Battery Capacity

  • Graham Horne
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 10, 2008
      How much battery capacity do you carry and where do you put all that
      lead?

      I am hoping to carry at least 400Ah of dedicated house storage. I can
      possible get a pair of 200Ah Rolls in but it is tight for height. The
      t1225 Rolls are 391mm long, 178mm wide but 365mm high and I may just
      scrape that in but have little breathing space. I see some carry 4 x
      105Ah for example. Where do you pu it all?

      How do you carry your battery capacity?

      Thanks for your help.
      Graham
    • J. Seth Strattan
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 10, 2008
        --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Graham Horne"
        <graham.horne@...> wrote:

        > How much battery capacity do you carry and where do you put all that
        > lead?

        Graham - Liberty has an aft-facing chart table, watch seat and
        outboard hanging locker. Below the watch seat I carry two Lifeline
        AGM batteries, size "8D" (their model number GPL-8DL, 255 Ah each).
        That gives us 510 Ah. To fit them in I had to cut the bottom of the
        fore-and-aft panel that separates the battery compartment from the
        hanging locker. The ends of the batteries protrude a few inches into
        the bottom of the hanging locker. Also, because 8D batteries are
        wider than they are tall, they will only fit sitting on their sides.
        This is an approved configuration for the Lifelines. They are sealed
        and the electrolyte is absorbed into a solid matrix. Outboard of the
        8D's I have an Optima 34M as a start battery. To hold all this weight
        (~350 pounds), I strengthened the floor of the battery compartment by
        adding two 2"x2" beams below the floor that run fore-and-aft.

        The Lifelines are expensive but fit nicely. Flooded lead acid
        batteries are far more cost-effective. Before I settled on the
        Lifeline AGM's I figured I could just fit four Group 31 batteries
        below the aft athwartships dinette settee, but it would have been a
        tight squeeze.

        Best wishes,
        Seth
        Liberty CN35 #21
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 10, 2008
          Depending on your interior layout, you should be able to fit 4 golf cart
          sized batteries under the seat immediately forward of the chart table.
          It might take a bit of light carpentry to modify the top access, but
          that location worked very well on Luna Azul. Whatever you do, just
          make sure to locate all batteries in the same physical location, and
          preferably away from the engine room.

          Graham

          Graham Horne wrote:

          > How much battery capacity do you carry and where do you put all that
          > lead?
          >
          > I am hoping to carry at least 400Ah of dedicated house storage. I can
          > possible get a pair of 200Ah Rolls in but it is tight for height. The
          > t1225 Rolls are 391mm long, 178mm wide but 365mm high and I may just
          > scrape that in but have little breathing space. I see some carry 4 x
          > 105Ah for example. Where do you pu it all?
          >
          > How do you carry your battery capacity?
          >
          > Thanks for your help.
          > Graham

          > Spam <http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=s&i=156943637&m=4a7dcc9b38e7>
          > Not spam
          > <http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=n&i=156943637&m=4a7dcc9b38e7>
          > Forget previous vote
          > <http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=f&i=156943637&m=4a7dcc9b38e7>

        • JIM TEIPEN
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 10, 2008
            We have 440 Ah of 12 volt battery capacity from four 6 volt lead battery wired in serial and in parallel.  Two of them are in the built in battery box aft of the nav station (we have the aft facing nav station).  Two more are just outboard of the built in box in a polypropylene battery box which is strapped to a platform glassed into part of the hanging locker.  Unfortunately the arrangment does take up a lot of the hanging locker but then it's really nice to have all that battery capacity too.

            Jim
            S/V Alegria
            CN 35 - 68

            To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
            From: graham.horne@...
            Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:07:23 +0000
            Subject: [campernicholson] Battery Capacity

            How much battery capacity do you carry and where do you put all that
            lead?

            I am hoping to carry at least 400Ah of dedicated house storage. I can
            possible get a pair of 200Ah Rolls in but it is tight for height. The
            t1225 Rolls are 391mm long, 178mm wide but 365mm high and I may just
            scrape that in but have little breathing space. I see some carry 4 x
            105Ah for example. Where do you pu it all?

            How do you carry your battery capacity?

            Thanks for your help.
            Graham

            Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with Windows Live Click here
          • minnehaha64
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 11, 2008
              Graham (Horne)

              As noted by Graham Norbury in his reply, 4 6-volt Trojan batteries
              will fit in the space beneath the watch seat. 105 amp hours each, in
              series, gives me 420ah total. I up-loaded a photo of the installation
              of these batteries in Yankee, hull #99. As you can see, the fit is
              very close. Not shown is a half-inch threaded rod which screws into a
              threaded plate in the center of the bottom of the compartment. A
              drilled block of wood, slightly larger than the square hole between
              the batteries, is fitted over the rod; a nut is then tightened for the
              hold-down. Because the batteries are such a tight fit, there's no
              lateral movement; the single central hold-down suffices.

              It was necessary to remove the fiberglass catch pan at the bottom of
              the compartment, along with some horizontal braces. I glassed in two
              layers of cloth at the bottom of the compartment, overlapping up the
              sides several inches, for strength and to serve as a catch pan.

              Enough room remains above the batteries for a small wooden panel
              which holds the circuit breaker for the winch and the switch for the
              bilge pump. That panel is not shown in the photo. Also not shown is
              removable bracing for the watch seat itself.

