Re: Digest Number 202

  • Jteipen@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 11 , May 26 10:26 PM
      Dennis,

      I took some rough measurements when I was on the boat last weekend. The
      windlass is located about 45 inches aft of the shreave of the bow roller and
      is offset slightly to starboard. It's about 18 inches from the starboard cap
      rail and roughly 24 inches from the port cap rail. On Alegria, there is a
      trapazoidal raised portion of the deck which is perhaps 1/2 inch thicker than
      the rest of the deck and maybe about 1 square foot which looks to me like
      it's made specifically for mounting a windlass. Does Dark Lady have the
      same? You are correct regarding the drain....the drain I mentioned actually
      drains the deck anchor locker and is located above the forepeak floor which
      forms the top of the chain locker. The entire floor of the forepeak area
      doesn't isn't removable, there is a small lid in it which lifts up to give
      access to the chain locker. The hawse pipe deposits the chain forward of the
      v berth bulkhead, any water drains into the bilge.

      Hope that helps

      Jim Teipen
      SV Alegria
      CN 35 #68
      Message 2 of 11 , May 27 5:26 AM
        Jim,
        Sounds like your electric windless (did you tell me which brand you have?)
        is where my SL HiSpeed is located. Your description of the forepeek floor
        is similar to a drawing I got from CN but theirs allows a passage way
        through the bulkhead to the forward end of the V-berth. I will try
        something like that so I can move the chain aft (even if by hand) for
        offshore passages.
        dennis-gibbons@...

      • BarryR8195@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 11 , May 27 8:41 AM
          The trapezoidal area on the foredeck is reinforced and designed for a
          windlass. Our boat (C&N 35 # 151, "WILDFLOWER") came with a Simpson
          Lawrence 555 manual windlass. That's the heavy duty on. It has worked very
          well!--Barry Roberts