RE: [campernicholson] Which anchors fit the shape of the CN35 bow-roller?

  • JIM TEIPEN
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
      Here's a link to an article that gives pros and cons of some of the newer anchor designs.

      http://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-anchors/new-gen-boat-anchors-explained.php

      Jim
      S/V Alegria
      CN 35 #68

      To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
      From: lowdens@...
      Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 09:33:02 +0000
      Subject: [campernicholson] Which anchors fit the shape of the CN35 bow-roller?

      Advice, please: I think it is about time to replace our 30-year-old
      35-lb CQR. Of course I could simply buy another of the same, but I
      wonder if any of the modern rigid designs are worth considering. In
      particular, can anyone tell me which designs(if any)will rest on the
      bow roller without bashing the gelcoat? We have long since given up
      stowing our anchor in the foredeck locker, because we use it so
      often. Our present drill is to drag it up until the shank is loosely
      horizontal, and then lash the shank down close to the deck, using the
      same lashing to pull the hinged business-end of the anchor round
      sideways, thus stopping it from bouncing around in a seaway. It would
      presumably be even simpler to lash a rigid design.

      Another thought: do I have to worry about whether the shank will pass
      cleanly under the furling-gear? The CQR, which has a pretty long
      shank, has to be prevented from rearing up as it slides in and out of
      the roller. Otherwise, it fouls the furling drum. I am wondering if
      a shorter shank, perhaps curved, might behave more conveniently.

      The sort of design I am thinking of is Spade or Manson. All
      suggestions welcome.

      Stephen Lowden CN35#190 'Malfi'

      Get 5 GB of storage with Windows Live Hotmail. Sign up today.
    • Tom
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
        Stephen,

        I too am interested in the responses to your question and would like
        to hear what others have done to keep from chipping the gelcoat
        without installing a sheet of stainless against the hull.

        I use a 35# Delta and have had good luck with its holding. The tip
        will hit the bow if your not careful so I usually put it out &
        retrieve it over the roller by hand to keep it from hitting the hull.
        I have not had any issues with it hitting the furler probably because
        I'm carefully guiding the anchor at that point and have not noticed
        any issues with it coming close the the furller (Harken MkV). My
        windlass is the Simpson Lawrence 555. I have a 35# CQR in the deck
        hold that I've never used so I can't comment on that.

        Regards,

        Tom
        CN35-199 Dream
      • J. Seth Strattan
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
          --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "stephen_lowden" <lowdens@...>
          wrote:

          > Advice, please: I think it is about time to replace our 30-year-old
          > 35-lb CQR.

          Dear Stephen - I like the CQR but for more anchoring options I wanted
          to add to the inventory an anchor of a different design. I chose a 20
          kg Rocna. Several problems needed solving:

          1. 35# CQR fouled the Harken furling drum.
          2. 20 kg Rocna fouled the hull (viciously).
          3. Tufnol bow roller was frozen on its shaft and damaged.
          4. Genoa foot was too low to allow good visibility ahead.

          I finally decided on surgery. Here's what I did:

          1. Shortened the Harken furler by cutting a 1-foot section from the
          top foil and fabricated a stainless link plate that, with an
          additional toggle, raises the attachment point of the furler 1 foot.
          2. Had both my genoas recut to fit the shortened headfoil.
          3. Using a die grinder and cut-off wheel, excised the starboard ear
          from the bronze bow casting, removed and discarded old roller shaft
          and roller wheel.
          4. Using the die grinder and grinding wheel, I ground down the bronze
          casting and adjacent fiberglass bulwark to fit a Windline URM-1 anchor
          roller mount. At the aft end, I drilled the URM-1 to accept 1/2"
          diameter bolts - two that go through the bronze casting and deck and
          one new bolt outboard of the casting. I also fabricated a riser block
          out of Seaboard that elevates the aft end of the URM-1. The
          through-bolts pass through this block, too. Forward, the remaining
          base of the vertical bronze ear that I cut off forms a rib. I drilled
          and tapped into the bronze and screwed the URM-1 to it. I can provide
          more details if anyone is interested.

