Depth Transducer - hull thickness

  • Bob Horvath
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 7, 2009
      I am trying to decide what to do wrt depth instrumentation for my CN 35.
      I am looking to upgrade or replace my Hercules Depthsounder, which would cost $200+ for each replacement transducer.

      Is anyone using an in-hull depth transducer (as opposed to thru-hull) ?

      I am trying to discover whether an Airmar P79 will work (probably with Raymarine ST 40 or 60)
      - Maximum hull thickness recommended for this transducer is
      5/8".

      Any information and or ideas would be appreciated.

      Thanks.

      Bob Horvath
      (CN35 #18 - Grace)

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 7, 2009
        Bob,

        It'll probably work, as long as you don't try to shoot it through the v
        of the hull, but considering the performance impact, you're better off
        installing a conventional thru-hull since the ST40/ST60 series are
        fairly low power depth sounders anyway.

        Graham
        (Raymarine Certified Installer)

        Bob Horvath wrote:

        > I am trying to decide what to do wrt depth instrumentation for my CN 35.
        > I am looking to upgrade or replace my Hercules Depthsounder, which
        > would cost $200+ for each replacement transducer.
        >
        > Is anyone using an *in-hull depth transducer* (as opposed to thru-hull) ?
        >
        > I am trying to discover whether an/* */*Airmar P79 *will work
        > (probably with/* */*Raymarine ST 40 or 60*/*)
        > - Maximum hull thickness recommended for this transducer is** 5/8".*/
        >

        > Any information and or ideas would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Bob Horvath
        > (CN35 #18 - Grace)

        > Spam <http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=s&i=182490902&m=788588930049>
        > Not spam
        > <http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=n&i=182490902&m=788588930049>
        > Forget previous vote
        > <http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=f&i=182490902&m=788588930049>

      • John Tapscott
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 8, 2009

          When I first bought our Nic 35 I fitted Raymarine ST60 instruments for all the usual functions including depth gauge.  I did not want to drill a further hole to accommodate a through hull fitting so I bought their transducer which is sold for working from the inside of the hull.  However  I wanted to fit it under the forepeak floor where the hull has a pronounced V shape.  I overcame this by epoxying a tube to the inside of the hull and wedging the transducer, with the top horizontal, as far down as possible.  I then  filled it with castor oil and fitted a clip on cap through which the wire to the transducer was fed.  This system has worked very reliably for the best part of 10 years and seems to give very good readings.  I was worried at first that the oil would spill when heeling or in big seas but in practice this does not seem to happen.

          I am aware that since I fitted this depth gauge Raymarine has introduced a transducer which is sold to be fitted inside the hull in sections with a pronounced V and it may be therefore that if I was doing the job today I would have used this instead of the method I described above but obviously what I did was the cheap solution.

          I hope these comments may be helpful.

          Regards,

          John Tapscott

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 8, 2009
            More than 20 years ago the through-hull transducer on Blue Days (35/209) was replaced by two in-hull transducers with a gravity changeover switch. These are Brookes and Gatehouse units and the new installation was carried out by a B&G engineer. The transducers are located under the floor in the forecabin and are mounted at the angle dictated by the hull V. The installation has always worked perfectly.

            Regards,

            Michael Forsdyke

            I am trying to decide what to do wrt depth instrumentation for my CN 35.
            I am looking to upgrade or replace my Hercules Depthsounder, which would cost $200+ for each replacement transducer.

            Is anyone using an in-hull depth transducer (as opposed to thru-hull) ?

            I am trying to discover whether an Airmar P79 will work (probably with Raymarine ST 40 or 60)
            - Maximum hull thickness recommended for this transducer is
            5/8".

            Any information and or ideas would be appreciated.

            Thanks.

            Bob Horvath
            (CN35 #18 - Grace)

          • Thomas J Middelthon
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 8, 2009

              Hello

              I use the ST 60 std in-hull and it works fine. Epoxied a epoxy tube on the inside of the hull, near between mast/starboard bench.

              Thomas

              North Wind, Stavanger, Norway

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 8, 2009
                --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Horvath" <horvath@...> wrote:

                > Is anyone using an in-hull depth transducer?
                > I am trying to discover whether an Airmar P79 will work

                Hi Bob - I fitted an Airmar P79, horizontally, on the centerline, on the forward-most flat spot accessible through the hatch in the cabin sole beneath the V-berth. It works fine with my Navman 3100 depth instrument. I installed it mostly as an experiment, not really expecting it would be able to read through such a thick area, but I'm satisfied with the performance.

                I leveled the area with a disc sander, finishing with a fine grit. I installed the beveled mounting ring with 3M 4200 in the "0-degree" (horizontal) position. After the 4200 dried I filled the ring with mineral oil and screwed down the P79. No oil leaks yet, so the O-ring seal between the P79 and the ring seems to work fine.

                Test the operation of the transducer by putting it over the side of the boat with the face of the transducer in the water, pointing at the bottom. You should get good depth readings. Then you can fill a small plastic bag with water, set that on the inside surface of the hull wherever you might want the transducer to live permanently and hold the transducer against that bag (the idea being to provide a "cushion" of water between the transducer and the fiberglass). If it's a workable spot, you'll get a good reading of the depth on your sounder display.

                I hope it works for you.

