Deep Sea Seal

  • E. Morcillo
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 1, 2009

      Hi all:

      I am thinking on install a Deep Sea Seal on our Nic 35 (#194 with a V-Drive, and a broze shaft).

      Anybody have experienced it? Any advice?. We are looking for get a absolute dry engine bildge.

      Best regards,

      Enrique Morcillo
      #194 Defiance

    • dkgibbons@optonline.net
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 1, 2009
        I installed  PSS dripless shaft seal on Dark Lady and am very pleased with the results.
        Dennis Gibbons
        Dark Lady

        From: "E. Morcillo"
        Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009 2:01 pm
        Subject: [campernicholson] Deep Sea Seal
        To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com

        > Hi all:
        >
        > I am thinking on install a Deep Sea Seal on our Nic 35 (#194
        > with a V-Drive, and a broze shaft).
        >
        > Anybody have experienced it? Any advice?. We are looking for get
        > a absolute dry engine bildge.
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > Enrique Morcillo
        > #194 Defiance

        Regards,
        Dennis Gibbons
        dkgibbons at optonline dot net

      • E. Morcillo
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 1, 2009
          Hi, Dennis:

          Your shaft is inox made or bronze?

          Mine is broze and I´m not sure about the PSS here, and less about the Volvo.

          Thanks

          Enrique Morcillo
          CN35 #194 Defiance

          From: "E. Morcillo"
          Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009 2:01 pm
          To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com

          > Hi all:
          >
          > I am thinking on install a Deep Sea Seal on our Nic 35 (#194
          > with a V-Drive, and a broze shaft).
          >
          > Anybody have experienced it? Any advice?. We are looking for get
          > a absolute dry engine bildge.
          >
          > Best regards,
          >
          > Enrique Morcillo
          > #194 Defiance

          Regards,
          Dennis Gibbons
          dkgibbons at optonline dot net

        • John Tapscott
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 2, 2009

            When I bought our Nic 35 almost 10 years ago she had a Deep Sea Seal gland and I had a problem with leaks during the first year .  I replaced it with a Halyard one which is no longer available but has given us trouble free service since then.  The Halyard one is a seal running in oil which to me seemed a better solution than that of the Deep Sea unit.  The Deep Sea unit as well as leaking quite badly on one occasion always worried me in that if something happened to make it leak between the two bearings surfaces there is really nothing to stop a major problem.

            I hope this comment may be helpful.

            Regards,

            John Tapscott

            #194 Defiance

            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 2, 2009
              Enrique,

              I don't have personal experience with the Deep Sea Seals, but I did
              install a PSS dripless on my Nic35 V drive. Over the course of 3 years
              extensive cruising, I learned that forced water lubrication is better
              than passive, and that any engine misalignment causes seals to leak. If
              I were doing it over, I'd look at the Tides Marine "Strong Seal", which
              is what I installed on my current boat. It is much more tolerant of
              slight misalignment/vibration, but at the expense of overheating if the
              water supply fails.

              Do you have a web link to somewhere that sells the Deep Sea? I'd like
              to know more.
              Graham

              E. Morcillo wrote:

              > Hi all:
              >
              > I am thinking on install a Deep Sea Seal on our Nic 35 (#194 with a
              > V-Drive, and a broze shaft).
              >
              > Anybody have experienced it? Any advice?. We are looking for get a
              > absolute dry engine bildge.
              >
              > Best regards,
              >
              > Enrique Morcillo
              > #194 Defiance

              > Spam <http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=s&i=165443975&m=9f83aedd5701>
              > Not spam
              > <http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=n&i=165443975&m=9f83aedd5701>
              > Forget previous vote
              > <http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=f&i=165443975&m=9f83aedd5701>

            • Katie and Simon
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 2, 2009
                We also have the "Strong Seal" with water injection. It was already fitted to Gin Rummy when we bought her in 1998, and has always been reliable. I changed the lip seal in 2005 - I had the shaft out and thought it would be a good thing to do since the original was 15 years old - and it's continued to work well. We have a 1 3/8" (35mm) s/s shaft.

