Lucas Instruments

  • Thomas J. Stanton
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 27, 1999
      I have spent almost two months looking for a Lucas oil pressure sender
      without any luck, so I have decided to replace the whole works with VDO
      instuments. Does anyone have any need for replacements at no cost..
      All are working. The Tach is a little corroded, all the others in good
      shape.
      It seems a shame to toss them, if anyone on the list can use them.

      Tom Stanton
      s/v Discovery 40ac
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 29, 1999
        When my pressure sender went, I replaced it with a mechanical. Did you buy
        the Pathfinder instrument setup?
        > I have spent almost two months looking for a Lucas oil pressure sender
        > without any luck, so I have decided to replace the whole works with VDO
        > instuments. Does anyone have any need for replacements at no cost..
        > All are working. The Tach is a little corroded, all the others in good
        > shape.
        > It seems a shame to toss them, if anyone on the list can use them.
        >
        > Tom Stanton
        > s/v Discovery 40ac

        > Looking for a new hobby? Want to make a new friend?
        > http://www.onelist.com
        > Come join one of 175,000 e-mail communities at ONElist!

      • Thomas J. Stanton
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 30, 1999
          The VW mechanic recommended VDO instruments. They are German made and were
          designed to work on VW's. They are the standard instruments on the Mercedes,
          BMWs etc.

          VDO has a great guy in Annapolis who is helping with the installation. I am
          keeping the Petter panel and swaping out the Lucas instruments for the VDO ones
          which match in size. The temp, volts and Tach are set up. The Petter engine
          was designed for an inductive Tach that basically counts the teeth in the fly
          wheel and is very accurate. After running a thread tap in the unused hole "to
          clean it up" the VDO guy just screwed in a standard VDO sender. The Lucas
          instruments used a water temp sender built into a return pipe, and never used
          what is a VDO temp sender built into the engine at the factory. The guy just
          hooked up their unit to that sender. The oil pressure is not set up yet. The
          factory sent an 80 psi gage and sender. The engine needs a 150 psi gage and
          they are doing a swap. So at this point I do not have an operating oil
          pressure gage.

          Tom Stanton
          sv Discovery C&N 40ac

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 30, 1999
            Thomas,

            If you have parts numbers please supply. I am especially interested in the
            inductive tach. Mine is off the alternator and not that accurate. What is
            the cost of all this VDO stuff?

            Sponsor ----------------------------

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 10, 1999
              Tom,

              I was thinking of converting to the mechanical tach but could not find the
              port for the sensor on the bell housing. I called Pathfinder and they said
              it could not be done. Where is the damn thing?

              Sponsor ----------------------------

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 11, 1999
                Dennis:
                The guy is wrong. My new VDO unit works great. If you get the VDO, you
                need to watch that there are two sizes for the display. The top of the line
                unit is too large to fit. The next down has both the large unit and a smaller
                unit, which swaps in and is a perfect match to the Lucas unit. There may be
                several sizes for the sending unit also, but the standard one fit. If you
                need, I will try to find out the size. Get the short sender. It does not
                protrude as far from the engine. The unit is screwed down unitl it hits the fly
                wheel teeth and then is backed off about two turns, just enough to allow the fly
                wheel to turn freely, too much and it looses the signal.

                As you look at the engine, if yours is set up similar to mine, you should
                see the bell housing with Petter written in script at the center. As the
                housing curves and turns to meet the engine, it creates an top ledge much like
                the face of a tire tread. Along the face of the tire tread there are two
                openings. One is about the size of two dimes touching., that is at about 11
                o'clock, and is the inspection hole to view the timing teeth. One of which is
                marked, but we had to repaint it when the VW guy replaced the timing belt. At
                about 10 o'clock there is a larger opening, about the size of a quarter. This
                opening is perfectly round and has tight threads. This is the induction port
                for the tach. If you have a fax, I could fax you the pages from the manuals on
                Monday. Both the Petter and the Piranah manual show the port. I do not
                believe that the Pathfinder engine has the same bell housing as the Petter
                engines. They may have the original VW housing.

                My best,

                Tom Stanton
                s/v Discovery C&N 40ac