Re: [campernicholson] Cutless Bearing on Nick 38 1974 model

  • naumangl
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2010
      Roger and Ann,
      It would be a great help if you could email me the drawings, Thank you so much for responding to my request.
      My email address is    mailto:naumangl@...
      George Nauman
      From: naumangl@triad. rr.com
      Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 21:06:06 -0400

      Soliciting knowledge
      As we removed the prop shaft on our Camper Nicholson 38 hull 123 built in 1974 we found ourselves with a challenge. A bronze shaft approximately 2 1/2 in dia. is imbedded in the hull. Inside that large tube is threaded is thinner second tube that holds the cutlass bearing. The is no pins we could see after removing the gelcoat from around the outer tube. The last time the bearing may have been removed was 1984 at Gosport. Thanks Graham for your suggestion yesterday.

      Has anyone else encountered this setup. We had quite a crew scratching their heads in the yard today. Some experience with this arrangement would be most helpful.
      George Nauman   North Carolina.

      Live connected. Get Hotmail Messenger for mobile.

    • john dean
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 8, 2010
        Hello On my 1969 Nic 32 I just use a hacksaw blade and split the cutlass bearing to remove it and then buy a identical bearing replacement. Measure carefully for metric or sae sizes. For help call Graphm or Carla Byrnes in Vandemere, good luck john dean

        As we removed the prop shaft on our Camper Nicholson 38 hull 123 built in 1974 we found ourselves with a challenge. A bronze shaft approximately 2 1/2 in dia. is imbedded in the hull. Inside that large tube is threaded is thinner second tube that holds the cutlass bearing. The is no pins we could see after removing the gelcoat from around the outer tube. The last time the bearing may have been removed was 1984 at Gosport. Thanks Graham for your suggestion yesterday.

        Has anyone else encountered this setup. We had quite a crew scratching their heads in the yard today. Some experience with this arrangement would be most helpful.
        George Nauman   North Carolina.

      • rainforest_mj
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 15, 2010
          Hi Roger - hope you were able to get this sorted.

          We're very interested in the final resolution, as we need to replace our prop and shaft on Hull #126 later this year. Can you please post anything that might help?

          Cheers - Marilyn
          www.svRainshadow.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 15, 2010
            Very sorry - I meant 'Hi George" !!!

            --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "rainforest_mj" <marilynj@...> wrote:

            > Hi Roger - hope you were able to get this sorted.

            <snip>