Denison Deri Hydraulic motor reduction ratio

  • Simon Frost
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 3, 2009
      I am contemplating getting a feathering prop in the winter but need to know the reduction ratio for the Denison Deri M6-1 motor that runs off the original Perkins 4108. The Denison people based in Wakefield could not help as the motor is now extinct!

      Any thoughts and if so what feathering prop would be the best as it would need to exit straight out the back of the keel ie no P or A bracket fitted hence the reason that we struggle going astern! Currently we have the original 16'' x 8.5'' 2 bladed prop.

      Ideally a limited modification to the propshaft (1'' 1/8th diam) would be good

      Simon

      Samiotissa/62

    • svlevity
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 3, 2009
        Simon,

        We also have the Denison hydraulic drive and decided to buy a J Prop
        when we replaced ours. The J Prop is adjustable very quickly and easily
        under water, only takes 15-30 seconds. The person we spoke to at J Prop
        was the only one who seemed to truly understand the issue of reduction
        ratio relative to the hydraulic drive system. After having determined
        the diameter of the prop you are going to get, the easy adjustability of
        the J Prop makes the most sense. There was no need to modify the
        propshaft because the folks at J Prop will machine the prop-taper to fit
        your shaft. We're very happy with the J Prop.

        Steve Perry
        CN 80 Levity

        --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Simon Frost <sfrost35@...> wrote:

        > I am contemplating getting a feathering prop in the winter but need to know the reduction ratio for the Denison Deri M6-1 motor that runs off the original Perkins 4108. The Denison people based in Wakefield could not help as the motor is now extinct!
        >
        > Any thoughts and if so what feathering prop would be the best as it would need to exit straight out the back of the keel ie no P or A bracket fitted hence the reason that we struggle going astern! Currently we have the original 16'' x 8.5'' 2 bladed prop.
        >
        > Ideally a limited modification to the propshaft (1'' 1/8th diam) would be good
        >
        > Simon
        >
        > Samiotissa/62

      • Simon Frost
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 3, 2009
          Thanks Steve for this although J Prop doesn't appear to have a UK agent which would be ideal.
          simon

          We also have the Denison hydraulic drive and decided to buy a J Prop
          when we replaced ours. The J Prop is adjustable very quickly and easily
          under water, only takes 15-30 seconds. The person we spoke to at J Prop
          was the only one who seemed to truly understand the issue of reduction
          ratio relative to the hydraulic drive system. After having determined
          the diameter of the prop you are going to get, the easy adjustability of
          the J Prop makes the most sense. There was no need to modify the
          propshaft because the folks at J Prop will machine the prop-taper to fit
          your shaft. We're very happy with the J Prop.

          Steve Perry
          CN 80 Levity

          --- In campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com, Simon Frost <sfrost35@.. .> wrote:

          > I am contemplating getting a feathering prop in the winter but need to know the reduction ratio for the Denison Deri M6-1 motor that runs off the original Perkins 4108. The Denison people based in Wakefield could not help as the motor is now extinct!
          >
          > Any thoughts and if so what feathering prop would be the best as it would need to exit straight out the back of the keel ie no P or A bracket fitted hence the reason that we struggle going astern! Currently we have the original 16'' x 8.5'' 2 bladed prop.
          >
          > Ideally a limited modification to the propshaft (1'' 1/8th diam) would be good
          >
          > Simon
          >
          > Samiotissa/62

        • John Tapscott
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3, 2009

            Simon,

            When I first bought Zuleika Vair  she had the same fixed two bladed prop, hydraulic drive and engine you describe and we changed the prop for a 3 bladed Maxprop which has been very satisfactory for the last 8 or 9 years.  One of the reasons for choosing this was that there is no need for any form of brake on the shaft when sailing whereas it seemed most of the alternatives then available suggested one was necessary.  However changes to the pitch are only possible by taking the hub apart so it has to be done with the boat out of the water.  The shaft taper was no problem as it was taken into account by the firm which fitted it but I would add that the pitch set by them seemed to me to be too coarse so I have since reduced it.

            If you are interested in any further information please let me know and I would be happy to respond.

            Regards,

            John

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 3, 2009
              --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Simon Frost <sfrost35@...> wrote:

              > ... need to know the reduction ratio for the Denison Deri M6-1 motor

              Simon - There are two ways to determine the reduction ratio: by calculation or by measurement. To calculate it you divide the motor displacement by the pump displacement. These displacements can usually be divined from the numbers stamped on the identification plates on the pump and motor. But as you found upon contacting Denison, old hardware can have a certain Rosetta Stone quality to it.

