RE: [campernicholson] Hurth V-drive reduction ratio

  • Colin Campbell-Dunlop
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 10, 2008

      Hi there,

      We have the Perkins 4-108 with the Hurth 150 V drive.

      I put a new prop on there and we did the calculations on the basis of a 2.1-1 reduction and it seems to work fine.

      I am on the boat this weekend so will have a look to see if there are any serial numbers or plates that might give a more accurate picture of what we have.

      Rgds

      Colin

      From: bluepearl@jps. net
      Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:25:23 -0800

      Ours is 2.13:1 in forward. If there is no plate how are you sure its a hurth 150?  Our original tranny was a Hurth 15V. I don't remember any cast ID on the thing, but then we are not aboard right now so...

      Sent: 12/9/2008 11:25:38 AM

      Hi Denece,

      I guess our plate is missing - I've searched all over. I also guess the serial number is on the plate, right? Do you happen to know what your ratios are?

      Thanks,

      Simon

      To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com
      From: bluepearl@jps. net
      Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 11:03:19 -0800

      Our 150V has a plate with the ratios on it. One is forward and the other reverse.  Hurth should be able to tell you based on serial # if the ratios are not posted.

      Sent: 12/9/2008 10:35:32 AM

      Does anyone know the reduction ratio of the Hurth V-drive fitted to the Nic 35's? I've looked on the internet at the specs of the Hurth 150V and I see 2 possible ratios, 2.13:1 and 2.99:1? We are in the process of getting estimates for a new prop, so this is critical.

      I assume our V-drive was original with the boat in 1982, although she was re-engined from the VW Piranha to a new Perkins 4-108 in 1990. I've carefully examined the gearbox and can't find any markings.

      The only other solution I can think of is to put the engine in gear, turn the flywheel through one revolution and see how far the prop shaft turns. Any other suggestions?

      BTW, the first feedback I've received from the prop companies is that our current 2-blade MaxProp just doesn't have the blade area to deliver the engine's power. We're being offered 3-blade and even 4-blade props for our engine and gearbox setup. This makes sense - our MaxPr! op is 19" diam x 19" pitch (28 degrees blade angle) - but still feels like a milkshake blender and of course gives tremendous prop walk in astern (great for spinning the boat in it's own length though!) I'll let you know where we come out.

      Thanks for your help.

      Simon
      Gin Rummy, CN35-202

      Great search results, great prizes. BigSnapSearch. com Search now

      Win John Lewis vouchers with BigSnapSearch. com Search now

      Take your friends with you with Mobile Messenger. Click Here!

    • Katie and Simon
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 10, 2008
        Hi Colin,

        Thanks for the info. Sounds like we have the same setup so I'm interested to see what you find on the gearbox...

        What size prop did you end up with?

        Simon

        To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com

        From: bluepearl@jps. net
        Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:25:23 -0800

        From: bluepearl@jps. net
        Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 11:03:19 -0800

        Sent: 12/9/2008 10:35:32 AM

[...]

        Get Windows Live Messenger on your Mobile. Click Here!
      • Katie and Simon
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 10, 2008
          Thanks Tom, that's very interesting. I'm not sure whether our gearbox was changed when the boat was re-engined in 1990, so there is definitely an element of doubt creeping in. It may be that the only way to really nail this is to try and turn the engine by hand with the gearbox engaged and see how much the shaft turns. If it's possible - I've never tried.

          Simon

          To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
          From: tstanton@...
          Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 19:21:53 -0500

          Dear Kate and Simon:

          We have a CN-40ac still equipped with Pirrana engine.  The prop size became a problem due to a change from original ratio 2.99:1 to the 2:13:1 when the transmission was replaced by prior owner.  At the 2:13 ratio the engine would only drive the prop at a max of 2100 rpm.
          To obtain the higher rpms to 3000 of the VW engine, I had to use a smaller prop, which works fine in most conditions but reduces the engine power in a bad sea.

