Motoring Astern

  • Don Munro
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5, 2009
      I would grateful for any thoughts from the group on motoring a Nic 35 astern. Is it as bad as some make out? Are there any tricks/techniques? Cheers, Don
    • Thomas J Middelthon
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 5, 2009

        Yes, it is really difficult in reverse.

        The way I see it there’s 3 ways of improving it;

        1.       Fit a bow thruster

        2.       Fin an Autoprop propeller (has minimum paddle effect due to design/how it works)

        3.       Enlarge the rudder

        …..but still it is quite bad !

        Thomas J. Middelthon

        North Wind, N35#40, Stavanger Norway

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2009
          Don,

          As a result of my day job working in a boatyard, I've been in the
          position to maneuver a great variety of sailboats of all shapes sizes
          and hull configurations. All I can say is that the late model Nic35's
          with a v-drive are by no means any more difficult to manage astern than
          any other similarly equipped vessel. The turn to port is predictable,
          and in many instances, quite handy. Things may be different with the
          hydraulic drives, since the prop is further away from the rudder,
          however I haven't had the opportunity to try one out.

          regards
          Graham

          Don Munro wrote:

          > I would grateful for any thoughts from the group on motoring a Nic 35
          > astern. Is it as bad as some make out? Are there any
          > tricks/techniques? Cheers, Don

          > Spam <http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=s&i=168694839&m=ea9d51e99d12>
          > Not spam
          > <http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=n&i=168694839&m=ea9d51e99d12>
          > Forget previous vote
          > <http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=f&i=168694839&m=ea9d51e99d12>

        • JIM TEIPEN
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2009
            My boat has a hydraulic drive with an Autostream prop and has had the rudder extended, which I believe was a later recommendation by Camper Nicholson. I would have to say that backing is no more difficult that any other boat that I have ever backed.  I would assume that since the prop is farther forward on the hydraulic drive, there is less turbulence in the area of the rudder, perhaps making it easier to back.  However, I've never backed a v drive boat so I have no way of knowing.

            Jim
            SV Alegria
            CN 35

            To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
            From: munro39@...
            Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 18:39:05 +0000

            I would grateful for any thoughts from the group on motoring a Nic 35 astern. Is it as bad as some make out? Are there any tricks/techniques? Cheers, Don

            Windows Liveā„¢: Keep your life in sync. Check it out.
          • torbjorn.alveng
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 6, 2009
              --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Don Munro" <munro39@...> wrote:

              > I would grateful for any thoughts from the group on motoring a Nic 35 astern. Is it as bad as some make out? Are there any tricks/techniques? Cheers, Don

              Yes - its bad. But you don't nescesarry need to invest in rudder or thruster improvements.

              If you have a to-blade propeller, I think its going to the right.
              Try going astern and find out wich way the boat turns without using the rudder.
              (My boat turns left astern...)

              If you turn the rudder full in the opposite way as the propeller turns, you can maneuver your boat just by speed forward and backward. You can turn your boat around itself without tuching the rudder, just the engine speed.
              A little practice, and its quite easy!
              Good luck!
            • rogerbentonuk
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 7, 2009
                Hi Don
                We have a hydraulic drive version with the original rudder. I agree with the others who have posted that going astern is difficult but it is possible. Reversing in a marina environment for us would involve reversing then going forward to reposition then reversing again, sort of 2 steps back one step forward! The one factor in our favour is that with a hydraulic drive we can quickly shift from forward to reverse.

                I know your looking for a Nic 35 so if you can get up to Scotland you would be welcome to come spend a day on our boat with us (not to buy - just to try!). We should be back in the water just after Easter.

                Regards
                Roger

                Doucier #86