                Seth
                Liberty, CN 35 #21
              • johndean61840
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 8, 2009
                  ---Hi Bob

                  I have been doing about the same thing in my cn32, cheers, john dean In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "J. Seth Strattan" <strattan@...> wrote:

                  > --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Horvath" <horvath@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Is anyone using an in-hull depth transducer?
                  > > I am trying to discover whether an Airmar P79 will work
                  >
                  > Hi Bob - I fitted an Airmar P79, horizontally, on the centerline, on the forward-most flat spot accessible through the hatch in the cabin sole beneath the V-berth. It works fine with my Navman 3100 depth instrument. I installed it mostly as an experiment, not really expecting it would be able to read through such a thick area, but I'm satisfied with the performance.
                  >
                  > I leveled the area with a disc sander, finishing with a fine grit. I installed the beveled mounting ring with 3M 4200 in the "0-degree" (horizontal) position. After the 4200 dried I filled the ring with mineral oil and screwed down the P79. No oil leaks yet, so the O-ring seal between the P79 and the ring seems to work fine.
                  >
                  > Test the operation of the transducer by putting it over the side of the boat with the face of the transducer in the water, pointing at the bottom. You should get good depth readings. Then you can fill a small plastic bag with water, set that on the inside surface of the hull wherever you might want the transducer to live permanently and hold the transducer against that bag (the idea being to provide a "cushion" of water between the transducer and the fiberglass). If it's a workable spot, you'll get a good reading of the depth on your sounder display.
                  >
                  > I hope it works for you.
                  >
                  > Seth
                  > Liberty, CN 35 #21

                • geoff.n35fly
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 10, 2009
                    --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Horvath" <horvath@...> wrote:

                    > I am trying to decide what to do wrt depth instrumentation for my CN 35.
                    > I am looking to upgrade or replace my Hercules Depthsounder, which would
                    > cost $200+ for each replacement transducer.
                    >
                    > Is anyone using an in-hull depth transducer (as opposed to thru-hull) ?
                    >
                    > I am trying to discover whether an Airmar P79 will work (probably with
                    > Raymarine ST 40 or 60)
                    > - Maximum hull thickness recommended for this transducer is 5/8".
                    >

                    > Any information and or ideas would be appreciated.
                    >
                    > Thanks.
                    >
                    > Bob Horvath
                    > (CN35 #18 - Grace)

                    Ben,
                    I installed an ST40 "in hull" depth transducer in an Ohlson 38, and more recently an ST60 "in hull" transducer in my Nic 35. Both were installed in the inboard/aft corner of the locker just fwd of the chart table, with the liquid filled tube vertical. Both appeared to work perfectly.
                    Best regards
                    Geoff McB.

                  • john dean
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 10, 2009
                      Hello Bob

                      I use the on sale depth systems, Just use a plastic bag half full of water to find a place where you get good readings. I have two on the starboard side in the middle of the boat. I choose the location for convience some 10 years ago.

                      Cheers, JohnDean

                      > I am trying to decide what to do wrt depth instrumentation for my CN 35.
                      > I am looking to upgrade or replace my Hercules Depthsounder, which would
                      > cost $200+ for each replacement transducer.
                      >
                      > Is anyone using an in-hull depth transducer (as opposed to thru-hull) ?
                      >
                      > I am trying to discover whether an Airmar P79 will work (probably with
                      > Raymarine ST 40 or 60)
                      > - Maximum hull thickness recommended for this transducer is 5/8".
                      >

                      > Any information and or ideas would be appreciated.
                      >
                      > Thanks.
                      >
                      > Bob Horvath
                      > (CN35 #18 - Grace)

                      Ben,
                      I installed an ST40 "in hull" depth transducer in an Ohlson 38, and more recently an ST60 "in hull" transducer in my Nic 35. Both were installed in the inboard/aft corner of the locker just fwd of the chart table, with the liquid filled tube vertical. Both appeared to work perfectly.
                      Best regards
                      Geoff McB.

                    • JOHN LARSON
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 19, 2009
                        John Gaul,
                        We're in Rockland on Ansley's mooring, and will be heading south in about a week.

                        I forgot to bring your e-mail address, so this is the only way of contacting you.  Our cell phone no. is 612 269 6647.  Give us a call when convenient.

                        John and Sandy Larson

                      • galljj35
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 20, 2009
                          John:

                          I left you a voicemail. You can call me on my cell - 617-283-3582 until about 7 most evenings. After that, call 857-277-1913. No cell service in the condo !

                          Hopefully your sailing weather will be more pleasant than ours. Several days wiped out by gale force winds, others by torrential downpours.

                          The days with steady 16 knot winds were great, if you don't mind 1/4 mile visibility.

                          Best to Sandy, and hope to catch you on your way by.

                          BTW, I saw "I Wanda" about a month ago when I was on a boat in Beverly, MA.

                        • JOHN LARSON
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 25, 2009
                            Hi, John,
                            Got your phone message after we got back from cruising in no-cell-reception-areas.  Thanks.  We are just leaving Rockland today.  We will be slowly working our way down the coast.  When we get close, we'll give you a call.  Hopefully, we can get together.

                            We got those rains here, too.  In fact, yesterday it rained all day, we had more water in the dinghy that we've ever seen.

                            See you soon,
                            John and Sandy