          The result is satisfactory, but imperfect. Here's what I like:

          1. The CQR and the Rocna no longer foul the hull and furler.
          2. The URM-1 fits the CQR like a glove, with the retaining pin in the
          roller aligned with the retaining hole in the anchor.
          3. The Rocna fits acceptably and is self-launching.
          4. The chain comes in with much less friction.
          5. I can see under the genoa.
          6. The furling line leads to the raised drum more fairly than before.

          What I don't like is that the URM-1 offers somewhat less strength
          athwartships than the bronze casting. This is overcome by lying to a
          snubber passed through the port-side opening of the bronze casting or
          by using a bridle passed through the fairlead chocks on the bulwark.
          I also wouldn't trust the URM-1 in a severe spinnaker knock-down.
          I've over-drilled the port rope channel on the bronze casting to take
          a 3/8 pin (actually a bolt) and plan to tack the spinnaker to that.
          And while the Rocna fits the URM-1 acceptably, it's not perfect. The
          flared "ears" at the outboard end of the roller gouge the Rocna when
          it's raised and the retaining pin is not aligned with the Rocna's
          retaining hole. Nevertheless it's a solution that used off-the-shelf
          parts and wasn't terribly expensive.

          If I had to do it all over again, I would seriously consider the
          following alternatives:

          1. To eliminate fouling the furler, get rid of it and go with hank-on
          sails. This is a good solution with many advantages but my
          roller-furled sails are purpose-built and too good to throw away.
          2. Replace the bronze casting altogether with a custom-designed
          stainless weldment. I would cut down the bulwark so the base of this
          assembly was flush with the deck. It's a simple design that any
          competent welder could put together.
          3. Add a deck-mounted roller just aft of the furler under which the
          chain and anchor shank would pass. This might keep the anchor from
          bashing the drum. Something like a Windline AR-5 mounted "upside
          down", on deck, with the ears cut off.

          After all this folderol you may decide to heck with it and go with an
          anchor that fits the boat (which, after all, was your original
          question)! I'll try to report on the Rocna's performance after we
          live with it for awhile.

          Good luck!
          Seth
          Liberty CN35 #21
        • Jeffrey Moorman
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
            Hi Stephen,

            I just uploaded a couple of shots of LaBoheme's double ABI anchor rollers to the photo section. I will be happy to field questions.

            Jeff Moorman
            Nic 35 #39
            LaBoheme

          • sailboatginrummy
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 9, 2008
              Jim,

              Great anchoring article. Thanks. We are also in the market for a new
              main anchor. We would like a Rocna but the cost is high and you can't
              easily get hold of one. Our second choice is a Delta - either 35lb or
              45lb. I expect we will buy one when when we return to the boat in the
              spring.

              Our experience with the CQR is mixed. We have 2 35lb CQRs which we
              have used as our main anchors for many years, one sits on the bow
              roller and one is kept in the locker. We have found that once the CQR
              is set it holds well even in a blow. But setting it is not always
              easy, particularly in some areas of the Mediterranean. Because of the
              hinge it has a tendency to drag along a hard-ish bottom before the
              tip digs in. This can mean that we either end up further back than we
              intended (and maybe too close to another anchored boat), or that we
              have to lift it and drop it several times. On several occasions when
              anchoring in very gusty conditions we have been forced to attach a
              small Danforth anchor in tandem with the CQR in oder to hold it while
              it digs in. Not ideal!

              I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had any negative experience
              or watch-outs with a Delta before we spend the money.

              (Sorry for the late responses. We've been reading many of these
              postings with interest over the last few months but did not have time
              to reply from internet cafes!)

