CN 30

  • noble.gary@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 29 9:47 AM
      Like to hear from owners about interior modifications and where the CN30s are located as there is 63 on the roster. Gary
    • solon_mhor
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 11, 2009
        --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "noble.gary@..." <noble.gary@...> wrote:

        > Like to hear from owners about interior modifications and where the CN30s are located as there is 63 on the roster. Gary

        I've owned Solon Mhor (CN30, hull #23) for abt 5 years. I haven't moved bulkheads but have made a number of improvements to aid liveabilty: replaced portlites with tinted lexan; replaced fixed water tank with flexible/collapsible water tank; replaced water lines and pump faucets; removed vinyl and painted all overhead panels; installed two 9x9" (approx measure)hatches in cabin roof to increase ventilation; replaced wiring; replaced 3 switch panel with two 6-switch panels; installed DSC radio with ram mike; installed Magellan chart plotter on swing arm (visable from tiller). Two projects are near completion--replace Canpa forward hatch over v-berth with Bomar 1000 ocean hatch; and install AC electrical system for shore power. Solon Mhor is in Solomons, MD on the Patuxtent River a couple of miles from the Chesapeake Bay.
        Charles (Chip) Yost
      • john dean
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 11, 2009
          Hello Charles, good hearing from you. I have had Jolie much longer but removing the vinal headliner was a great move, now I can track all the deck leaks and epoxy bush and redo the fasteners to eliminate the leaks. I kept Jolie for 7 years in Deltaville and now I am based in Indianton, Fl

          Bye, John

          > Like to hear from owners about interior modifications and where the CN30s are located as there is 63 on the roster. Gary

          I've owned Solon Mhor (CN30, hull #23) for abt 5 years. I haven't moved bulkheads but have made a number of improvements to aid liveabilty: replaced portlites with tinted lexan; replaced fixed water tank with flexible/collapsibl e water tank; replaced water lines and pump faucets; removed vinyl and painted all overhead panels; installed two 9x9" (approx measure)hatches in cabin roof to increase ventilation; replaced wiring; replaced 3 switch panel with two 6-switch panels; installed DSC radio with ram mike; installed Magellan chart plotter on swing arm (visable from tiller). Two projects are near completion-- replace Canpa forward hatch over v-berth with Bomar 1000 ocean hatch; and install AC electrical system for shore power. Solon Mhor is in Solomons, MD on the Patuxtent River a couple of miles from the Chesapeake Bay.
          Charles (Chip) Yost

        • Gary Noble
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 15, 2009
            Good to hear from you, we were just in North Herrington Harbour outside of Deale this June. Friends have a 1983 Contest 31ht "Kiply" at this location. We assisted in their refit of the boat and did some sightseeing to Annapolis and Virginia Beach. We hopefully will be back in two years. Interested in your modifications. Did you get the right thickness of lexan when the port lights were replaced. We replaced the portlights but the lexan was 1mm thinner and resulted in some leaks. Was the new hatch an easy fit? The addition of two hatches sounds interesting. Would like to know more about their location. Is the flexible water bladder contained by the walls of the fiberglass tank.
            As noted our boat is all original including the original pepper red upholstery  but portlight lexan has been replaced twice.  We need to replace the head bowl and the fiberglass watertank. The interior teak has been stripped and refinished....lots of hand rubbing. The vinyl liner is like new. Will forward pictures in the near future if interested. Thanks for  responding Gary Noble

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 5, 2009

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 7, 2009
                Replacing the portlites plexiglas with lexan was not a problem as a local auto glass dealer had some on hand at a reasonable price. I also used a 3M product, "strip caulk", to seal the lexan into the metal frames. Haven't done the forward hatch (other than measure it for size) because no time and have to undo some of work performed last year; more on that later. Flexible water tank went into the existing hole, except cut out the forward edge of the rigid water tank to fit the flextank and glassed pvc tubing on the cut edges underneath the flextank so it wouldn't be cut. Installed one vetus hatch abt 20" aft of the bulkhead for the head on the starboard side and the other vetus hatch abt 15-20" forward of the dodger on the port side. so the starboard one ends up over the bench seat and the portside one ends up nearly over the galley stove (a single burner butane cooksurface).

