Nic 35

  • Jim Hiller
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 2, 2009
      Did Ray Wall design the 35 and 31 ?
      Anyone know if the 35 molds are still around ? I know the 31 molds were destroyed but the
      46 molds were sold off and and a few hulls lingered on for a couple of years.
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 2, 2009
        The molds for the 35 lay in the mud near Gosport. Part of the treason for
        the demise of the 35 was the need (and thus expense) of new molds as the
        existing ones were worn out.
        Dennis
        > Anyone know if the 35 molds are still around ? I know the 31 molds were
        > destroyed but the
        > 46 molds were sold off and and a few hulls lingered on for a couple of
        > years.
        > Jim

      • Jeffrey Moorman
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 2, 2009

          Dennis, interesting "slip" there with "treason" ...

           Good stuff!  Happy New year all Nic folks!
          Jeff
          "LaBoheme" Nic 35 #39
          Annapolis

          > Anyone know if the 35 molds are still around ? I know the 31 molds were
          > destroyed but the
          > 46 molds were sold off and and a few hulls lingered on for a couple of
          > years.
          > Jim

        • gilespie174
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 4, 2009
            Ooh good, a chance to name drop !

            I was chewing the fat with Jezza, Mr Jeremy Lines to the mortals, and
            he happened to mentioned that he witnesses the ceremonial burying of
            the moulds in a quarry ... but i cant remember where !

            Too late for exumation ?

            Giles, Andrea Lorelei 35/174

            PS Ok i confess, i am not on first name terms with JL!

            --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Moorman" <jeff@...>
            wrote:

            > Dennis, interesting "slip" there with "treason" ... Good stuff! Happy
            > New year all Nic folks!
            > Jeff"LaBoheme" Nic 35 #39Annapolis

          • Jim Hiller
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 4, 2009
              What a shame....How nice it would be to have the ability to purchase
              a new Nic 35 or Nic 31
              I have a new Contessa 32 and it is beautiful for sure but how nice a
              few more thousand lbs of displacement and more cubes of volume would
              be in a boat that was as beautiful and good sailing !
              Ray Wall is currently living in British Columbia and is retired. A
              few of the folks in the CS forums stay in touch with him.Jim

              --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "gilespie174" <giles.pie@...>
              wrote:

              > Ooh good, a chance to name drop !
              >
              > I was chewing the fat with Jezza, Mr Jeremy Lines to the mortals,
              and
              > he happened to mentioned that he witnesses the ceremonial burying of
              > the moulds in a quarry ... but i cant remember where !
              >
              > Too late for exumation ?
              >
              > Giles, Andrea Lorelei 35/174
              >
              > PS Ok i confess, i am not on first name terms with JL!
              >

              > --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Moorman" <jeff@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Dennis, interesting "slip" there with "treason" ... Good stuff!
              Happy
              > > New year all Nic folks!
              > > Jeff"LaBoheme" Nic 35 #39Annapolis

            • Mickie Taylor
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 6 6:18 AM
                I have just bought a Nicholson 35 it is Bluedays a 1983 boat from Dover and I sailed it up to Scotland alone on the way it shredded 5 fan belts. But my main problem at the moment is water is leaking from just in front of the gearbox very badly has anyone had this problem can I lift the boat out of the water and replace the stern gland or cutlass bearing at the prop end or will the engine have to be lifted out to get at the gear box end stern gland I don't know how this system works as I have had snuffing boxes on passed boats. has any one a drawing of the arrangement? My other problem is the engine starts but dies immediately the fuel filters are clean but the filter is only half full of diesel so I suspect the fuel pump, Is the Injector pump the fuel pump also. and may be this points to the belt shredding if the engine is starved of fuel? Thank you for any help given Gordon
              • Thomas J. Stanton
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 6 3:11 PM

                  Mickie,

                  It is probably your packing gland.  It is V drive so the packing gland is under or slightly forward of the transmission. It is probably not necessary to replace the stern gland.  It should have a plate with two bolts holding the packing in place.  The bolts and that housing into which they screw are bronze and even if somewhat corroded should free with a little penetrating oil.  If you tighten them, the packing should tighten against the shaft and the leaking will stop.  If the bolts are all the way down the packing is down and should be replaced, because of the clearances a small handled socket wrench works best and the engine should be shut down.  It is best to do it on dry land, but it is possible to remove the plate (making sure the existing packing is not coming free with the plate) and add new packing on the top and replace the plate and then when you then screw down  temporarily you can shut down the flow, but there defintely is a risk of the flow increasing while you add packing, but it has never been a problem for me.