              Thanks,

              Simon
              Gin Rummy, CN35-202

              --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, JIM TEIPEN <jteipen@...>
              wrote:

              > Here's a link to an article that gives pros and cons of some of the
              newer anchor designs.

              > http://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-anchors/new-gen-boat-anchors-
              explained.php

              > Jim
              > S/V Alegria
              > CN 35 #68
              > To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
              > From: lowdens@...
              > Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 09:33:02 +0000
              > Subject: [campernicholson] Which anchors fit the shape of the CN35
              bow-roller?

              > Advice, please: I think it is about time to replace
              our 30-year-old

              > 35-lb CQR. Of course I could simply buy another of the same, but I
              >
              > wonder if any of the modern rigid designs are worth considering.
              In

              > particular, can anyone tell me which designs(if any)will rest on
              the

              > bow roller without bashing the gelcoat? We have long since given up
              >
              > stowing our anchor in the foredeck locker, because we use it so
              >
              > often. Our present drill is to drag it up until the shank is
              loosely

              > horizontal, and then lash the shank down close to the deck, using
              the

              > same lashing to pull the hinged business-end of the anchor round
              >
              > sideways, thus stopping it from bouncing around in a seaway. It
              would

              > presumably be even simpler to lash a rigid design.
              >

              > Another thought: do I have to worry about whether the shank will
              pass

              > cleanly under the furling-gear? The CQR, which has a pretty long
              >
              > shank, has to be prevented from rearing up as it slides in and out
              of

              > the roller. Otherwise, it fouls the furling drum. I am wondering
              if

              > a shorter shank, perhaps curved, might behave more conveniently.
              >

              > The sort of design I am thinking of is Spade or Manson. All
              >
              > suggestions welcome.
              >

              > Stephen Lowden CN35#190 'Malfi'

              > Get 5 GB of storage with Windows Live Hotmail.
              > http://windowslive.com/Explore/Hotmail?
              ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_5gb_112008

            • sailboatginrummy
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 9, 2008

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 9, 2008
                  BTW, regarding that sheet of stainless steel to protect the hull from
                  the anchor...

                  On Gin Rummy we glued a piece of thick rubber (maybe 8mm) to the stem
                  with contact adhesive. It's the same shape as a s/s strike plate, but as
                  well as protecting the hull it stops the anchor rattling. Much cheaper
                  than s/s and no screw holes. It works very, very well. We fitted the
                  first one in 2000, and I replaced it in 2006 even though it wasn't that
                  shabby. We have a dark blue hull so you hardly even notice the black
                  rubber.

                  Just a thought...

                  Simon

                  Gin Rummy, CN35-202

                  --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tom1us2001a@...> wrote:

                  > Stephen,
                  >
                  > I too am interested in the responses to your question and would like
                  > to hear what others have done to keep from chipping the gelcoat
                  > without installing a sheet of stainless against the hull.
                  >
                  > I use a 35# Delta and have had good luck with its holding. The tip
                  > will hit the bow if your not careful so I usually put it out &
                  > retrieve it over the roller by hand to keep it from hitting the hull.
                  > I have not had any issues with it hitting the furler probably because
                  > I'm carefully guiding the anchor at that point and have not noticed
                  > any issues with it coming close the the furller (Harken MkV). My
                  > windlass is the Simpson Lawrence 555. I have a 35# CQR in the deck
                  > hold that I've never used so I can't comment on that.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Tom
                  > CN35-199 Dream

                • Denece Vincent
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 9, 2008
                    We got a spade which fits the roller and holds great.  But it WILL jump off in rough conditions so I always have to secure it with a line before any passage. We never had that problem with the MAX (dragged badly) or the old CQR.

                    Sent: 12/9/2008 11:09:27 AM

                    wrote:

                    > Here's a link to an article that gives pros and cons of some of the
                    newer anchor designs.