              Russ Armstrong
            • Jeffrey Moorman
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 11, 2008
                Russ et al,

                I believe the result of connecting your 6v batteries in series leaves you with 105 ah hrs (the voltage is cumulative but the capacity remains the same). So your actual total capacity is 210 ah hrs.

                Jeff Moorman

                La Boheme

              • Jeffrey Moorman
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 11, 2008
                  Gang,

                  Here is a very informative page for these battery challenges http://www.gizmology.net/batteries.htm

                  Jeff

                • O. R. Armstrong
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 11, 2008
                    Gang,

                      I agree with Jeff. I checked the Trojan website. My error was that a 6-volt Trojan T-105 battery has a 20-hour rating of 225 amp hours (I had confused the model number with the amp hour rating). Connecting a pair of T-105s in series effectively creates one 12-volt battery with the same 225 amp hour rating. Connecting a pair of such series-connected T-105s in parallel gives 450 amp hours and 12 volts.

                      Russ

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 11, 2008
                      Jeff,

                      You are correct about batteries connected in series, however four golf-cart batteries does give you approximately 400AH capacity as each individual battery is rated close to 200AH.  On Luna Azul we used LifeLine batteries, so total capacity was closer to 440AH.  A nice advantage of AGM technology is that you don't need to devote extra space to acid containment trays.

                      Graham

                      Jeffrey Moorman wrote:

                      Russ et al,

                      I believe the result of connecting your 6v batteries in series leaves you with 105 ah hrs (the voltage is cumulative but the capacity remains the same). So your actual total capacity is 210 ah hrs.

                      Jeff Moorman

                      La Boheme

                    • JOHN LARSON
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008
                        On Passport, our Nic 35, we have five 100 amp hour batteries.  They are gel cels and for us that's important because of the way we cruise.  We're on the boat for a period of two or three months and then a long way away from the boat the rest of the year.  The gel cels can sit unattended for extended periods without loosing much charge. At one point we were gone for over a year, and the batteries had over 12 volts of charge when we returned.

                        Two of the batteries are in the usual place under the pilot seat on the port side of the companionway.  Three more are in the seat for the aft facing chart table.  It took not much modification to locate the three batteries there and there's still some space outboard of them.

                        We bought our batteries about ten years ago and are now thinking about replacing them. Though they still are viable, they don't hold a charge like when new.  Our source for batteries is a local (Minneapolis) supplier of batteries to companies with fork lifts and other such equipment.  The price is or at least was, quite a bit lower than the normal marine sources.  The batteries were manufactured by a company called East Pen as I recall.  In any case, it was the same battery that Practical Sailor rated highly at that time.

                        John  Larson
                      • William E. Roesner
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008
                          John,
                          Have you read the article in the latest issue of Blue Water Sailing re Mahina Tiares' solution to an attempt  to extend battery life in dry cell batteries? It seems by putting a severe and deep discharge into them, that that is  supposed to rejuvenate and restore life to them.  What do you think?
                          Bill
                          SV Blueprint
                          NIC 31-113

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 15, 2008
                            Bill

                            I haven't seen the article.  It would be good news if it works.  Four of our batteries should be replaced sometime soon.  The other one is for engine starting and we never seem to remember to use it so it's like new.

                            I'll check it out and perhaps try it before buying new ones.  Do you know if what they wrote about referred to gel cells?

                            John
                            S/V Passport
                            Nic 35-85
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 16, 2008
                              I believe Nigel Calder wrote about that option also in one of his books. As I recall the passage, it was more a way of trying to revive a failing gel cell battery rather than any real maintenance.  By forcing voltage to almost the gassing point, he wrote,  persistent sulfates could be knocked off the plates and thus revive the battery.
                              I took it to be case of nothing really to loose as the battery was almost dead anyway situation.

                              I have a set of gells on Dark Lady that are 10 years old and more or less fine.  I went with gells as they or in the settee just forward of the Nav station. That is no place for a wet cell with it's free hydrogen.

                              Dennis
                              Dark Lady

                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 16, 2008
                                Its called equalization. You're never supposed to do it on GEL cells
                                because it causes permanent bubbles in the electrolyte paste, but you
                                can do it under controlled conditions on AGM cells. If you speak to the
                                engineers at Lifeline, they'll tell you that their AGM batteries can be
                                equalized at 15.5v for a period of 8 hours. Be careful; once the water
                                is driven out, its not coming back.

                                I've done it and can report modest success with Lifeline batteries that
                                exhibited loss of capacity due to heavy sulfation from persistent
                                undercharging. Its not going to restore full capacity, but did get me
                                back to about 75%.

                                Graham

                                Dennis Gibbons wrote:

                                > I believe Nigel Calder wrote about that option also in one of his
                                > books. As I recall the passage, it was more a way of trying to revive
                                > a failing gel cell battery rather than any real maintenance. By
                                > forcing voltage to almost the gassing point, he wrote, persistent
                                > sulfates could be knocked off the plates and thus revive the battery.
                                > I took it to be case of nothing really to loose as the battery was
                                > almost dead anyway situation.
                                >
                                > I have a set of gells on Dark Lady that are 10 years old and more or
                                > less fine. I went with gells as they or in the settee just forward of
                                > the Nav station. That is no place for a wet cell with it's free hydrogen.
                                >

                                > Dennis
                                > Dark Lady
                                > CN35-207

                              • Graham Horne
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 24, 2008
                                  Thanks so much for all your respones on battery capacity.

                                  --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Graham Norbury <gnorbury@...>