          I have a CN manual for the 40ac and it shows the correct ration to be
          3:1

          Tom Stanton
          Discovery  CN40ac

          To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com
          From: bluepearl@jps. net
          Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 11:03:19 -0800

          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 10, 2008

            Hi,

            We went for a three bladed Autoprop which has been great.  Just looking at the invoice it is an H5 and the diameter is 442mm.

            I really like the Autoprop.  We get great sailing performance with it ‘feathered’ and the performance under motor is better than our old fixed 2 blader.  We get a useful amount of prop walk to Port and she stops pretty well too.  The only downside (and one which the manufacturers are going to sort FOC this winter, is that the bearings are a bit ‘notchy’.  They are going to retrofit bearing races as opposed to loose bearings in accordance with their new design.

            Hope this helps.

            To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com

            From: bluepearl@jps. net
            Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:25:23 -0800

            From: bluepearl@jps. net
            Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 11:03:19 -0800

            Sent: 12/9/2008 10:35:32 AM

[...]

          • jose pacheco zuloaga
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 10, 2008
              Hello, with the autoprop at $4000+.  the original two bladed looks extreemly good. LOL.

              To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com

              To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com

              From: bluepearl@jps. net
              Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:25:23 -0800

              From: bluepearl@jps. net
              Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 11:03:19 -0800

              Sent: 12/9/2008 10:35:32 AM

[...]

              Windows Live Hotmail now works up to 70% faster. Sign up today.
            • Katie and Simon
              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 10, 2008
                Hi Colin,

                That's helpful. I have already contacted Bruntons for a recommendation and a quote, and also asked them if the reduction ratio issue makes a big difference. I suspect (hope) that the Autoprop is able to optimise itself for either ratio. I'll let you know what they come up with (when I've recovered from hearing the price!!)

                Simon

                To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com

                To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com

                From: bluepearl@jps. net
                Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:25:23 -0800

                From: bluepearl@jps. net
                Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 11:03:19 -0800

                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 10, 2008

                  Hi Simon,

                  The price will cause a sharp intake of breath but it is a great bit of kit.  Bruntons told me to expect around half a knot increase on average speed when sailing.  In all honesty, I think it is a bit more than that.

                  The prop is designed to be efficient at pretty much any engine speed (unlike a fixed prop which is optimized for the engine rating) so it should iron out any slight issue with reduction ratio.  I am sure they will advise you well.

                  Good luck

                  To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com

                  To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com

                  From: bluepearl@jps. net
                  Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:25:23 -0800

                  From: bluepearl@jps. net
                  Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 11:03:19 -0800

                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 10, 2008
                    Simon,

                    Dream has the VW engine and the Hurth V Drive with a 2.99 ratio.

                    The model number on it is HBW-150-3.0-RV (the currently available
                    "ZF-MIV-15" would be a direct replacement)

                    Hope this helps & Merry Christmas

                    Tom
                    SV Dream, CN35-199
                  • Katie and Simon
                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 10, 2008
                      Thanks Tom, this is great info. The MaxProp guys have just told me that they would have recommended a 19"x19" 2-blade prop (i.e. what I have) for the 2.99 ratio. For a 2.13 ratio they would have recommended an 18"x13" 2-blade. So it looks as though I do have the 2.99 ratio like you (unless of course the previous owner got it wrong!)

                      Mind you, the price they are quoting for a 19" 3-blade is $3,710 (or $4,850 for the VP version). That's definitely going to make me think twice!

                      Thanks again for the data.

                      Merry Xmas to you too.

                      Simon
                      Gin Rummy, CN35-202

                      To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                      From: tom1us2001a@...
                      Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:20:06 +0000
                      Subject: [campernicholson] Re: Hurth V-drive reduction ratio

                      Simon,

                      Dream has the VW engine and the Hurth V Drive with a 2.99 ratio.

