Re: [campernicholson] Can you help catch some thieves stealing from moored boats?

  • mike guiney
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009
      The boom was probably sold for scrap aluminum.. It is happening everywhere with aluminum and copper. Check the scrap buyers in your area

      Mike Guiney
      Revolucion 2475
      La Paz, BCS
      Mexico CP. 23000
      (52) 612-125-7588

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009
        mike guiney wrote:

        > The boom was probably sold for scrap aluminum.. It is happening
        > everywhere with aluminum and copper. Check the scrap buyers in your area
        >
        > *Mike Guiney*
        > *Revolucion 2475*
        > *La Paz, BCS*
        > *Mexico CP. 23000
        > *
        > *(52) 612-125-7588*
        >

        > --- On *Mon, 12/7/09, jrtapscott@...
        > /<jrtapscott@...>/* wrote:
        >

        > From: jrtapscott@... <jrtapscott@...>
        > Subject: [campernicholson] Can you help catch some thieves
        > stealing from moored boats?
        > To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
        > Date: Monday, December 7, 2009, 9:40 AM
        >

        > Dear All,
        >
        > I am wanting to enlist help from all of you in the hope that some
        > information might come to light from a Nic 35 owner which will
        > enable the police to catch and put an end to some thieves stealing
        > from moored boats. I will explain.
        >
        > Last week when I went to our Nic 35 -Zuleika Vair - which is kept
        > during most of the year on a swinging mooring in Portsmouth
        > Harbour I was horrified to find that the boom, sail cover and lazy
        > jacks, kicker and wind generator had been removed. The thieves had
        > cut the bottom off the mainsail presumably to make the removal of
        > the boom easier.
        >
        > Our Nic 35 was built in 1974 and therefore she is one of the early
        > ones with Procter spars which were made from gold coloured
        > anodised aluminium. As these gold colourd spars are no longer used
        > by modern boats it will only be of use to the owner of a 30 to 40
        > year old boat. However it is my belief that there cannot have been
        > many types of boat built in that period which would have taken a
        > boom of the size of the Nic 35 one so that it would appear quite
        > possible that my boom may be offered for sale to another Nic 35
        > owner. Could I therefore please ask you all to look out for any
        > mention of a Procter boom being available for a Nic 35 where the
        > circumstances appear at all suspicious.
        >
        > Many thanks,
        >
        > John Tapscott
        >
        > Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. I am interested in your
        > suggestion but slightly surprised if it is correct that it could be
        > worth the effort of taking the boom off for what it would be worth as
        > scrap. I feel the thieves must have used a reasonably large boat and
        > had a struggle to remove the boom as you will no doubt know it is
        > both long and heavy but I do appreciate that the weight would be the
        > attraction as scrap.

        Regards,
        John

      • John R Tapscott
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009
          M. Davidson wrote:

          > Dear John,
          >
          > I most certainly be on the lookout. However, it was stolen and sold
          > for scrap metal
          > and it would be wonderful to put the thief in jail with the rest of
          > his likes.
          > I know how you feel my boat was stripped some years ago.
          > Good Luck.
          > Regards
          > MMDl

          > To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
          > From: jrtapscott@...
          > Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 17:40:06 +0000
          > Subject: [campernicholson] Can you help catch some thieves stealing
          > from moored boats?
          >

          > Dear All,
          >
          > I am wanting to enlist help from all of you in the hope that some
          > information might come to light from a Nic 35 owner which will enable
          > the police to catch and put an end to some thieves stealing from
          > moored boats. I will explain.
          >
          > Last week when I went to our Nic 35 -Zuleika Vair - which is kept
          > during most of the year on a swinging mooring in Portsmouth Harbour I
          > was horrified to find that the boom, sail cover and lazy jacks, kicker
          > and wind generator had been removed. The thieves had cut the bottom
          > off the mainsail presumably to make the removal of the boom easier.
          >
          > Our Nic 35 was built in 1974 and therefore she is one of the early
          > ones with Procter spars which were made from gold coloured anodised
          > aluminium. As these gold colourd spars are no longer used by modern
          > boats it will only be of use to the owner of a 30 to 40 year old boat.
          > However it is my belief that there cannot have been many types of boat
          > built in that period which would have taken a boom of the size of the
          > Nic 35 one so that it would appear quite possible that my boom may be
          > offered for sale to another Nic 35 owner. Could I therefore please ask
          > you all to look out for any mention of a Procter boom being available
          > for a Nic 35 where the circumstances appear at all suspicious.
          >
          > Many thanks,
          >
          > John Tapscott