                Simon
                Gin Rummy, 35-202

                To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                From: gnorbury@...
                Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 06:59:21 -0500

                E. Morcillo wrote:

                > Hi all:
                >
                > I am thinking on install a Deep Sea Seal on our Nic 35 (#194 with a
                > V-Drive, and a broze shaft).
                >
                > Anybody have experienced it? Any advice?. We are looking for get a
                > absolute dry engine bildge.
                >
                > Best regards,
                >
                > Enrique Morcillo
                > #194 Defiance

                > Spam <http://mailshield. cosmoweb. net/b.php? c=s&i=165443975& m=9f83aedd5701>
                > Not spam
                > <http://mailshield. cosmoweb. net/b.php? c=n&i=165443975& m=9f83aedd5701>
                > Forget previous vote
                > <http://mailshield. cosmoweb. net/b.php? c=f&i=165443975& m=9f83aedd5701>

                Share your photos with Windows Live Photos – Free Find out more!
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 2, 2009
                  Enrique,
                  Bronze.
                  I think all the 35's are bronze.  Am I wrong?

                  Dennis

                  From: "E. Morcillo"
                  Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009 2:01 pm
                  To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com

                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 2, 2009
                    Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the case, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't
                    have been swapped out for a stainless shaft at some later date. Bronze
                    shafts do seem to wear faster at the cutlass bearing, and with the price
                    of metal these days, its pretty uncommon to install a bronze replacement.

                    Graham

                    Dennis Gibbons wrote:

                    > Enrique,
                    > Bronze.
                    > I think all the 35's are bronze. Am I wrong?
                    >
                    > Dennis

                  • Graham Horne
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 3, 2009
                      Just a quick question. I bought a new PSS seal at the London boat
                      show last month. The Nic 35 shaft as I understand it is 1 3/8"
                      (imperial), but what size is the flange over which the new boot goes
                      (or the size of the boot). I guessed to be honest at 2", is that
                      right? My boat is in Turkey so it is a little difficult to measure.
                      I will be out there next month. Aquafax will exchange if I have it wrong.

                      Thanks
                      Graham

                      --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Gibbons <dkgibbons@...>

                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 3, 2009
                        Hi Graham,

                        I don't know the exact diameter of the stern tube, but on our boat there is a flexible pipe connecting the shaft seal to the stern tube. The o/d of the flexible pipe is 65mm, so I would estimate the i/d to be around 55mm (a little over 2"). I've attached a photo of the stern tube with the shaft seal removed (out of the water of course!!). Given that the shaft is 35mm diameter, this might help you to estimate the flange diameter. Hope this helps!

                        Simon
                        Gin Rummy, 35-202

                        To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                        From: graham.horne@...
                        Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 19:08:36 +0000
                        Subject: [campernicholson] Re: Deep Sea Seal

                        wrote:

                        > Enrique,
                        > Bronze.
                        > I think all the 35's are bronze. Am I wrong?
                        >
                        > Dennis

                        Beyond Hotmail - see what else you can do with Windows Live Find out more!
                      • David Love
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 3, 2009

                          Hi Graham,

                          I have a Nic 345, made here in Brazil. It has a 2” flange – I guess you are referring to the OD of the tube where the shaft passes out through the hull?  Obviously best to check with a NIC 35 in the UK.

                          Here is a good link with photos and procedures for installation: http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/pss_shaft_seal

                          When I installed mine the o-rings were very tight around the shaft when slipping the ring down. I had to wet-and-dry with fine emery cloth to get it on. And used lots of detergent as lubricant.

                          The other thing was to get the right amount of pressure between the two sealing surfaces. The bellow should be reasonably collapsed. The instructions refer to about  1” down past the initial set-up to get the correct bellows pressure. I increased this a bit.

                          Cheers, David

                          wrote:

                          > Enrique,
                          > Bronze.
                          > I think all the 35's are bronze. Am I wrong?
                          >
                          > Dennis

                          Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo E-mail Protegido Terra.
                          Atualizado em 03/02/2009

                        • E. Morcillo
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 3, 2009
                            Hi all, and Graham:

                            Here is the Tides Marine web page: http://www.tidesmarine.com/shaft-seals.html

                            We can read here about the system, and this would work fine on ss but I think not suitable for a bronze shaft, neither the Volvo.

                            About the PSS, I am not sure about it, since the bronze shaft surface is not absolutely plain -a bit porous-.

                            Deep Sea Seals: Seem better for our shaft, since the seal is side by side, with a jubillee clamps fro both ends.

                            Link to Deep Sea Seal info  here and booklet here

                            Another solution seem the new era new material for a drip-less classic packing. A vendor link is here . This solution seem good, since we are concerning about the failure of a new systen, and if the packing fail, you can change it with the boat in the water ( I am not sure abou it with me...). Too, the price is very high, and adding cost for shipping to Europe give a similar cost to the other systems.,,

                            Another link with some interesting info here from the Catalina 34 International Organization.

                            And more info here

                            What to do? What maker for a bronze shaft? Are all enough safe?...difficult decision.