                      The model number on it is HBW-150-3.0- RV (the currently available
                      "ZF-MIV-15" would be a direct replacement)

                      Hope this helps & Merry Christmas

                      Tom
                      SV Dream, CN35-199

                      Read amazing stories to your kids on Messenger. Try it Now!
                    • MICHAEL FORSDYKE
                      Message 10 of 29 , Dec 10, 2008
                        Hello Simon

                        I think I can give you definitive information about the original gearbox installation; if yours has been changed it may not be applicable however. My boat, Blue Days, is CN 35-209, built for me in 1983 and still fitted with the original engine and gearbox installation, so it is very probable that your installation was the same as mine. The ID plate on the top of my gearbox shows that the model number is HBW 150-3,0RV. I also have the contemporary Hurth manual and this states that the reduction ratios for that model are 2.99 forward and 2.22 reverse. I have inserted a photograph showing the ID platel and its location and a copy of the relevant page from the Hurth manual.

                        The prop on Blue Days is a two-blade, marked 19 x 14 RH. The whole setup works perfectly.

                        I hope this is helpful.

                        Regards,

                        Michael Forsdyke

                        Blue Days - CN 35-209

                        Message 11 of 29 , Dec 10, 2008
                          Simon & Michael,

                          Looks like Michael and I have the same transmission. Mine is also
                          original to the boat. Only difference I see from the photo is mine has
                          no reference to Paranha but instead has 'Petter 4' cast into the bell
                          housing. Also color in blue instead of orange.

                          Dream came with a 19"x13 pitch 2 blade right hand prop. I have replace
                          it with a 18" 3 blade feathering Autostream prop. I'll have to dig up
                          the paper work if you would like to know the pitch it was set to. If
                          my memory serves me I believe it was 14 forward and 12 reverse. With
                          an Autostream you can set a different pitch for forward & reverse. Let
                          me know if you would like the exact numbers and I'll find them,
                          although that paper may be on the boat which means it may be a couple
                          of week before I can get that for you. Its been about four or five
                          years now I've had the Autostream and it works well. By my
                          recollection it was about $2,400US.

                          Kind Regards,

                          Tom
                          Dream CN35-199
                        • Katie and Simon
                          Message 12 of 29 , Dec 11, 2008
                            Hi Michael,

                            This is really helpful. Thanks. Yes, I agree that this is probably the original setup for Gin Rummy too. The obvious thing that hits me in the face is that your gearbox is orange! Mine is silver (and doesn't look repainted)! I don't why the boat was re-engined in 1990, only 8 years from new, but it looks as though the whole drive train was replaced - engine, gearbox, shaft and prop, as well as the exhaust system, engine instrument panel and electrics. Must have been an insurance job!!

                            The evidence is pointing to my reduction ratio being 2.99:1, but I'm certainly not going to invest any serious money before I've physically checked by turning the engine and measuring the shaft rotation. In the meantime I'm on the lookout for a suitable used 3-blade fixed prop so that I can check out the difference between a 2-blade and a 3-blade for minimal $$.

                            I'm glad you're satisfied with your setup. I must say the current setup on Gin Rummy works quite adequately - it's just that with so much hp available from the engine it's a shame that we can't really deliver it as thrust when the going gets tough. I'm curious to find out what the engine's real potenial is. We'll see!

                            I don't have any recent engine pics, so I've attached one from 1998 on the day we bought the boat.

                            Thanks again for your help.

                            Message 13 of 29 , Dec 11, 2008
                              Thanks Tom. As I mentioned to Michael, I'm going to hold off buying anything expensive for now. If I eventually decide to go for an Autostream I'll remember to come back and ask you lots of questions!

                              Thanks to everyone else who's commented too. What a great group this is!

                              Simon
                              Gin Rummy, CN35-202

                              To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 29 , Dec 11, 2008
                                --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Katie and Simon
                                <katieandsimon@...> wrote:
                                > Does anyone know the reduction ratio of the Hurth V-drive fitted to
                                the Nic 35's?

