RE: [campernicholson] Which anchors fit the shape of the CN35 bow-roller?

  • Colin Campbell-Dunlop
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008

      Hi Stephen,

      I think that we can add a little to this discussion which is an interesting one.

      We have a Bugel anchor on Trutz.  The original German owner specified it.

      In the last five years we have done quite a bit of anchoring in all sorts of holding.  Herr Bugel (as we like to call him) has never let us down even when we have seen plenty of other boats dragging their gear and having to reset in the same anchorages.  The beauty of this anchor is that it really only needs dropping once provided you pay out the requisite amount of scope.  The design is such that even if you foolishly drop the thing on its back the horizontal pull of chain will put it back in to the correct position and it will automatically reset.

      Yes, we have a similar problem to your own as regards clearing the furling gear but it is something we have learned to live with.  It kind of makes up for this by stowing beautifully in the bow roller and has such a purposeful appearance that I am sure it acts as a deterrent when you are the stand on vessel J

      I have some details for a UK based supplier somewhere.  They will sell you the whole kit and caboodle if you like, in stainless steel no less!  Ours is a rather more workmanlike galvanized steel but is German build quality.  I understand that there are some cheaper Turkish lookalikes but they apparently work just as well.

      It you have any other questions about it just drop me an email.

      All the best

      Colin and Jo

      Trutz

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
        Here's a link to an article that gives pros and cons of some of the newer anchor designs.

        http://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-anchors/new-gen-boat-anchors-explained.php

        Jim
        S/V Alegria
        CN 35 #68

        To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
        From: lowdens@...
        Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 09:33:02 +0000

[...]

        Get 5 GB of storage with Windows Live Hotmail. Sign up today.
      • Tom
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
          Stephen,

          I too am interested in the responses to your question and would like
          to hear what others have done to keep from chipping the gelcoat
          without installing a sheet of stainless against the hull.

          I use a 35# Delta and have had good luck with its holding. The tip
          will hit the bow if your not careful so I usually put it out &
          retrieve it over the roller by hand to keep it from hitting the hull.
          I have not had any issues with it hitting the furler probably because
          I'm carefully guiding the anchor at that point and have not noticed
          any issues with it coming close the the furller (Harken MkV). My
          windlass is the Simpson Lawrence 555. I have a 35# CQR in the deck
          hold that I've never used so I can't comment on that.

          Regards,

          Tom
          CN35-199 Dream
        • J. Seth Strattan
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
            --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "stephen_lowden" <lowdens@...>
            wrote:

            > Advice, please: I think it is about time to replace our 30-year-old
            > 35-lb CQR.

            Dear Stephen - I like the CQR but for more anchoring options I wanted
            to add to the inventory an anchor of a different design. I chose a 20
            kg Rocna. Several problems needed solving:

            1. 35# CQR fouled the Harken furling drum.
            2. 20 kg Rocna fouled the hull (viciously).
            3. Tufnol bow roller was frozen on its shaft and damaged.
            4. Genoa foot was too low to allow good visibility ahead.

            I finally decided on surgery. Here's what I did:

            1. Shortened the Harken furler by cutting a 1-foot section from the
            top foil and fabricated a stainless link plate that, with an
            additional toggle, raises the attachment point of the furler 1 foot.
            2. Had both my genoas recut to fit the shortened headfoil.
            3. Using a die grinder and cut-off wheel, excised the starboard ear
            from the bronze bow casting, removed and discarded old roller shaft
            and roller wheel.
            4. Using the die grinder and grinding wheel, I ground down the bronze
            casting and adjacent fiberglass bulwark to fit a Windline URM-1 anchor
            roller mount. At the aft end, I drilled the URM-1 to accept 1/2"
            diameter bolts - two that go through the bronze casting and deck and
            one new bolt outboard of the casting. I also fabricated a riser block
            out of Seaboard that elevates the aft end of the URM-1. The
            through-bolts pass through this block, too. Forward, the remaining
            base of the vertical bronze ear that I cut off forms a rib. I drilled
            and tapped into the bronze and screwed the URM-1 to it. I can provide
            more details if anyone is interested.

            The result is satisfactory, but imperfect. Here's what I like:

            1. The CQR and the Rocna no longer foul the hull and furler.
            2. The URM-1 fits the CQR like a glove, with the retaining pin in the
            roller aligned with the retaining hole in the anchor.
            3. The Rocna fits acceptably and is self-launching.
            4. The chain comes in with much less friction.
            5. I can see under the genoa.
            6. The furling line leads to the raised drum more fairly than before.

