umatic Fuel Guage

  • alby793
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2009
      Greetings all,

      I have a 39 foot cc ketch. When I bought it it came with a pneumatic style fuel gauge. It also came minus a manual or any instructions on exactly how it works. I want to say that it is a "UNIRX" or something close to that and despite some serious online looking, I have been unable to find out anything about it. It doesn't seem to read accurately at all. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter, like how one is supposed to work this thing. Since it is asold as the boat (1977), it is possible that there is a leak somewhere along the tubing or perhaps the gauge is just shot.Anyone out there have any experience with a similar "original fuel gauge"?

      I will be emptying the tank for a thorough cleaning over the winter and I am thinking baout installing an electrcal gauge to set up at the engine panel in the cockpit. HAs anyone accomplished such a task well enough so as to share?

      Thanks a bunch and hve a warm winter.

      God Bless,
      Rick
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 8, 2009
        By far the most common pneumatic tank gauge is the "Tank Tender" by Hart
        Systems (http://www.thetanktender.com/). The principles of operation
        should be similar enough to what you have though; select the tank to
        measure, pump a few strokes on the hand pump to expel any liquid from
        the dip tube, then read the "liquid level" from the residual pressure in
        the system.

        The two most common problems are:
        - blocked dip tube causing a reading much higher than expected
        - leak in dip tube causing no reading

        The TankTender website has some useful reading on general principles etc.
        Graham