              Measurement is easy with a non-contact tachometer. I think I bought mine on Amazon for about $30. Search the web and you'll find a source for one. You use it to measure the prop shaft rotation speed. Divide engine RPM by prop shaft speed and you have your reduction ratio. It is best to measure it at cruising speed since there is some slip in the hydraulic system.

              Good luck!
              Seth
              Liberty, CN35 #21
            • rogerbentonuk
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 3, 2009
                I have a copy of an article published in Practical Boat Owner(March 2001) titled 'More Power at the Prop' in which Don Seddon examined the Nic 35 hydraulic drive chain and mentions that the reduction ratio is 1.6 to 1.

                In the article he fitted a 16inch 3 bladed J prop set at 7.7 inch pitch though he then replaced the hydraulic pump and motor increasing the drive ratio to 1.95 to 1 and eventually settling on a pitch of 9inches.

                I have placed a copy of the article on my web site at the following URL:

                http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/rbenton/Nic35_documents.html

                Like yourself I am thinking of fitting feathering prop so would be interested in what you decide to fit.

                Best wishes
                Roger
                Nic 35/86
              • Simon Frost
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 4, 2009
                  Thanks Seth for the measurement tip. Very useful.
                  Simon

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 4, 2009
                    John,
                    Thanks for that. It seems that Darglow ltd based in Salisbury are the UK Max Prop agents. They have a new Max Prop VP that can be adjusted externally which sounds better. They also do their own so I will have a chat with them.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 4, 2009
                      Roger
                      An interesting article with Don Seddons phone number as well so I will phone for some advice.
                      Many thanks
                      Simon

                      I have a copy of an article published in Practical Boat Owner(March 2001) titled 'More Power at the Prop' in which Don Seddon examined the Nic 35 hydraulic drive chain and mentions that the reduction ratio is 1.6 to 1.

                      In the article he fitted a 16inch 3 bladed J prop set at 7.7 inch pitch though he then replaced the hydraulic pump and motor increasing the drive ratio to 1.95 to 1 and eventually settling on a pitch of 9inches.

                      I have placed a copy of the article on my web site at the following URL:

                      http://www.users. zetnet.co. uk/rbenton/ Nic35_documents. html

                      Like yourself I am thinking of fitting feathering prop so would be interested in what you decide to fit.

                      Best wishes
                      Roger
                      Nic 35/86

                    • Thomas J Middelthon
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 8, 2009

                        Regarding propellers;

                        I have mentioned it before to this group;

                        Being the Norwegian agent for Brunton’s Autoprop I can provide more info on props to anyone interested (send me an e-mail). And/or  see www.bruntons-propellers.com .

                        With my 4.107 / hydr drive I get max rpm around 2500 , speed somewhere above 7 knots. Cruising 6 knots +, RPM 1500. On RPM 1100 I get 5-5,5 knots. Motor sailing is unbeatable due to automatic pitch.

                        Price is in the region of GBP 1600-1700 and I think I should be able to help any one interested to get a good (better) price.

                        Thomas J. Middelthon

                        Nich 35 # 40, North Wind

                        Stavanger/Norway

                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 7, 2013
                          hello, which size was it, regards
                          Jose
                          Tethis cn35 #58

                          --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "John Tapscott" <jrtapscott@...> wrote:

                          > Simon,
                          >

                          > When I first bought Zuleika Vair she had the same fixed two bladed prop,
                          > hydraulic drive and engine you describe and we changed the prop for a 3
                          > bladed Maxprop which has been very satisfactory for the last 8 or 9 years.
                          > One of the reasons for choosing this was that there is no need for any form
                          > of brake on the shaft when sailing whereas it seemed most of the
                          > alternatives then available suggested one was necessary. However changes to
                          > the pitch are only possible by taking the hub apart so it has to be done
                          > with the boat out of the water. The shaft taper was no problem as it was
                          > taken into account by the firm which fitted it but I would add that the
                          > pitch set by them seemed to me to be too coarse so I have since reduced it.
                          >

                          > If you are interested in any further information please let me know and I
                          > would be happy to respond.
                          >

                          > Regards,
                          >

                          > John
                          >

                          > _____

                        • arnesenr
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 9, 2013
                            Hi,

                            Regarding the hydraulic system, Iam considering changing the current British Filter house to spin off type but am a little worried that it might not allow enough fluid through. Has anyone changed out their filter system and is there a spec that has to be met?

                            regards,
                            RalphArnesen
                            Argonaut of Rhu, 8

                            Sent from Samsung tablet

                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 9, 2013
                              If you can find the max flow specification of the hydraulic pump you should be able to find a filter than either matches or exceeds the flow figure.
                              Graham