Re: [campernicholson] Can you help catch some thieves stealing from moored boats?

  • John R Tapscott
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009
      mike guiney wrote:

      > The boom was probably sold for scrap aluminum.. It is happening
      > everywhere with aluminum and copper. Check the scrap buyers in your area
      >
      > *Mike Guiney*
      > *Revolucion 2475*
      > *La Paz, BCS*
      > *Mexico CP. 23000
      > *
      > *(52) 612-125-7588*
      >

      > --- On *Mon, 12/7/09, jrtapscott@...
      > /<jrtapscott@...>/* wrote:
      >

      > From: jrtapscott@... <jrtapscott@...>
      > Subject: [campernicholson] Can you help catch some thieves
      > stealing from moored boats?
      > To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: Monday, December 7, 2009, 9:40 AM
      >

      > Dear All,
      >
      > I am wanting to enlist help from all of you in the hope that some
      > information might come to light from a Nic 35 owner which will
      > enable the police to catch and put an end to some thieves stealing
      > from moored boats. I will explain.
      >
      > Last week when I went to our Nic 35 -Zuleika Vair - which is kept
      > during most of the year on a swinging mooring in Portsmouth
      > Harbour I was horrified to find that the boom, sail cover and lazy
      > jacks, kicker and wind generator had been removed. The thieves had
      > cut the bottom off the mainsail presumably to make the removal of
      > the boom easier.
      >
      > Our Nic 35 was built in 1974 and therefore she is one of the early
      > ones with Procter spars which were made from gold coloured
      > anodised aluminium. As these gold colourd spars are no longer used
      > by modern boats it will only be of use to the owner of a 30 to 40
      > year old boat. However it is my belief that there cannot have been
      > many types of boat built in that period which would have taken a
      > boom of the size of the Nic 35 one so that it would appear quite
      > possible that my boom may be offered for sale to another Nic 35
      > owner. Could I therefore please ask you all to look out for any
      > mention of a Procter boom being available for a Nic 35 where the
      > circumstances appear at all suspicious.
      >
      > Many thanks,
      >
      > John Tapscott
      >
      > Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. I am interested in your
      > suggestion but slightly surprised if it is correct that it could be
      > worth the effort of taking the boom off for what it would be worth as
      > scrap. I feel the thieves must have used a reasonably large boat and
      > had a struggle to remove the boom as you will no doubt know it is
      > both long and heavy but I do appreciate that the weight would be the
      > attraction as scrap.

      Regards,
      John

    • John R Tapscott
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009
        M. Davidson wrote:

        > Dear John,
        >
        > I most certainly be on the lookout. However, it was stolen and sold
        > for scrap metal
        > and it would be wonderful to put the thief in jail with the rest of
        > his likes.
        > I know how you feel my boat was stripped some years ago.
        > Good Luck.
        > Regards
        > MMDl

        > To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
        > From: jrtapscott@...
        > Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 17:40:06 +0000
        > Subject: [campernicholson] Can you help catch some thieves stealing
        > from moored boats?
        >

        > Dear All,
        >
        > I am wanting to enlist help from all of you in the hope that some
        > information might come to light from a Nic 35 owner which will enable
        > the police to catch and put an end to some thieves stealing from
        > moored boats. I will explain.
        >
        > Last week when I went to our Nic 35 -Zuleika Vair - which is kept
        > during most of the year on a swinging mooring in Portsmouth Harbour I
        > was horrified to find that the boom, sail cover and lazy jacks, kicker
        > and wind generator had been removed. The thieves had cut the bottom
        > off the mainsail presumably to make the removal of the boom easier.
        >
        > Our Nic 35 was built in 1974 and therefore she is one of the early
        > ones with Procter spars which were made from gold coloured anodised
        > aluminium. As these gold colourd spars are no longer used by modern
        > boats it will only be of use to the owner of a 30 to 40 year old boat.
        > However it is my belief that there cannot have been many types of boat
        > built in that period which would have taken a boom of the size of the
        > Nic 35 one so that it would appear quite possible that my boom may be
        > offered for sale to another Nic 35 owner. Could I therefore please ask
        > you all to look out for any mention of a Procter boom being available
        > for a Nic 35 where the circumstances appear at all suspicious.
        >
        > Many thanks,
        >
        > John Tapscott

