RE: [campernicholson] Re: Question re: fitting

  • Colin Campbell-Dunlop
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2009

      Hi Russ,

      This is all an interesting debate and I note your point about getting the centre of effort of the storm jib as far back as possible.  In an ideal world that is what we would do.  However, as you say, compromise is the key and we are planning to get a ‘blade’ type genoa cut to run on the inner stay also.  This would give us good sail shape for upwind stuff over 25 knots or so with the option of going down to the storm jib if it gets really windy.  Our theory is that the ‘blade’ will be balanced on reef 2 of the main and the storm jib on reef three.  We have a trysail and all the kit and caboodle that goes with it but we have never had to put it up the mast.

      Interesting idea re the code zero.  I would not personally want to play around with the fixing points for the forestay as it might upset the balance.  One thing I have considered though is fabricating a stainless bowsprit of about 3-4 feet in length which could be removeable.  We would fly our chute from that but it would also be an excellent fixing point for a furling type code zero or similar.  On a broad reach she would fly with that set up as it would just stop it from getting blanked by the main….is my thought.

      If our sailmaker could read this he would be rubbing his hands with glee.

      On another note, when funds permit I am considering a new main and genoa in Hood Vectron.  Has anyone else had sails made up in this fabric?  I am hearing lots of good things about it.  Very strong, virtually no stretch, very durable, nice to look at, excellent UV stability etc.

      Rgds

      Colin

      Trutz 35/225

      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2009
        Graham, et al,

        Well, that's it. I've been pounded into submission by the irrefutable logic and experience of my fellow Nickophiles (Nick-heads? Nick-o-lodians?). Also re-read an article from the May/June issue of Ocean Navigator on this issue, plus a piece written by Joe Cooper. Using the solent to hoist the storm jib seems to be by far the simplest way to proceed, and everyone seems to say that it works just fine. Not to mention, the $$$ being spend on the ssb are largely for the purpose of being able to avoid bad weather in the first place.

        In addition, the solent stay could be used to fly twin Genoas downwind, or as Colin notes in the next message, a smallish "blade" beating in heavier air. This forum certainly serves a purpose; there's comfort in numbers. We might all be wrong, but we'll all be wrong together . . . and then our wives can't blame us.

        Russ

        --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Graham Norbury <gnorbury@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > > between the windlass and about 8 inches back from the existing stay. I
        > > > don't know what your plans are but we found that mounting it that far
        > > > forward killed two birds with one stone. It is attached high enough
        > > on the
        > > > mast to avoid the need for running backstays and also is in a very
        > > heavily
        > > > constructed part of the deck. In the opinion of the yard we used and
        > > of the
        > > > surveyor who looked at it there is no need to tie in to a point in
        > > the hull.
        > > >

        > > > This said, the fitting is very heavy duty and has a s/s backing plate
        > > > underneath which is definitely of the 'no nonsense/bomb proof'
        > > variety. We
        > > > are yet to try it in anger but I am pretty confident.
        > > >

        > > > Do you think you might have any problems with anchor chain fouling your

      • minnehaha64
        Message 3 of 16 , May 1, 2009
          Colin,

          See my previous response to Graham Norbury, in which I capitulate to "group wisdom" (a phrase which, in politics, is usually an oxymoron). I like your idea about a smallish blade. My prior owner had the original CN sails refurbished shortly before he replaced the mast with a taller one. There's a #3 hank-on jib in my inventory which just might be perfect.

          Re your trysail: Does it hang close to the mast, or toward the aft end of the boom? Did you add a storm track to the mast?

          I did a bit more research on the Code Zero. Beth Leonard and Evans Starzinger advocated using it for cruising in a seminar I attended a few years back. Checking their website, I see that they use it only on a very close reach in light winds. Since there are a lot of zeroes in the price of that particular sail, and it seems to have been developed more for racing, I'll probably forego that purchase for a while.

          I had new sails made from Hood Vectron two years ago. I've also, as you know, spent most of the last two years on the hard, primarily with a busted engine, so I have yet to be able to evaluate them very much. We did sail them for one long, beautiful day last spring and liked them very much. Joe Cooper at Hood in Newport, R.I. is a delight to work with. Maybe you can get a fleet discount!

        • Colin Campbell-Dunlop
          Message 4 of 16 , May 1, 2009

            Dear Russ,

            Thanks for the input on all of this it is very helpful.  Pleased to hear that you have had a good experience so far with your Vektron sails.  They certainly seem to tick quite a few boxes so if I can justify the cost this year I will go for it.  More likely next season though if I am truthful.

            Our trysail has a dedicated track on the aft starboard side of the mast.  It starts just above the gooseneck and goes right up beyond the spreaders.  It is heavy gauge aluminium track to fit the equally heavy gauge slides on the sail.  The plan is to drop the boom down and lash it off.  The sail then sheets via blocks on the quarters back to a cleat or strong point in the cockpit.  This is all theory though as we haven’t put the thing up in five years of ownership.  It was on board when we bought the boat!

            Good luck with getting everything fixed up and have a great season.

            <colinj@> wrote:

            > > > It sounds to me like it might be a fitting to attach the 'bitter
            end' of
            > > > your anchor rode.
            > > >

            > > > On our boat, hull 225, the fitting is much higher up so that you
            can
            > > unhook
            > > > it even when the anchor chain is in place so the design may have
            changed
            > > > over the years.
            > > >

            > > > It is possible that I have a design drawing for one of the early
            boats
            > so
            > > > will have a look.
            > > >

            > > > What were you thinking of attaching to it?
            > > >

            > > > Rgds
            > > >

            > > > Colin
            > > >

            > > > _____
            > > >
            > > > From: campernicholson@ <mailto:campernicho lson%40yahoogrou ps.com>
            > > yahoogroups. com

          • mumeskara
            Message 5 of 16 , May 1, 2009
              Nick-o-lodians is my favourite!

              --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "minnehaha64" <russ.armstrong@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > mast a few inches below the top of the mast. I think these fittings
              > > > are there for the installation of a "Solent" stay. The advice I've
              > > > found for the storm jib and storm trysail is they be close to the mast
              > > > to concentrate the center of effort. Mounting the stay a bit further
              > > > aft and a bit lower down the mast accomplishes that, but it puts the
              > > > lower mounting point at a less-massive section of the deck and will
              > > > require running backs. Everything's a compromise.
              > > >
              > > > I've toyed with the idea of moving the forestay, along with furler and
              > > > headsail back to the Solent mounting points, and installing a Code
              > > > Zero ahead. Haven't run that by my rigging advisor. Will he laugh at me?
              > > >
              > > > Russ
              > > >
              > > > --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
              > > > <mailto:campernicholson%40yahoogroups.com>, "Colin Campbell-Dunlop"

            • Denece
              Message 6 of 16 , May 1, 2009
                Hey! I resemble that statement!