hatch seals

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 8, 2009
      I have developed a slight leak in the hatch in the main salon. What gasket
      material do you recommend

      Dennis Gibbons
      dkgibbons at optonline dot net
    • Denece
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9, 2009
        I went with a slightly oversized round foam rubber set in automotive glass seal (black) No further leaks in 9 years.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 9, 2009
          If your looking for a quick fix, coat the old gasket with electrical wire dip stuff.  We had a leak in the Bahamas and couldn't find a gasket.  The coated old gasket lasted for five years longer at least and didn't leak a drop.

          John Larson

          CN 35-85, Passport
        • Richard Albamonti
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 9, 2009
            Make sure you know where the leak is before you do anything. Leaks tend to travel. As a part of this project, you might want to check the hatch is square as years of hull flexing and rig tensioning can force them out of square. Run two threads corner to corner, if they touch where they cross, the hatch is square. If there is a gap, it is out of square and you might want to get a new hatch.
            Bets of Luck,
            Rick
            SV/ ABISHAG  39-31

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 9, 2009
              Howdy,

              'Wire dip stuff', what a wonderful idea. When out and about , I used
              half of a clothes pin (wooden,one side only, like a wedge) which
              increased how hard the hatch was seated. But your idea,,, perfect. I
              always carry a can of liquid tape (if that's was what you used), but
              didn't think of that approach. Thanks, I'll remember that .

              Rick, 35-77 ' Wisp'

              --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN LARSON" <jsl-sll@...>
              wrote:

              > If your looking for a quick fix, coat the old gasket with electrical
              wire dip stuff. We had a leak in the Bahamas and couldn't find a gasket.
              The coated old gasket lasted for five years longer at least and didn't
              leak a drop.

              > John Larson
              >
              > CN 35-85, Passport

            • JOHN LARSON
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 9, 2009
                Rick

                That's the stuff we used.  Couldn't remember the name exactly.

                John,
                Passport, 35-85