Re: [campernicholson] Re: Battery Capacity

  • Jeffrey Moorman
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 11, 2008
      Russ et al,

      I believe the result of connecting your 6v batteries in series leaves you with 105 ah hrs (the voltage is cumulative but the capacity remains the same). So your actual total capacity is 210 ah hrs.

      Jeff Moorman

      La Boheme

    • Jeffrey Moorman
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 11, 2008
        Gang,

        Here is a very informative page for these battery challenges http://www.gizmology.net/batteries.htm

        Jeff

      • O. R. Armstrong
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 11, 2008
          Gang,

            I agree with Jeff. I checked the Trojan website. My error was that a 6-volt Trojan T-105 battery has a 20-hour rating of 225 amp hours (I had confused the model number with the amp hour rating). Connecting a pair of T-105s in series effectively creates one 12-volt battery with the same 225 amp hour rating. Connecting a pair of such series-connected T-105s in parallel gives 450 amp hours and 12 volts.

            Russ

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 11, 2008
            Jeff,

            You are correct about batteries connected in series, however four golf-cart batteries does give you approximately 400AH capacity as each individual battery is rated close to 200AH.  On Luna Azul we used LifeLine batteries, so total capacity was closer to 440AH.  A nice advantage of AGM technology is that you don't need to devote extra space to acid containment trays.

            Graham

            Jeffrey Moorman wrote:

            Russ et al,

            I believe the result of connecting your 6v batteries in series leaves you with 105 ah hrs (the voltage is cumulative but the capacity remains the same). So your actual total capacity is 210 ah hrs.

            Jeff Moorman

            La Boheme

          • JOHN LARSON
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008
              On Passport, our Nic 35, we have five 100 amp hour batteries.  They are gel cels and for us that's important because of the way we cruise.  We're on the boat for a period of two or three months and then a long way away from the boat the rest of the year.  The gel cels can sit unattended for extended periods without loosing much charge. At one point we were gone for over a year, and the batteries had over 12 volts of charge when we returned.

              Two of the batteries are in the usual place under the pilot seat on the port side of the companionway.  Three more are in the seat for the aft facing chart table.  It took not much modification to locate the three batteries there and there's still some space outboard of them.

              We bought our batteries about ten years ago and are now thinking about replacing them. Though they still are viable, they don't hold a charge like when new.  Our source for batteries is a local (Minneapolis) supplier of batteries to companies with fork lifts and other such equipment.  The price is or at least was, quite a bit lower than the normal marine sources.  The batteries were manufactured by a company called East Pen as I recall.  In any case, it was the same battery that Practical Sailor rated highly at that time.

              John  Larson
            • William E. Roesner
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008
                John,
                Have you read the article in the latest issue of Blue Water Sailing re Mahina Tiares' solution to an attempt  to extend battery life in dry cell batteries? It seems by putting a severe and deep discharge into them, that that is  supposed to rejuvenate and restore life to them.  What do you think?
                Bill
                SV Blueprint
                NIC 31-113

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 15, 2008
                  Bill

                  I haven't seen the article.  It would be good news if it works.  Four of our batteries should be replaced sometime soon.  The other one is for engine starting and we never seem to remember to use it so it's like new.

                  I'll check it out and perhaps try it before buying new ones.  Do you know if what they wrote about referred to gel cells?

                  John
                  S/V Passport
                  Nic 35-85
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 16, 2008
                    I believe Nigel Calder wrote about that option also in one of his books. As I recall the passage, it was more a way of trying to revive a failing gel cell battery rather than any real maintenance.  By forcing voltage to almost the gassing point, he wrote,  persistent sulfates could be knocked off the plates and thus revive the battery.
                    I took it to be case of nothing really to loose as the battery was almost dead anyway situation.

                    I have a set of gells on Dark Lady that are 10 years old and more or less fine.  I went with gells as they or in the settee just forward of the Nav station. That is no place for a wet cell with it's free hydrogen.

                    Dennis
                    Dark Lady

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 16, 2008
                      Its called equalization. You're never supposed to do it on GEL cells
                      because it causes permanent bubbles in the electrolyte paste, but you
                      can do it under controlled conditions on AGM cells. If you speak to the
                      engineers at Lifeline, they'll tell you that their AGM batteries can be
                      equalized at 15.5v for a period of 8 hours. Be careful; once the water
                      is driven out, its not coming back.

                      I've done it and can report modest success with Lifeline batteries that
                      exhibited loss of capacity due to heavy sulfation from persistent
                      undercharging. Its not going to restore full capacity, but did get me
                      back to about 75%.

                      Graham

                      Dennis Gibbons wrote:

                      > I believe Nigel Calder wrote about that option also in one of his
                      > books. As I recall the passage, it was more a way of trying to revive
                      > a failing gel cell battery rather than any real maintenance. By
                      > forcing voltage to almost the gassing point, he wrote, persistent
                      > sulfates could be knocked off the plates and thus revive the battery.
                      > I took it to be case of nothing really to loose as the battery was
                      > almost dead anyway situation.
                      >
                      > I have a set of gells on Dark Lady that are 10 years old and more or
                      > less fine. I went with gells as they or in the settee just forward of
                      > the Nav station. That is no place for a wet cell with it's free hydrogen.
                      >

                      > Dennis
                      > Dark Lady
                      > CN35-207

                    • Graham Horne
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 24, 2008
                        Thanks so much for all your respones on battery capacity.

                        --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Graham Norbury <gnorbury@...>