                    > http://www.petersmi th.net.nz/ boat-anchors/ new-gen-boat- anchors-
                    explained.php

                    > Jim
                    > S/V Alegria
                    > CN 35 #68
                    > To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com
                    > From: lowdens@...
                    > Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 09:33:02 +0000
                    > Subject: [campernicholson] Which anchors fit the shape of the CN35
                    bow-roller?

                    > Advice, please: I think it is about time to replace
                    our 30-year-old

                    > 35-lb CQR. Of course I could simply buy another of the same, but I
                    >
                    > wonder if any of the modern rigid designs are worth considering.
                    In

                    > particular, can anyone tell me which designs(if any)will rest on
                    the

                    > bow roller without bashing the gelcoat? We have long since given up
                    >
                    > stowing our anchor in the foredeck locker, because we use it so
                    >
                    > often. Our present drill is to drag it up until the shank is
                    loosely

                    > horizontal, and then lash the shank down close to the deck, using
                    the

                    > same lashing to pull the hinged business-end of the anchor round
                    >
                    > sideways, thus stopping it from bouncing around in a seaway. It
                    would

                    > presumably be even simpler to lash a rigid design.
                    >

                    > Another thought: do I have to worry about whether the shank will
                    pass

                    > cleanly under the furling-gear? The CQR, which has a pretty long
                    >
                    > shank, has to be prevented from rearing up as it slides in and out
                    of

                    > the roller. Otherwise, it fouls the furling drum. I am wondering
                    if

                    > a shorter shank, perhaps curved, might behave more conveniently.
                    >

                    > The sort of design I am thinking of is Spade or Manson. All
                    >
                    > suggestions welcome.
                    >

                    > Stephen Lowden CN35#190 'Malfi'

                    > Get 5 GB of storage with Windows Live Hotmail.
                    > http://windowslive. com/Explore/ Hotmail?
                    ocid=TXT_TAGLM_ WL_hotmail_ acq_5gb_112008

                  • Katie and Simon
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 9, 2008
                      Hi Denece,

                      Doesn't the taut chain from the windlass hold the Spade in place, or doesn't that setup work? You're right that the CQR fits very well.

                      Simon

                      To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                      From: bluepearl@...
                      Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:29:38 -0800

                      Sent: 12/9/2008 11:09:27 AM

                      wrote:

                      > Here's a link to an article that gives pros and cons of some of the
                      newer anchor designs.

                      > http://www.petersmi th.net.nz/ boat-anchors/ new-gen-boat- anchors-
                      explained.php

                      > Jim
                      > S/V Alegria
                      > CN 35 #68
                      > To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com
                      > From: lowdens@...
                      > Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 09:33:02 +0000
                      > Subject: [campernicholson] Which anchors fit the shape of the CN35
                      bow-roller?

                      > Advice, please: I think it is about time to replace
                      our 30-year-old

                      > 35-lb CQR. Of course I could simply buy another of the same, but I
                      >
                      > wonder if any of the modern rigid designs are worth considering.
                      In

                      > particular, can anyone tell me which designs(if any)will rest on
                      the

                      > bow roller without bashing the gelcoat? We have long since given up
                      >
                      > stowing our anchor in the foredeck locker, because we use it so
                      >
                      > often. Our present drill is to drag it up until the shank is
                      loosely

                      > horizontal, and then lash the shank down close to the deck, using
                      the

                      > same lashing to pull the hinged business-end of the anchor round
                      >
                      > sideways, thus stopping it from bouncing around in a seaway. It
                      would

                      > presumably be even simpler to lash a rigid design.
                      >

                      > Another thought: do I have to worry about whether the shank will
                      pass

                      > cleanly under the furling-gear? The CQR, which has a pretty long
                      >
                      > shank, has to be prevented from rearing up as it slides in and out
                      of

                      > the roller. Otherwise, it fouls the furling drum. I am wondering
                      if

                      > a shorter shank, perhaps curved, might behave more conveniently.
                      >

                      > The sort of design I am thinking of is Spade or Manson. All
                      >
                      > suggestions welcome.
                      >