          Thanks for your reply. It appears I shall have to accept this is a real
          possibility and of course this will make the chance of catching the
          thieves much less likely.
          Regards
          John Tapscott

        • jose pacheco zuloaga
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 8, 2009
            My bronze rudder base was also stolen and sold for scrap in a marina down in Venezuela, but in Portsmouth that kind of stuff  should'nt happen. If any one knows where can I find one please let me know
            Regards
            Jose
            Tethis
            35/58

            To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
            From: jrtapscott@...
            Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 22:04:50 +0000

            mike guiney wrote:

            > The boom was probably sold for scrap aluminum.. It is happening
            > everywhere with aluminum and copper. Check the scrap buyers in your area
            >
            > *Mike Guiney*
            > *Revolucion 2475*
            > *La Paz, BCS*
            > *Mexico CP. 23000
            > *
            > *(52) 612-125-7588*
            >

            > --- On *Mon, 12/7/09, jrtapscott@btintern et.com
            > /<jrtapscott@btintern et.com>/* wrote:
            >

            > From: jrtapscott@btintern et.com <jrtapscott@btintern et.com>
            > Subject: [campernicholson] Can you help catch some thieves
            > stealing from moored boats?
            > To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com
            > Date: Monday, December 7, 2009, 9:40 AM
            >

            > Dear All,
            >
            > I am wanting to enlist help from all of you in the hope that some
            > information might come to light from a Nic 35 owner which will
            > enable the police to catch and put an end to some thieves stealing
            > from moored boats. I will explain.
            >
            > Last week when I went to our Nic 35 -Zuleika Vair - which is kept
            > during most of the year on a swinging mooring in Portsmouth
            > Harbour I was horrified to find that the boom, sail cover and lazy
            > jacks, kicker and wind generator had been removed. The thieves had
            > cut the bottom off the mainsail presumably to make the removal of
            > the boom easier.
            >
            > Our Nic 35 was built in 1974 and therefore she is one of the early
            > ones with Procter spars which were made from gold coloured
            > anodised aluminium. As these gold colourd spars are no longer used
            > by modern boats it will only be of use to the owner of a 30 to 40
            > year old boat. However it is my belief that there cannot have been
            > many types of boat built in that period which would have taken a
            > boom of the size of the Nic 35 one so that it would appear quite
            > possible that my boom may be offered for sale to another Nic 35
            > owner. Could I therefore please ask you all to look out for any
            > mention of a Procter boom being available for a Nic 35 where the
            > circumstances appear at all suspicious.
            >
            > Many thanks,
            >
            > John Tapscott
            >
            > Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. I am interested in your
            > suggestion but slightly surprised if it is correct that it could be
            > worth the effort of taking the boom off for what it would be worth as
            > scrap. I feel the thieves must have used a reasonably large boat and
            > had a struggle to remove the boom as you will no doubt know it is
            > both long and heavy but I do appreciate that the weight would be the
            > attraction as scrap.

            Regards,
            John

          • John R Tapscott
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 8, 2009
              jose pacheco zuloaga wrote:

> [...]
              > >
              > > Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. I am interested in your
              > > suggestion but slightly surprised if it is correct that it could be
              > > worth the effort of taking the boom off for what it would be worth as
              > > scrap. I feel the thieves must have used a reasonably large boat and
              > > had a struggle to remove the boom as you will no doubt know it is
              > > both long and heavy but I do appreciate that the weight would be the
              > > attraction as scrap.
              > >
              > Regards,
              > John
              > >
              > >I am very sorry to hear this and can commiserate with you. However I
              > believe you are in a worse position than I because I can buy a boom
              > which will fit even if it will not match the mast but I believe you
              > will have to have a special fitting made. Good luck with this and I
              > am sorry I cannot help by offerring a source for obtaining a fitting
              Regards

              John Tapscott