                                Simon - Perhaps the best way of determining reduction ratio is to
                                measure it. This is easily done with a non-contact tachometer. They
                                are available on the web for about $30 (perhaps more in the UK). You
                                stick a small piece of tape of contrasting color on any object that
                                rotates, point the laser and read RPM's. Do that on the flywheel and
                                on the prop shaft, compute the quotient and you've got your ratio.
                                For highest confidence and precision, you might even repeat the
                                measurement at several different engine speeds and average the
                                results. All computed ratios should be very nearly identical.

                                Although not applicable to your installation, for boats with hydraulic
                                drive it is reasonable to repeat this measurement from time to time to
                                monitor "slip" as the pump or motor wear.

                                Best wishes,
                                Seth
                                Liberty, CN35 #21
                              • steve &Sue
                                Message 15 of 29 , Dec 11, 2008
                                  I have the old 2.9-1 F 2.2-1 R with a 2 bladed max prop and have some
                                  issues with it. As I understand it with this box the prop is turning
                                  nearly 30% faster in reverse than in forward. This is fine with a trad
                                  prop which is less efficient in reverse, but not so good with a Maxprop
                                  which is equally efficient in both directions. To pitch the prop for
                                  best forward drive is to way overpitch it for reverse. Hence large
                                  clunkon engaging and appalling propwalk. There is a new ZF where the
                                  F&R ratios are much the same and that would be my ideal scenario for
                                  the Maxprop. I am actually thinking of going back to my fixed 2 blade.
                                • Katie and Simon
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Dec 11, 2008
                                    Hi Steve,

                                    That's absolutely fascinating! I hadn't thought of the significance of the difference in ratios between F and R. So without changing the gearbox (!) the ideal solution is either a fixed prop (less efficient in reverse) or one of the feathering props which offers a lower pitch in reverse.

                                    Experimenting with a used 3-blade fixed prop for a few hundred bucks is definitely looking like a favourable option for me before making any big decisions!

                                    Simon

                                    To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Dec 11, 2008
                                      I also have the Maxi-prop and think there is a flaw in your logic. The
                                      higher ratio in reverse would be a problem if we were not able to vary the
                                      rpm. The greater rpm created by the ratio is offset by the lower rpm we
                                      tend to go in reverse.
                                      In forward, we are trying to get the best forward motion at the optimum rpm
                                      (3000 for the Piranha). We are not trying to achieve hull speed in reverse
                                      and tend to operate at much lower rpm. Our horrendous propwalk is a
                                      function of the hull shape and the position of the prop in relation to the
                                      rudder
                                      Dennis
                                      Dark Lady\CN35-207

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Dec 11, 2008
                                        Hi Seth,

                                        What a great little gadget. $25 from Amazon. I think I will get one... and I'll be able to check the calibration of my tacho (I've often wondered)... and of course I'll be able to check the tachos of all my neighbours in the marina... etc. Endless fun!

                                        Thanks for the tip.

                                        Simon

                                        To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                                        From: jseth@...
                                        Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 17:01:17 +0000

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Dec 12, 2008
                                          Logic or not the numbers are what they are.whether there is a
                                          percieved problem is another thing.Im pretty sure if I pitched my
                                          Maxprop for full Hull speed @ 3000rpm, she would stall whenever I put
                                          her in reverse or I would have to thrash the trans engine mts and
                                          coupling. Maybe its a problem with the trans or my small 3cyl perkins
                                          isnt up to it

                                          --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Gibbons

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Dec 12, 2008
                                            Check the engine and the transmission. I can idle astern (or more precisely
                                            walk to port at idle) without stalling or any horrible noises.
                                            Dennis
                                            I have the 35 hp Petter 4

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Dec 12, 2008
                                              Any engine that can't idle astern has serious issues!
                                              Graham

                                              Dennis Gibbons wrote:

                                              > Check the engine and the transmission. I can idle astern (or more
                                              > precisely
                                              > walk to port at idle) without stalling or any horrible noises.
                                              > Dennis
                                              > I have the 35 hp Petter 4

                                            • jose pacheco zuloaga
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Dec 12, 2008