Rudder Shaft

  • Graham Horne
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2009
      I am about to fit a Raymarine Type Linear Drive to my Nicholson 35
      (#138). Rather than attach directly to the steering quadrant I wish
      to use an additional (bronze) tiller arm. My boat is in Turkey so
      getting the exact shaft size from the boat is difficult. I need to
      order the tiller arm slightly undersized (shaft size) and bore to
      exact hole size when I arrive in Turkey.

      So my question is, does anybody out there know what size rudder shaft
      the Nicholson 35 uses?

      Thanks for your help.

      Graham
    • JOHN LARSON
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 8, 2009

        Ours is 1 1/2" and is bronze.  A fact that I was very grateful for when I had to drill it for the two bolts which secure the tiller arm to the shaft.  Even so it was really difficult to do the drilling.

        John
        s/v Passport

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 9, 2009
          I have my rudder off currently and also the Nicholson 35 Mark V - Modified Rudder Drawing in front of me. The stock size is 1 1/2 inch Aluminium Bronze.

          Simon
          Blue Nava 35 / 177

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 9 1:46 AM
            Hi Simon,

            I am thinking to enlarge my rudder,too.
            Is it possible, that u will upload the Modified Rudder Drawing here or send by email ?
            Think it would be very helpful !

            Greetings from Germany !

            Michael

            --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, simon allard <blue.nava@...> wrote:

            > I have my rudder off currently and also the Nicholson 35 Mark V - Modified Rudder Drawing in front of me. The stock size is 1 1/2 inch Aluminium Bronze.
            >
            > Simon
            > Blue Nava 35 / 177

          • simon allard
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 9 1:38 PM
              Michael,
              I should clarify.
              I have not taken my rudder off to enlarge it only to repair the pintal and inspect.
              My previous email was in response to someone looking to know the rudder shaft size which I was able to help with as at the time my rudder was in my garage.
              Regards
              Simon