                            Regards,

                            Enrique Morcillo
                            CN35 #194 Defiance

                            E. Morcillo wrote:

                            > Hi all:
                            >
                            > I am thinking on install a Deep Sea Seal on our Nic 35 (#194 with a
                            > V-Drive, and a broze shaft).
                            >
                            > Anybody have experienced it? Any advice?. We are looking for get a
                            > absolute dry engine bildge.
                            >
                            > Best regards,
                            >
                            > Enrique Morcillo
                            > #194 Defiance

                            > Spam
                            <http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=s&i=165443975&m=9f83aedd5701>
                            > Not spam

                            <http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=n&i=165443975&m=9f83aedd5701>
                            > Forget previous vote

                            <http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=f&i=165443975&m=9f83aedd5701>
                            17:31:00

                            <*> Your email settings:
                            Individual Email | Traditional

                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                            <*> To change settings via email:
                            mailto:campernicholson-digest@yahoogroups.com
                            mailto:campernicholson-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • Graham Horne
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 3, 2009
                              The web page contains a lot of detail (and pictures) on some of the
                              difficult parts to remove and then the installation of the new PSS
                              seal. Thanks for taking the time to reply with that information. "A
                              picture says a thousand words."

                              Regards
                              Graham

                              --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "David Love" <davidlov@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Graham,
                              >

                              > I have a Nic 345, made here in Brazil. It has a 2" flange – I guess
                              you are
                              > referring to the OD of the tube where the shaft passes out through
                              the hull?
                              > Obviously best to check with a NIC 35 in the UK.
                              >

                              > Here is a good link with photos and procedures for installation:
                              > http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/pss_shaft_seal
                              >

                              > When I installed mine the o-rings were very tight around the shaft when
                              > slipping the ring down. I had to wet-and-dry with fine emery cloth
                              to get it
                              > on. And used lots of detergent as lubricant.
                              >
                              > The other thing was to get the right amount of pressure between the two
                              > sealing surfaces. The bellow should be reasonably collapsed. The
                              > instructions refer to about 1" down past the initial set-up to get the
                              > correct bellows pressure. I increased this a bit.
                              >

                              > Cheers, David

                            • Tom Cos
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 3, 2009

                                Graham,

                                If this helps the log size on Dream is 2 1/4".

                                I've have had one PSS fail within a year of being installed. The mating surfaces stuck together when I put the motor in reverse which rotated the entire forward portion of the PSS around the shaft. The end of the boot attached to the log did not rotate which made the PSS quite stretched and distorted. When I then put the motor into forward gear the PSS rotated part way back to normal when it wedged and pinched the cooling hose between the PSS and the bottom of the transmission. This is how I found it and hour out of port when I noticed water in the engine sump. I immediately return to port and hauled the boat. I think the cooling hose stopped it from rating further and breaking the bellows. The yard and PSS said they never seen such a thing happen. I did end up putting a new replacement unit in but my feelings are uneasy about its ability to hold up. I have a new transmission to put in the boat next winter when I haul out and at that time I will be putting the bronze stuffing box back in. I have found that I need to burp (pull the mating surfaces apart) the PSS before each use to make sure they are not stuck which of course lets water into the sump. I think I like the drip of the stuffing box better then burping the PSS.......There have been many who have used the PSS with good results though.

                                good luck and best regards,

                                Tom
                                CN35-199 Dream

                                .

                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 4, 2009
                                  PSS seals are a pain in the posterior - it really doesn't take much to
                                  contaminate the sealing surfaces, usually leading to pitting of the
                                  stainless rotor, wear in the graphite ring and eventually slow leaks.
                                  It is however quite unusual to completely rip one apart underway.

                                  The Strong Shaft Seal (Tides Marine) is far less prone to leaking, but
                                  I've seen them melt and destroy themselves underway due to clogged water
                                  injection lines. Usually this malady only affects larger motor vessels
                                  with high speed shafts; I've yet to see one do it on a sail boat, and
                                  personally have one on my Stevens 47.

                                  Bronze stuffing boxes are actually making a comeback, mainly due to the
                                  higher-tech packing materials now available. Last year my yard ripped
                                  out the dripless units from a 55' Flemming trawler and replaced them
                                  with Buck Algonquin bronze stuffing boxes packed with the green goo from
                                  Western Pacific Trading. (West Marine# 362931). After some adjustment
                                  and wearing in, we found the stuff works pretty well. More importantly
                                  the yard owner was far more comfortable that his shaft seals weren't
                                  going to rip themselves apart and flood the engine room again!