        Thanks for your reply. It appears I shall have to accept this is a real
        possibility and of course this will make the chance of catching the
        thieves much less likely.
        Regards
        John Tapscott

      • jose pacheco zuloaga
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 8, 2009
          My bronze rudder base was also stolen and sold for scrap in a marina down in Venezuela, but in Portsmouth that kind of stuff  should'nt happen. If any one knows where can I find one please let me know
          Regards
          Jose
          Tethis
          35/58

          To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
          From: jrtapscott@...
          Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 22:04:50 +0000
          Subject: Re: [campernicholson] Can you help catch some thieves stealing from moored boats?

          mike guiney wrote:

          > The boom was probably sold for scrap aluminum.. It is happening
          > everywhere with aluminum and copper. Check the scrap buyers in your area
          >
          > *Mike Guiney*
          > *Revolucion 2475*
          > *La Paz, BCS*
          > *Mexico CP. 23000
          > *
          > *(52) 612-125-7588*
          >

          > --- On *Mon, 12/7/09, jrtapscott@btintern et.com
          > /<jrtapscott@btintern et.com>/* wrote:
          >

          > From: jrtapscott@btintern et.com <jrtapscott@btintern et.com>
          > Subject: [campernicholson] Can you help catch some thieves
          > stealing from moored boats?
          > To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com
          > Date: Monday, December 7, 2009, 9:40 AM
          >

          > Dear All,
          >
          > I am wanting to enlist help from all of you in the hope that some
          > information might come to light from a Nic 35 owner which will
          > enable the police to catch and put an end to some thieves stealing
          > from moored boats. I will explain.
          >
          > Last week when I went to our Nic 35 -Zuleika Vair - which is kept
          > during most of the year on a swinging mooring in Portsmouth
          > Harbour I was horrified to find that the boom, sail cover and lazy
          > jacks, kicker and wind generator had been removed. The thieves had
          > cut the bottom off the mainsail presumably to make the removal of
          > the boom easier.
          >
          > Our Nic 35 was built in 1974 and therefore she is one of the early
          > ones with Procter spars which were made from gold coloured
          > anodised aluminium. As these gold colourd spars are no longer used
          > by modern boats it will only be of use to the owner of a 30 to 40
          > year old boat. However it is my belief that there cannot have been
          > many types of boat built in that period which would have taken a
          > boom of the size of the Nic 35 one so that it would appear quite
          > possible that my boom may be offered for sale to another Nic 35
          > owner. Could I therefore please ask you all to look out for any
          > mention of a Procter boom being available for a Nic 35 where the
          > circumstances appear at all suspicious.
          >
          > Many thanks,
          >
          > John Tapscott
          >
          > Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. I am interested in your
          > suggestion but slightly surprised if it is correct that it could be
          > worth the effort of taking the boom off for what it would be worth as
          > scrap. I feel the thieves must have used a reasonably large boat and
          > had a struggle to remove the boom as you will no doubt know it is
          > both long and heavy but I do appreciate that the weight would be the
          > attraction as scrap.

          Regards,
          John

        • John R Tapscott
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 8, 2009
            jose pacheco zuloaga wrote:

> [...]
            > >
            > > Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. I am interested in your
            > > suggestion but slightly surprised if it is correct that it could be
            > > worth the effort of taking the boom off for what it would be worth as
            > > scrap. I feel the thieves must have used a reasonably large boat and
            > > had a struggle to remove the boom as you will no doubt know it is
            > > both long and heavy but I do appreciate that the weight would be the
            > > attraction as scrap.
            > >
            > Regards,
            > John
            > >
            > >I am very sorry to hear this and can commiserate with you. However I
            > believe you are in a worse position than I because I can buy a boom
            > which will fit even if it will not match the mast but I believe you
            > will have to have a special fitting made. Good luck with this and I
            > am sorry I cannot help by offerring a source for obtaining a fitting
            Regards

            John Tapscott