Chainplate nut size on Nic 38

  • rainforest_mj
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3 2:58 PM
      Just joined this very useful group. Since Nov 09, we're the new owners of Rainshadow, 1974 Nic 38 ketch, hull #126. She's moored near Seattle.

      Our current dilemna is about the threading on the chainplate rods. For the first time in the boat's life, we are removing chainplates to inspect them for crevice corrosion. So far, not bad, though there are some pits we are grinding out, as we report on our blog on this page: http://svrainshadow.com/?p=184

      We would like to replace the nuts when we rebed the chain plates, but we cannot find an American thread that works. From this group, I am learning it must be a British Standard thread. I'm sure I can purchase some over the web from the UK, but I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what size they are. We are guessing they are 3/8" BSF threads.

      Is anyone in the UK willing to pop down to the local DYI to get some nuts in the 3/8" or 10M range and let us know what the correct size and thread is? Or, has anyone purchased them and know the correct size for the Nic 38?

      Thanks -
      Marilyn and Van
      Rainshadow, 1974 Nic 38 ketch, hull #126
      www.svRainshadow.com
    • naumangl
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3 6:41 PM
        Marilyn and Van,
        My wife and I own a Camper Nicholson 38 ketch. We live in North Carolina. I believe Raga is hull 123. It was built in 1973 or 1974. Over the past year I have removed all the chainplates on all the standing rigging. We were removing the teak deck. The upper main mast chainplates are secured with 1/2 inch BSF nuts under one inch rod while the lower are secured by 5/8 BSF nuts uner the same SS rod. The mission mast chainplates were all 5/8 BSF. I was able to find replacement nuts in England for the 5/8 at a reasonable price. The 1/2 came from someone in the US and I paid through the nose for them. There were two nuts on each rod. Some of the nuts were visibly cracked against the rods they pressed against. If I can find the correct website in the US I will send it to you. I believe it was in upstate New York. I had a good friend from England that enjoys solving mysteries he figured out the thread size. BSF was just ending in the early 70s. So CN shop must have been turning the rods as usual when out boats were being built. I'm 200 miles from my boat when I return later this month I will confirm the nut sizes for sure. It will be after March 16th before I return to New Bern.
        George Nauman 336-693-5979

        Here are two website that may be of help    http://ccsfasteners.co.uk/whitworth-stainless-steel-c-14.html
                                                                           http://www.britishfasteners.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BTF&Category_Code=54
[...]

        www.svRainshadow. com

      • rainforest_mj
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2010
          To tie off this question, I can say that I bought 1/2" BSF and 3/8" 304 (Type 2) full hex nuts from Stig's Fasteners in the UK:
          http://www.a2stainless.co.uk

          They were 1 GBP + VAT each for the 1/2", and 50p + VAT (if applicable) for the 3/8". It took them about a week to decide to ship the order, but it did arrive at my US address safe and sound a week after that. And yes, the nuts fit nicely on the chainplate threads, so those are definitely BSF and not BSW threads.

          I found that Archerdale (http://www.archerdale.com/index.php) had 1/2" nuts in stock at a very reasonable price of 60p each, but they would have to fabricate the 3/8" nuts for me, with minimum quantity of 100. The sales contact there was very responsive and pleasant - I wish he had both sizes as I would like to have given him my business.

          I could not find any 316 SS nuts anywhere, so I settled for then 304.

          Cheers -
          Marilyn
          www.svRainshadow.com
        • naumangl
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2010
            Marilyn,
            Glad to hear that you have those special nuts in your hand. Here is the my suppliers email from England that I used.
            mailto:surpluspeters@...    the name on the package is Mike Peters. Address is:
            Rosegarth, Mill Lane
            Counton, Newark
            Nolts NG23 6AJ
            England

            Thanks for the gasket information. It would be nice to leave the boat without a plastic cover over my V birth hatch. I thought I read that you also had a main cabin hatch as well. I do not. Raga is hull 123
            George

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2, 2010
              Has anyone in the US tried The Nutty Company www.nutty.com/ ?