                                  Graham

                                  Tom Cos wrote:

                                  > Graham,
                                  >
                                  > If this helps the log size on Dream is 2 1/4".
                                  >
                                  > I've have had one PSS fail within a year of being installed. The
                                  > mating surfaces stuck together when I put the motor in reverse which
                                  > rotated the entire forward portion of the PSS around the shaft. The
                                  > end of the boot attached to the log did not rotate which made the PSS
                                  > quite stretched and distorted. When I then put the motor into forward
                                  > gear the PSS rotated part way back to normal when it wedged and
                                  > pinched the cooling hose between the PSS and the bottom of the
                                  > transmission. This is how I found it and hour out of port when I
                                  > noticed water in the engine sump. I immediately return to port and
                                  > hauled the boat. I think the cooling hose stopped it from rating
                                  > further and breaking the bellows. The yard and PSS said they never
                                  > seen such a thing happen. I did end up putting a new replacement unit
                                  > in but my feelings are uneasy about its ability to hold up. I have a
                                  > new transmission to put in the boat next winter when I haul out and at
                                  > that time I will be putting the bronze stuffing box back in. I have
                                  > found that I need to burp (pull the mating surfaces apart) the PSS
                                  > before each use to make sure they are not stuck which of course lets
                                  > water into the sump. I think I like the drip of the stuffing box
                                  > better then burping the PSS.......There have been many who have used
                                  > the PSS with good results though.
                                  >

                                  > good luck and best regards,
                                  >
                                  > Tom
                                  > CN35-199 Dream
                                  >
                                  > On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Graham Horne
                                  > <graham.horne@... <mailto:graham.horne@...>> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > Just a quick question. I bought a new PSS seal at the London boat
                                  > show last month. The Nic 35 shaft as I understand it is 1 3/8"
                                  > (imperial), but what size is the flange over which the new boot goes
                                  > (or the size of the boot). I guessed to be honest at 2", is that
                                  > right? My boat is in Turkey so it is a little difficult to measure.
                                  > I will be out there next month. Aquafax will exchange if I have it
                                  > wrong.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks
                                  > Graham
                                  >
                                  > .

                                  > Spam <http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=s&i=165691171&m=8c9833be29cb>
                                  > Not spam
                                  > <http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=n&i=165691171&m=8c9833be29cb>
                                  > Forget previous vote
                                  > <http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=f&i=165691171&m=8c9833be29cb>

                                • O. R. Armstrong
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 5, 2009
                                    FWIW: Dripless is certainly attractive, but it is accomplished by water pressure inside the hull expanding a flexible bellows. Since the bellows must be very flexible for the system to work, it cannot be made out of a thick, reinforced hose. So a little springy piece of hose is all there is between my boat and Mr. Jones' Locker? I opted for the Buck Algonquin stuffing box (a beautiful piece of equipment, if you're into plumbing) and a substantial piece of black hose, knowing that if I spring a leak out there, somewhere far from help, I can probably fix it.

                                    Russ

                                    p.s. On the recommendation of my yard, I used conventional flax packing coated with Tef-Gel.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 5, 2009
                                      Its not the water pressure on the bellows that keeps the pressure, but
                                      the springiness of the bellows themselves. They typically have to be
                                      replaced every 3-4 years.

                                      Graham

                                      O. R. Armstrong wrote:

                                      > FWIW: Dripless is certainly attractive, but it is accomplished by
                                      > water pressure *inside* the hull expanding a flexible bellows. Since
                                      > the bellows must be very flexible for the system to work, it cannot be
                                      > made out of a thick, reinforced hose. So a little springy piece of
                                      > hose is all there is between my boat and Mr. Jones' Locker? I opted
                                      > for the Buck Algonquin stuffing box (a beautiful piece of equipment,
                                      > if you're into plumbing) and a substantial piece of black hose,
                                      > knowing that if I spring a leak out there, somewhere far from help, I
                                      > can probably fix it.
                                      >
                                      > Russ
                                      >
                                      > p.s. On the recommendation of my yard, I used conventional flax
                                      > packing coated with Tef-Gel.

                                    • JOHN LARSON
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 5, 2009
                                        Do any of you CN 35 owners have the original stuffing box?  We do and it seems to be very efficient.  I've had to replace the hose between the hull and the plastic fitting, but nothing else.  The hose was easy to find.  I bought a full piece and cut it to length.  So far in 16 years I've replaced it twice.  It's an easy job with a hydraulic drive.