                I now have another job that anyone reading this can appreciate: this boat (with Proctor spars) has main roller reefing with the boom on a spindle crank. I installed lazy jacks and its set up for jiffy reefing so I don't need the roller reefing and could go with a fixed fitting riveted onto the mast. this past weekend, both the aluminum casting at the end of the boom and the gooseneck fitting broke. has anyone replaced the gooseneck fitting? if so, what manufacturer was used? thanks. to head off the anticipated question, I've emailed Selden Mast in Charleston but no response.

                Thanks,
                Charles Yost
                Solon Mhor (CN30, #23)

> [...]
              • kaikouravoyager
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 25, 2010
                  Hello group members.
                  I am seriously consider the purchase of 1975 CN 30. Can you direct me to some posts and data sheet on this model. Thanks in advance.
                  Tom
                • Gary Noble
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 27, 2010
                    Hi Tom, the CN 30 is a great yacht. Easily handled by one or two people. Really close winded when going to weather. We have had our 1974 model hull 49 "Whakarra"since new and she still looks like new. For light wind sailing a 160% genoa works well and this was a suggestion by North Sails. All the best G & S Noble, west coast of Canada

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 28, 2010
                      Tom,

                      I agree with the comments below. I've owned Solon Mhor (1973, #23) since Nov 2004 and found it a great forgiving sailer. it is very responsive to tiller will just about turn in its own length. best points of sail are close-hauled to close reach, although I admit I haven't used the asymmetrical for downwind yet. replaced both main and #1 genoa (believed to be close in age to the boat) in the last 2 yrs and roller furler (same), which improved performance.
                      with or without autotiller assist it's easily single handed (it does get busy without the autotiller or second hand); would get a little crowded with more than 4. We mostly do day trips and weekends shortcruising and find storage can be a nuisance. oh the other hand, the boat reportedly made 3 trips across the north atlantic, one during the winter of 1985-86, according to a plaque in the main cabin. Re data points--ASA has some comparison of CN models from a PHRF viewpoint but I've seen no polar diagrams or descriptons of CN models other than the website Kings Yacht Agency.
                      Best of luck
                      Chip, Solon Mhor

                      --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Gary Noble <noble.gary@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Tom, the CN 30 is a great yacht. Easily handled by one or two people. Really close winded when going to weather. We have had our 1974 model hull 49 "Whakarra"since new and she still looks like new. For light wind sailing a 160% genoa works well and this was a suggestion by North Sails. All the best G & S Noble, west coast of Canada

                    • kaikouravoyager
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 28, 2010
                        Thanks for words of positive nature.
                        Do you know the PHRF rating?

                        I hope to do some offshore sailing with just the wife and I and the CN 30 appears to be really well built and ocean worthy even though the yacht is a little on the small size.

                        Tom

                        --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "solon_mhor" <solon_mhor@...> wrote:

                        > Tom,
                        >
                        > I agree with the comments below. I've owned Solon Mhor (1973, #23) since Nov 2004 and found it a great forgiving sailer. it is very responsive to tiller will just about turn in its own length. best points of sail are close-hauled to close reach, although I admit I haven't used the asymmetrical for downwind yet. replaced both main and #1 genoa (believed to be close in age to the boat) in the last 2 yrs and roller furler (same), which improved performance.
                        > with or without autotiller assist it's easily single handed (it does get busy without the autotiller or second hand); would get a little crowded with more than 4. We mostly do day trips and weekends shortcruising and find storage can be a nuisance. oh the other hand, the boat reportedly made 3 trips across the north atlantic, one during the winter of 1985-86, according to a plaque in the main cabin. Re data points--ASA has some comparison of CN models from a PHRF viewpoint but I've seen no polar diagrams or descriptons of CN models other than the website Kings Yacht Agency.
                        > Best of luck
                        > Chip, Solon Mhor
                        >
                        > --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Gary Noble <noble.gary@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi Tom, the CN 30 is a great yacht. Easily handled by one or two people. Really close winded when going to weather. We have had our 1974 model hull 49 "Whakarra"since new and she still looks like new. For light wind sailing a 160% genoa works well and this was a suggestion by North Sails. All the best G & S Noble, west coast of Canada

                      • solon_mhor
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 29, 2010
                          Tom,

                          the reference should have been to U.S.Sailing i/o ASA. here is a table that compares the CN30 against three others:

                          Solon Mhor (N30) N303 N31 N30 (1/2 ton)
                          P 30.4 32.3 34.7 30.4
                          I 36.2 38.5 40 36.2
                          J 12 11.8 12.8 12
                          E 10 10 13.5 10
                          Disp 7280 7840 12992 7170
                          LOA 29 30'3" 30'7" 30
                          WL 25'5" 24'2" 24'2" 24'9"
                          Sail Area 453 492 624 514
                          D/L 211 195 411 ?
                          PHRF 159 195 168

                          As our race coordinator said, "these PHRF's are based on boats with new sails and a racing bottom with a folding prop and no roller head sail. So a 168 is most likely a low rating. I feel a 175 is the correct number." this from a fellow who has raced twice weekly for the last 20 years in Annapolis.

