      Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:47:00 +0000
      Subject: [campernicholson] Stem Fitting / Bow Roller Modifications

      I lifted the stem fitting / bow roller off my boat while re-rigging. Some of the holes in the central fin are both stretched and have serious hair-line cracks from poorly fitted clevis pins before my time. My Nic 35 is a Mk V so it has the 2 rollers. In the process of looking at the problem I looked at how the whole anchor retrieval process worked and of course that it was designed primarily for the CQR anchor. Fitting a Delta, Rocna or Manson would perhaps mean a rethink of the bow roller arrangement. I also looked at the work done on Fly and was surprised that the 4 bolts in the stem were just glassed in fibreglass was all that held the stem fitting in place and the tree standing (peeling back onto the rear 4 bolts) and looks poorly engineered if the forestay is set forwards (as was mine). Now is the time for me to do this so I was wondering what changes have been made if anything to incorporate one of the newer or more modern anchors by other owners. By the way I have a 20kg (44lb) Delta to go on. Yes I know it is large but if all else fails I am hoping the both the 16kg (35lb) CQR and the Delta with 9.5mm (3/8�) chain all set may do the job.

      If I rebuild this stem fitting in Stainless Steel to make launching and retrieving the big Delta I am considering making provision for a short removable bowsprit for a cruising chute. I makes sense to me to get the chute further forward so I can carry it from further behind and make tacking easier as well.

      I am setting up for distance sailing where everything is unknown. You ideas would be most welcome

      Thanks
      Graham

      Got a phone? Get Hotmail & Messenger for mobile!
    • wtrevarthen
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2010
        GRAHAM, I also had the stem fitting off. THE 4 forward bolts were stripped out so I had to rebuild the whole area. There is (was) a plate imbedded in the glass. It was aluminum and had completly turned to jelly. I tapped two 3/8 ss plates and inbedded them in the glass. It's not really that bad a job.

        Winston
        c/n35 #49