                  Long ocean passages under motor (like we have in the summer in the U.S.), will always wear down the packing and the packing gland must be tightened (probably every 400-500 miles) on every every boat, so it is good to get familiar with yours.  Packing glands are very old tech but although they may leak, they rarely fail.

                  The fuel pump is a lift pump bringing the fuel out of the tank and delivering it to the injector pump which sprays the fuel under pressure into the cylinders. If the fuel is being drawn out of the filter and not being replaced there may be an air leak in the fuel lines to that filter, letting air enter, but if the fuel pump is working correctly
                  the line should be pressurized and fuel should be in the filter with some leaking out of the area of the leak.  The fuel pump could be failing, or in the alternative, if the boat has been setting a long time there may be gunk in the mouth of  intake line in the fuel tank making it difficult for the pump to pull up fuel. You could blow this out with some reverse air pressure in the line, but you may ultimately have to have the fuel in the tank scrubbed.Gunk accumulates over time if the boat has been sitting, and when you take her to sea the agitation knocks all that gunk loose and it begins to float in the fuel and plug your filters.

                  Which belts are being shreded?  Sounds like they are out of alignment, either at the sea water pump or the alternator.

                  Tom Stanton
                  C/N 40ac Discovery
                  Annapolis

[...]

                • taylormickie1934
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 8 7:28 AM
                    --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas J. Stanton" <tstanton@...> wrote:

                    > Mickie,
                    >
                    > It is probably your packing gland. It is V drive so the packing gland is under or slightly forward of the transmission. It is probably not necessary to replace the stern gland. It should have a plate with two bolts holding the packing in place. The bolts and that housing into which they screw are bronze and even if somewhat corroded should free with a little penetrating oil. If you tighten them, the packing should tighten against the shaft and the leaking will stop. If the bolts are all the way down the packing is down and should be replaced, because of the clearances a small handled socket wrench works best and the engine should be shut down. It is best to do it on dry land, but it is possible to remove the plate (making sure the existing packing is not coming free with the plate) and add new packing on the top and replace the plate and then when you then screw down temporarily you can shut down the flow, but there defintely is a risk of the flow increasing while you add packing, but it has never been a problem for me.
                    >
                    > Long ocean passages under motor (like we have in the summer in the U.S.), will always wear down the packing and the packing gland must be tightened (probably every 400-500 miles) on every every boat, so it is good to get familiar with yours. Packing glands are very old tech but although they may leak, they rarely fail.
                    >
                    > The fuel pump is a lift pump bringing the fuel out of the tank and delivering it to the injector pump which sprays the fuel under pressure into the cylinders. If the fuel is being drawn out of the filter and not being replaced there may be an air leak in the fuel lines to that filter, letting air enter, but if the fuel pump is working correctly
                    > the line should be pressurized and fuel should be in the filter with some leaking out of the area of the leak. The fuel pump could be failing, or in the alternative, if the boat has been setting a long time there may be gunk in the mouth of intake line in the fuel tank making it difficult for the pump to pull up fuel. You could blow this out with some reverse air pressure in the line, but you may ultimately have to have the fuel in the tank scrubbed.Gunk accumulates over time if the boat has been sitting, and when you take her to sea the agitation knocks all that gunk loose and it begins to float in the fuel and plug your filters.
                    >
                    > Which belts are being shreded? Sounds like they are out of alignment, either at the sea water pump or the alternator.
                    >
                    > Tom Stanton
                    > C/N 40ac Discovery
                    > Annapolis

                    Thank you Tom, that sounds spot on with the water leak. But can not find a fuel pump? the line comes out of the tank to a glass fillter then into the fuel filter next to it then strait down to the injector pump, I can only assume the injector pump draws fuel from the tank or the fuel pump is inside the tank.Thanks once again for the water leak problem Kind Regards Gordon
                  • Peter Jørgensen
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 11, 2011
                      Hi all....

                      We are thinking of buying an other more spacy boat and are therefore interested in knowing what will be a ideal price for our Nic 35 (Addiena)
                      There is a guy in our local habour who is wery interested in buing her, but what is a fair price (for me) She is in a wery exelent condition. Brand new engine and a lot of other newer instalations.

