RE: [campernicholson] Re: "Free" Hatch and other things

  • Colin Campbell-Dunlop
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 11, 2009

      Yes, I think that at least on the earlier boats the saloon hatch was an optional extra.

      Ditto the small hatch that some 35s have in the heads compartment.

      Colin

      Trutz

      35/225

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 11, 2009
        Mine is #138 and she also did not have a hatch over the cabin. Thought it strange actually as everyone else seemed to have one and I felt left out ;-)

        That was one of the upgrades i just finished this year. English boats tend to be designed for inclement weather rather that the heat of the tropics or the Med. I replace the forward hatch with a new Lewmar Ocean 60 and fitted a new Lewmar Ocean 60 over the cabin to increase air and light. I also increased the size of the cowl vents and heads fans. It getas hot in the Med. I learned they cabin top was 47mm thick, heavily constructed and it is not trivial to cut through that much glass and balsa in the process. I will some phots up once a little more organised.

        Regards
        Graham

      • john.gall@verizon.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 11, 2009
          FWIW, Skye is hull number 78 and (obviously) has the hatch.  But it also looks like a modular "drop-in" because the frame to which the hatch is
          attached appears to be a separate element that is bolted to the cabin top.  There is a small seal around the periphery of this element which I suspect is the source of one of my leaks.

          --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Allen LoCicero wrote:

          > Hello,
          > I'm a new owner. I wanted to ask at some point were the 35's manufactured without the main salon hatch?
          > Allen
          > 35'� # 130
          >

          > ________________________________

        • JOHN LARSON
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 11, 2009

            Ours in number 85 and it also didn't have a hatch over the main cabin.  We added one back in the 90's, a Bomar I think, which is the same size as the front hatch, and has been very satisfactory.

            The front hatch is still doing fine, though the plastic has been replaced and a few other cosmetic things have been done to it.  Our front hatch has hinges on the front end, which I thought was crazy, but have come to prefer through the years we've had the boat.

            John
            CN 35, Passport
          • Allen LoCicero
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 12, 2009
              Well Graham it's good to know I wasn't alone in thinking I was missing something. I have other projects but I think it would be a great benefit.
              I live on the Texas Gulf coast. It supposed to be 95 degrees this weekend.
              # 130