                          As it turned out, I didn't race, but crewed on another boat. high winds and waves and an unfortunately timed accidental jibe resulted in a broken gooseneck fitting. Well, I don't like boom roller furling anyway.
                          Hope this helps. All the best,
                          Chip

                          --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "kaikouravoyager" <kaikouravoyager@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks for words of positive nature.
                          > Do you know the PHRF rating?
                          >
                          > I hope to do some offshore sailing with just the wife and I and the CN 30 appears to be really well built and ocean worthy even though the yacht is a little on the small size.
                          >
                          > Tom
                          >
                          > --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "solon_mhor" <solon_mhor@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Tom,
                          > >
                          > > I agree with the comments below. I've owned Solon Mhor (1973, #23) since Nov 2004 and found it a great forgiving sailer. it is very responsive to tiller will just about turn in its own length. best points of sail are close-hauled to close reach, although I admit I haven't used the asymmetrical for downwind yet. replaced both main and #1 genoa (believed to be close in age to the boat) in the last 2 yrs and roller furler (same), which improved performance.
                          > > with or without autotiller assist it's easily single handed (it does get busy without the autotiller or second hand); would get a little crowded with more than 4. We mostly do day trips and weekends shortcruising and find storage can be a nuisance. oh the other hand, the boat reportedly made 3 trips across the north atlantic, one during the winter of 1985-86, according to a plaque in the main cabin. Re data points--ASA has some comparison of CN models from a PHRF viewpoint but I've seen no polar diagrams or descriptons of CN models other than the website Kings Yacht Agency.
                          > > Best of luck
                          > > Chip, Solon Mhor
                          > >
                          > > --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Gary Noble <noble.gary@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Hi Tom, the CN 30 is a great yacht. Easily handled by one or two people. Really close winded when going to weather. We have had our 1974 model hull 49 "Whakarra"since new and she still looks like new. For light wind sailing a 160% genoa works well and this was a suggestion by North Sails. All the best G & S Noble, west coast of Canada

                        • kaikouravoyager
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 29, 2010
                            Great. Pretty fast for an old english boat...I assume the 195 phrf should have read 175?
                            Tom

                            --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "solon_mhor" <solon_mhor@...> wrote:

                            > Tom,
                            >
                            > the reference should have been to U.S.Sailing i/o ASA. here is a table that compares the CN30 against three others:
                            >
                            > Solon Mhor (N30) N303 N31 N30 (1/2 ton)
                            > P 30.4 32.3 34.7 30.4
                            > I 36.2 38.5 40 36.2
                            > J 12 11.8 12.8 12
                            > E 10 10 13.5 10
                            > Disp 7280 7840 12992 7170
                            > LOA 29 30'3" 30'7" 30
                            > WL 25'5" 24'2" 24'2" 24'9"
                            > Sail Area 453 492 624 514
                            > D/L 211 195 411 ?
                            > PHRF 159 195 168
                            >
                            > As our race coordinator said, "these PHRF's are based on boats with new sails and a racing bottom with a folding prop and no roller head sail. So a 168 is most likely a low rating. I feel a 175 is the correct number." this from a fellow who has raced twice weekly for the last 20 years in Annapolis.
                            >
                            > As it turned out, I didn't race, but crewed on another boat. high winds and waves and an unfortunately timed accidental jibe resulted in a broken gooseneck fitting. Well, I don't like boom roller furling anyway.
                            > Hope this helps. All the best,
                            > Chip
                            >
                            > --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "kaikouravoyager" <kaikouravoyager@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Thanks for words of positive nature.
                            > > Do you know the PHRF rating?
                            > >
                            > > I hope to do some offshore sailing with just the wife and I and the CN 30 appears to be really well built and ocean worthy even though the yacht is a little on the small size.
                            > >
                            > > Tom
                            > >
                            > > --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "solon_mhor" <solon_mhor@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Tom,
                            > > >
                            > > > I agree with the comments below. I've owned Solon Mhor (1973, #23) since Nov 2004 and found it a great forgiving sailer. it is very responsive to tiller will just about turn in its own length. best points of sail are close-hauled to close reach, although I admit I haven't used the asymmetrical for downwind yet. replaced both main and #1 genoa (believed to be close in age to the boat) in the last 2 yrs and roller furler (same), which improved performance.
                            > > > with or without autotiller assist it's easily single handed (it does get busy without the autotiller or second hand); would get a little crowded with more than 4. We mostly do day trips and weekends shortcruising and find storage can be a nuisance. oh the other hand, the boat reportedly made 3 trips across the north atlantic, one during the winter of 1985-86, according to a plaque in the main cabin. Re data points--ASA has some comparison of CN models from a PHRF viewpoint but I've seen no polar diagrams or descriptons of CN models other than the website Kings Yacht Agency.
                            > > > Best of luck
                            > > > Chip, Solon Mhor