                                        John

                                        s/v Passport, CN 35 #85
                                      • O. R. Armstrong
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 5, 2009
                                          Graham,

                                            I stand corrected. Nevertheless, that bellows is made out of lighter, more flexible stuff than the heavy, below-the-waterline rated stuff used with a conventional stuffing box. True?

                                            Russ

                                          O. R. Armstrong wrote:

                                          > FWIW: Dripless is certainly attractive, but it is accomplished by
                                          > water pressure *inside* the hull expanding a flexible bellows. Since
                                          > the bellows must be very flexible for the system to work, it cannot be
                                          > made out of a thick, reinforced hose. So a little springy piece of
                                          > hose is all there is between my boat and Mr. Jones' Locker? I opted
                                          > for the Buck Algonquin stuffing box (a beautiful piece of equipment,
                                          > if you're into plumbing) and a substantial piece of black hose,
                                          > knowing that if I spring a leak out there, somewhere far from help, I
                                          > can probably fix it.
                                          >
                                          > Russ
                                          >
                                          > p.s. On the recommendation of my yard, I used conventional flax
                                          > packing coated with Tef-Gel.

                                        • Denece Vincent
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 5, 2009
                                            Here! Here! for the bronze box!  We used Gore black stuffing material about  8-10 years ago and have barely a drip underway, none at rest.  Still performing as when new.  Not much holds up so well!

                                            Sent: 2/5/2009 1:55:36 PM
                                            Subject: Re: [campernicholson] Re: Deep Sea Seal

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Feb 6, 2009
                                              Its certainly not wire reinforced like most conventional "underwater"
                                              hoses, but at the end of the day its a tradeoff between dry bilges vs
                                              overall robustness. As long as the vessel is maintained properly,
                                              neither style stuffing box should be a problem.

                                              Graham

                                              O. R. Armstrong wrote:

                                              > Graham,
                                              >
                                              > I stand corrected. Nevertheless, that bellows is made out of
                                              > lighter, more flexible stuff than the heavy, below-the-waterline rated
                                              > stuff used with a conventional stuffing box. True?
                                              >
                                              > Russ
                                              >
                                              > On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Graham Norbury <gnorbury@...
                                              > <mailto:gnorbury@...>> wrote:
                                              >
                                              > Its not the water pressure on the bellows that keeps the pressure,
                                              > but
                                              > the springiness of the bellows themselves. They typically have to be
                                              > replaced every 3-4 years.
                                              >
                                              > Graham
                                              >

                                              > O. R. Armstrong wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > FWIW: Dripless is certainly attractive, but it is accomplished by
                                              > > water pressure *inside* the hull expanding a flexible bellows.
                                              > Since
                                              > > the bellows must be very flexible for the system to work, it
                                              > cannot be
                                              > > made out of a thick, reinforced hose. So a little springy piece of
                                              > > hose is all there is between my boat and Mr. Jones' Locker? I opted
                                              > > for the Buck Algonquin stuffing box (a beautiful piece of
                                              > equipment,
                                              > > if you're into plumbing) and a substantial piece of black hose,
                                              > > knowing that if I spring a leak out there, somewhere far from
                                              > help, I
                                              > > can probably fix it.
                                              > >
                                              > > Russ
                                              > >
                                              > > p.s. On the recommendation of my yard, I used conventional flax
                                              > > packing coated with Tef-Gel.

                                              > Spam <http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=s&i=165901976&m=9f67ed59757a>
                                              > Not spam
                                              > <http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=n&i=165901976&m=9f67ed59757a>
                                              > Forget previous vote
                                              > <http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=f&i=165901976&m=9f67ed59757a>

                                            • MICHAEL FORSDYKE
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 6, 2009
                                                Hello John

                                                Yes, Blue Days (35/209) has the original stuffing box on a flexible hose and it has worked perfectly for 25 years. With the V-drive replacement of the hose is not exactly easy but not too difficult. I think Lloyds specified replacement of the hose every two years but that is probably excessive. However, failure would be a bit catastrophic!

                                                Regards,

                                                Michael Forsdyke

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Feb 9, 2009
                                                  Hi Michael

                                                  We replace our hose on the stuffing box when it starts feeling a little to soft.  Not a very scientific approach, but we haven't had a failure yet.

                                                  I can imagine that the v-drive makes it a bit of a challenge.  It's pretty wide open on the hydralic models.  The tradeoff is that you probably can back in something approaching a straight line.  With Passport the best we can so is a small clockwise circle.  Sometimes that can be handy, but all in all, I would rather be able to control where I go in reverse.

                                                  John Larson