                      Peter
                    • JOHN LARSON
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 12, 2011
                        Hi Peter

                        Without knowing the year of your boat, it's hard to give a recommendation.  Our 1973 with the original Perkins engine was valued by the surveyor at around $55,000.  Hope this helps.

                        John
                        s/v Passport
                        CN 35-85

                        To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 12, 2011
                          Peter,
                          If you get a ballpark figure let me know, please.  We will be listing Blue Pearl later this Fall and hope to get a fair price for her. It is not fun to see her stuck at the dock so much when she is such a fabulous ocean boat.

                          Denece
                        • Nic Vine
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 12, 2011
                            Hi Peter

                            We are on this group because we are planning to buy a Nic 35, we just have to sell our Jaguar 25 first - we are in the UK.

                            We have been tracking the Nic 35s for sale - there have been quite a lot.  The prices are very different, depending on the age and state of the boat, in particular the hull, the engine & gearbox, and the rigging.  We have seen prices from £25,000 (total project) to £50,000 (immaculate).

                            As someone else said, it all depends on a lot of details in the specification.

                            Hope that helps.  If your local guy does not buy her, then please send us the details.

                            rgds/Nic & Lesley

                            Hi all....

                            We are thinking of buying an other more spacy boat and are therefore interested in knowing what will be a ideal price for our Nic 35 (Addiena)
                            There is a guy in our local habour who is wery interested in buing her, but what is a fair price (for me) She is in a wery exelent condition. Brand new engine and a lot of other newer instalations.

                            Peter
                          • taylormickie1947
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 12, 2011
                              In the UK 1970s boats sell roughly depending on the inventory and condition from £42000 to £49000 I have a MK5 which is a 1983 with tall mast and superb inventory that can be seen at http://www.davidcookyachts.com/ with Photos and price it may help with it being a late model to give you an Idea Regards Gordon
                            • Peter Jørgensen
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 12, 2011
                                Hi again

                                I can see that the price I actually had in mind (58000£) is perhaps too much.
                                Addiena had new West system epoxy treatment last vinter along with a Yanmar 3JH4 39HP engine with a SD50 saildrive.
                                Osmosis treatment on the wathertank as well. New teak in the cockpit this year covered by the new tent from last year;) winking
                                The boat has hullnumber 187 an was build in 1979 and is in a exseptionel good condition with a Fog-blue hull and white top.
                                Down below it´s the same.... good condition all over
                                But I can see that we probably wont get the price we´re asking so we will probably sail Addiena many years to come.
                                We had a Dufour 365 in mind. Nice boat, spacy but not the same "smell" off real boat:&quot;> blushing.

                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 14, 2011
                                  Dear Gordon,

                                  If I have the right boat, then I note you have not owned Blue Days for very long. I spotted that you had an engine failure last year and hope that is not reason to put you off.

                                  Perhaps I am going to be controvertial, but I could create a very strong arguement to suggest that £55,000 for Blue Days is not enough money. After all, from the pictures I can see she is in excellent condition and well speced, from sails, through hull and generally very tidy condition downstairs.
                                  I would take the point that there are of course some examples of this like any mark which have not been looked after and the investment required to bring them up to condition would be reasonable.....however I know from the owners I have met that there are many of our boats in great shape.
                                  Should we not be asking the question, what else can you buy on the second hand market that will do this type of a job, sail beautifully and go anywhere in the world?

                                  In the UK for example, the only comparable boat still in production is the Rustler 36, which retails at anything north of £225,000, so why are we not asking £70,000 for a lovely boat such as Blue Days and other similar examples?

                                  Regards
                                  Simon
                                  Blue Nava 35/177
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 14, 2011

                                    I agree with you Simon.  Of course, a boat is ultimately only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.  However, your comparison with the Rustler 36 is valid.  They are still in build but cost a fortune and, in some respects are an inferior boat (my turn to whip up controversy) J.

                                    There is, of course, a huge variation in condition/spec for the various Nic 35s that are on the market which has an obvious effect on final re-sale values but I would agree that around the £70k mark for a good Nic 35 in clean and tidy condition with a good inventory does not seem unreasonable.

                                    Campers quite literally ‘broke the mould’ in the early 90s.  As a result, you cannot go and order another Nic 35 new.  That isn’t the case with the Contessa 32 and yet resale values of second hand boats hold up very well by comparison.