                          • kaikouravoyager
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 29, 2010
                              Where I get confused is the in house design CN 30 is a 1/2 tonner and the Ron Holland was a 1/4 tonner?.

                              A 168 for the one Im looking would be amazing.

                              Tom

                              --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "solon_mhor" <solon_mhor@...> wrote:

                              > Tom,
                              >
                              > the reference should have been to U.S.Sailing i/o ASA. here is a table that compares the CN30 against three others:
                              >
                              > Solon Mhor (N30) N303 N31 N30 (1/2 ton)
                              > P 30.4 32.3 34.7 30.4
                              > I 36.2 38.5 40 36.2
                              > J 12 11.8 12.8 12
                              > E 10 10 13.5 10
                              > Disp 7280 7840 12992 7170
                              > LOA 29 30'3" 30'7" 30
                              > WL 25'5" 24'2" 24'2" 24'9"
                              > Sail Area 453 492 624 514
                              > D/L 211 195 411 ?
                              > PHRF 159 195 168
                              >
                              > As our race coordinator said, "these PHRF's are based on boats with new sails and a racing bottom with a folding prop and no roller head sail. So a 168 is most likely a low rating. I feel a 175 is the correct number." this from a fellow who has raced twice weekly for the last 20 years in Annapolis.
                              >
                              > As it turned out, I didn't race, but crewed on another boat. high winds and waves and an unfortunately timed accidental jibe resulted in a broken gooseneck fitting. Well, I don't like boom roller furling anyway.
                              > Hope this helps. All the best,
                              > Chip
                              >
                              > --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "kaikouravoyager" <kaikouravoyager@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Thanks for words of positive nature.
                              > > Do you know the PHRF rating?
                              > >
                              > > I hope to do some offshore sailing with just the wife and I and the CN 30 appears to be really well built and ocean worthy even though the yacht is a little on the small size.
                              > >
                              > > Tom
                              > >
                              > > --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "solon_mhor" <solon_mhor@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Tom,
                              > > >
                              > > > I agree with the comments below. I've owned Solon Mhor (1973, #23) since Nov 2004 and found it a great forgiving sailer. it is very responsive to tiller will just about turn in its own length. best points of sail are close-hauled to close reach, although I admit I haven't used the asymmetrical for downwind yet. replaced both main and #1 genoa (believed to be close in age to the boat) in the last 2 yrs and roller furler (same), which improved performance.
                              > > > with or without autotiller assist it's easily single handed (it does get busy without the autotiller or second hand); would get a little crowded with more than 4. We mostly do day trips and weekends shortcruising and find storage can be a nuisance. oh the other hand, the boat reportedly made 3 trips across the north atlantic, one during the winter of 1985-86, according to a plaque in the main cabin. Re data points--ASA has some comparison of CN models from a PHRF viewpoint but I've seen no polar diagrams or descriptons of CN models other than the website Kings Yacht Agency.
                              > > > Best of luck
                              > > > Chip, Solon Mhor

                            • Dave
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 14 5:33 PM
                                Hi Tom,

                                I'm doing my best to lay the confusion to rest.

                                The Nicholson 30 was designed in house at C&N, by Raymond Wall, and has a transom-hung rudder.

                                The Ron Holland yacht was never marketed as a "Nicholson 30", it was marketed as the "Nicholson Half Tonner".

                                The Nicholson 303 is different from both. The 303 shares the Half Tonner's hull and rudder, but that's it - The rig, deck, keel and interior are unique to it, and none of the three has the same handicap.

                                Hope this helps.

                                Dave Seer.