Nic 31 fuel tank gasket

  • Benson Baker
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2008
      Hello all, I've been reading campernicholson group messages for awhile now and have learned a good bit about a lot of things.  Now I submit my first question to the group:

      The fuel tank on the Nic31 is of fiberglass and moulded as a part of the cockpit sole.  Over the tank, an alloy lid is attached and was originally sealed using a leather gasket.  I've had to open my fuel tank twice now and after the second time, the 30-yr old gasket gave out and could not be replaced.  I've looked for gasketing material large enough to use (approximately 24" x 28") as a replacement both here in the BVI (fat chance) and on line.  I've had no luck and was hoping someone else has had a previous experience with this and could lead me in the right direction.

      Thanks, will have more questions on other topics in the near future as I begin a pretty major refit of Restless.

      Regards,

      Benson

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2008
        Benson,
        I used a sheet of natural cork to replace my gasket 6 years ago and it has worked out fine
        Dennis
        Dark Lady

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2008
          Hi Benson, Ditto on Dennis' solution-but I also used a good coat of gasket sealant with good results.

          Jeff
          LaBoheme

        • gilespie174
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 5, 2008
            Hello there,

            I did replace mine with cork and was lucky that the local chandlery
            (fox's, east coast) had sheets that were large enough.

            I am assuming that it is a diesel tank and therefore a
            neoprene/synthetic rubber gasket might be approriate. If so Portmere
            Rubber, Southampton, or Martin's Ruber, also Southampton I think, have
            been very useful to me in the past and would certainly confirm
            suitability.

            Regards

            Giles

            --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Moorman" <jeff@...>