                      > Stephen Lowden CN35#190 'Malfi'

                      > Get 5 GB of storage with Windows Live Hotmail.
                      > http://windowslive. com/Explore/ Hotmail?
                      ocid=TXT_TAGLM_ WL_hotmail_ acq_5gb_112008

                      Take your friends with you with Mobile Messenger. Click Here!
                    • Colin Campbell-Dunlop
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008

                        I am a big fan of the Bugel anchor.  It fits the bow roller very well and doesn’t clank around when sailing.  We keep the chain taught-ish when it is stowed but it also has a stainless retainer bar which goes through the bow roller, the anchor, out the other side and is secured with a pin.  Works really well.

                        Rgds

                        Colin

                        To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com
                        From: bluepearl@jps. net
                        Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:29:38 -0800

                        Sent: 12/9/2008 11:09:27 AM

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008
                          Hi Colin,

                          Interesting. The Bugel is very popular all over the Med, so I guess we should have that one on the short-list too. Decisions, decisions! Is yours a 35lb?

                          Simon

                          To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                          From: colinj@...
                          Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 12:26:46 +0000

                          To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com
                          From: bluepearl@jps. net
                          Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:29:38 -0800

                          Sent: 12/9/2008 11:09:27 AM

                          wrote:

                          > Here's a link to an article that gives pros and cons of some of the
                          newer anchor designs.

                          > http://www.petersmi th.net.nz/ boat-anchors/ new-gen-boat- anchors-
                          explained.ph! p

                          > Jim
                          > S/V Alegria
                          > CN 35 #68
                          > To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com
                          > From: lowdens@...
                          > Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 09:33:02 +0000
                          > Subject: [campernicholson] Which anchors fit the shape of the CN35
                          bow-roller?

                          > Advice, please: I think it is about time to replace
                          our 30-year-old

                          > 35-lb CQR. Of course I could simply buy another of the same, but I
                          >
                          > wonder if any of the modern rigid designs are worth considering.
                          In

                          > particular, can anyone tell me which designs(if any)will rest on
                          the

                          > bow roller without bashing the gelcoat? We have long since given up
                          >
                          > stowing our anchor in the foredeck locker, because we use it so
                          >
                          > oft! en. Our present drill is to drag it up until the shank is
                          loosely

                          > horizontal, and then lash the shank down close to the deck, using
                          the

                          > same lashing to pull the hinged business-end of the anchor round
                          >
                          > sideways, thus stopping it from bouncing around in a seaway. It
                          would

                          > presumably be even simpler to lash a rigid design.
                          >

                          > Another thought: do I have to worry about whether the shank will
                          pass

                          > cleanly under the furling-gear? The CQR, which has a pretty long
                          >
                          > shank, has to be prevented from rearing up as it slides in and out
                          of

                          > the roller. Otherwise, it fouls the furling drum. I am wondering
                          if

                          > a shorter shank, perhaps curved, might behave more conveniently.
                          >

                          > The sort of design I am thinking of is Spade or Manson. All
                          >
                          > suggestions ! welcome.
                          >

                          > Stephen Lowden CN35#190 'M alfi'

                          > Get 5 GB of storage with Windows Live Hotmail.
                          > http://windowslive. com/Explore/ Hotmail?
                          ocid=TXT_TAGLM_ WL_hotmail_ acq_5gb_112008

                          Take your friends with you with Mobile Messenger. Click Here!

                          Great search results, great prizes. BigSnapSearch.com Search now
                        • Colin Campbell-Dunlop
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008

                            Hi, that is a good question.  I would say about 35lbs, I have never weighed it and there are no markings on it to give the weight so I just estimate.

                            We have been very happy with it.  It seems to dig in to most forms of holding very well and the problem is usually getting the thing back up again, especially in hard mud.

                            To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com
                            From: colinj@paradigmsear ch.com
                            Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 12:26:46 +0000

                            To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com