                                    Colin

                                    Trutz 35/225

                                    “All boats are for sale…..except Trutz”

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 14, 2011

                                      I agree Simon!
                                      Jeff
                                      LaBoheme
                                      Nic 35 #39

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 14, 2011
                                        Hi All, It was the fan belt that shredded not the engine breaking down I bought the boat for a last fling as I am 77 and to realize my ambition to own one, and was going to take her down to the med, But common sense has prevailed along with other personal problems so she is for sale The best boat I have ever had, I just wish I had one when I was Younger. Kind Regards Gordon
                                      • dave Brewer
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 17, 2011
                                          Dear All,
                                          Our Nic 35 #100 is for sale for £36,950.00, we have had five people look her over and no feedback !!
                                          Perhaps we are not asking enough money as Silverfjord is in really good condition for her age  -  it's all very well asking high prices but if people haven't got the money then as someone said the yacht is only worth what someone will pay for it !!!
                                          Because she is such a lovely boat she does attract a lot of dreamers.

                                          Dave
                                          Silverfjord Nic 35 #100

                                          > If I have the right boat, then I note you have not owned Blue Days for very long. I spotted that you had an engine failure last year and hope that is not reason to put you off.
                                          >
                                          > Perhaps I am going to be controvertial, but I could create a very strong arguement to suggest that £55,000 for Blue Days is not enough money. After all, from the pictures I can see she is in excellent condition and well speced, from sails, through hull and generally very tidy condition downstairs.
                                          > I would take the point that there are of course some examples of this like any mark which have not been looked after and the investment required to bring them up to condition would be reasonable.....however I know from the owners I have met that there are many of our boats in great shape.
                                          > Should we not be asking the question, what else can you buy on the second hand market that will do this type of a job, sail beautifully and go anywhere in the world?
                                          >
                                          > In the UK for example, the only comparable boat still in production is the Rustler 36, which retails at anything north of £225,000, so why are we not asking £70,000 for a lovely boat such as Blue Days and other similar examples?
                                          >
                                          > Regards
                                          > Simon
                                          > Blue Nava 35/177

                                        • Stephen Elphick
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Sep 18, 2011
                                            Dear Dave,

                                            Could you let me know where your boat is advertised?

                                            Thanks

                                            Steve Elphick

                                          • francis.howard@btinternet.com
                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 30

                                              Hi all,

                                              I am looking to fit a removable inner forestay on Vogel Gryff next winter and am interested to hear about others who have done it.

                                              Where on the deck did you bring it down to? And did you strengthen up the deck or put a tie rod down to the stem. I was thinking of mounting an pad eye aft of the windlass pad.

                                              How far down from the masthead did you mount the top end and what sort of fitting did you fabricate to take the forestay and the halyard. I was thinking about 18" down.

                                              When not in use I was going to mount the stay on the frd lower shroud but will that chafe on the spreader?

                                              Any thoughts would be very welcome.

                                              With thanks,

                                              Frank.

                                            • JIM
                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 30
                                                Frank

                                                The previous owner installed a inner forestay on my boat.  The attachment point on the mast is at the approximate level of the spreaders.  On the deck, there is a pad eye just aft of the windlass bolted through the deck and backing plated.  The backing plate is further reinforced below deck with a short jack stay that extends from the plate through the forepeak platform to a 1/4 inch aluminum plate glassed on it's edge into the stem.

                                                The stay itself is in two pieces, a traditional stay plus a short removable piece of maybe 2 feet that contains a rigging screw with two handles that flip up from the screw so that it can be tightened/adjusted without tools.   Here's a link to one that is similar http://www.fisheriessupply.com/johnson-marine-handy-lock-backstay-and-inner-forestay-turnbuckles

                                                This set up makes the main part of the stay short enough to be stored along the front of the mast when not in use.  It takes just a couple of minutes to attach the rigging screw piece and to tension it.

                                                Jim
                                                S/V Alegria
                                                CN 35 #68

                                                To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com

                                                Message 23 of 27 , May 30

                                                  Frank,

                                                  The 35 was designed to have a removable Solent Stay (wire halyard) taken up on a pad eye near the anchor windlass.  It's a flexible solution and doesn't encumber you with a full fledged inner forestay and runners.

                                                  I believe a good search of the archives will turn up prior discussion.

                                                  Graham

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jun 1
                                                    Thanks jim and graham, i was thinking of going up to the masthead so i didn't need runners, i like the idea of a solent stay so thats very useful