            What I don't like is that the URM-1 offers somewhat less strength
            athwartships than the bronze casting. This is overcome by lying to a
            snubber passed through the port-side opening of the bronze casting or
            by using a bridle passed through the fairlead chocks on the bulwark.
            I also wouldn't trust the URM-1 in a severe spinnaker knock-down.
            I've over-drilled the port rope channel on the bronze casting to take
            a 3/8 pin (actually a bolt) and plan to tack the spinnaker to that.
            And while the Rocna fits the URM-1 acceptably, it's not perfect. The
            flared "ears" at the outboard end of the roller gouge the Rocna when
            it's raised and the retaining pin is not aligned with the Rocna's
            retaining hole. Nevertheless it's a solution that used off-the-shelf
            parts and wasn't terribly expensive.

            If I had to do it all over again, I would seriously consider the
            following alternatives:

            1. To eliminate fouling the furler, get rid of it and go with hank-on
            sails. This is a good solution with many advantages but my
            roller-furled sails are purpose-built and too good to throw away.
            2. Replace the bronze casting altogether with a custom-designed
            stainless weldment. I would cut down the bulwark so the base of this
            assembly was flush with the deck. It's a simple design that any
            competent welder could put together.
            3. Add a deck-mounted roller just aft of the furler under which the
            chain and anchor shank would pass. This might keep the anchor from
            bashing the drum. Something like a Windline AR-5 mounted "upside
            down", on deck, with the ears cut off.

            After all this folderol you may decide to heck with it and go with an
            anchor that fits the boat (which, after all, was your original
            question)! I'll try to report on the Rocna's performance after we
            live with it for awhile.

            Good luck!
            Seth
            Liberty CN35 #21
          • Jeffrey Moorman
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
              Hi Stephen,

              I just uploaded a couple of shots of LaBoheme's double ABI anchor rollers to the photo section. I will be happy to field questions.

              Jeff Moorman
              Nic 35 #39
              LaBoheme

            • sailboatginrummy
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 9, 2008
                Jim,

                Great anchoring article. Thanks. We are also in the market for a new
                main anchor. We would like a Rocna but the cost is high and you can't
                easily get hold of one. Our second choice is a Delta - either 35lb or
                45lb. I expect we will buy one when when we return to the boat in the
                spring.

                Our experience with the CQR is mixed. We have 2 35lb CQRs which we
                have used as our main anchors for many years, one sits on the bow
                roller and one is kept in the locker. We have found that once the CQR
                is set it holds well even in a blow. But setting it is not always
                easy, particularly in some areas of the Mediterranean. Because of the
                hinge it has a tendency to drag along a hard-ish bottom before the
                tip digs in. This can mean that we either end up further back than we
                intended (and maybe too close to another anchored boat), or that we
                have to lift it and drop it several times. On several occasions when
                anchoring in very gusty conditions we have been forced to attach a
                small Danforth anchor in tandem with the CQR in oder to hold it while
                it digs in. Not ideal!

                I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had any negative experience
                or watch-outs with a Delta before we spend the money.

                (Sorry for the late responses. We've been reading many of these
                postings with interest over the last few months but did not have time
                to reply from internet cafes!)

                Thanks,

                Simon
                Gin Rummy, CN35-202

                --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, JIM TEIPEN <jteipen@...>
                wrote:

                > Here's a link to an article that gives pros and cons of some of the
                newer anchor designs.

                > http://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-anchors/new-gen-boat-anchors-
                explained.php

                > Jim
                > S/V Alegria
                > CN 35 #68
                > To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                > From: lowdens@...
                > Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 09:33:02 +0000
                > Subject: [campernicholson] Which anchors fit the shape of the CN35
                bow-roller?

                > Advice, please: I think it is about time to replace
                our 30-year-old

                > 35-lb CQR. Of course I could simply buy another of the same, but I
                >
                > wonder if any of the modern rigid designs are worth considering.
                In

                > particular, can anyone tell me which designs(if any)will rest on
                the

                > bow roller without bashing the gelcoat? We have long since given up
                >
                > stowing our anchor in the foredeck locker, because we use it so
                >
                > often. Our present drill is to drag it up until the shank is
                loosely

                > horizontal, and then lash the shank down close to the deck, using
                the

                > same lashing to pull the hinged business-end of the anchor round
                >
                > sideways, thus stopping it from bouncing around in a seaway. It
                would

                > presumably be even simpler to lash a rigid design.
                >

                > Another thought: do I have to worry about whether the shank will
                pass

                > cleanly under the furling-gear? The CQR, which has a pretty long
                >
                > shank, has to be prevented from rearing up as it slides in and out
                of

                > the roller. Otherwise, it fouls the furling drum. I am wondering
                if

                > a shorter shank, perhaps curved, might behave more conveniently.
                >

                > The sort of design I am thinking of is Spade or Manson. All
                >
                > suggestions welcome.
                >

                > Stephen Lowden CN35#190 'Malfi'

                > Get 5 GB of storage with Windows Live Hotmail.
                > http://windowslive.com/Explore/Hotmail?
                ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_5gb_112008

              • sailboatginrummy
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 9, 2008

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 9, 2008
                    BTW, regarding that sheet of stainless steel to protect the hull from
                    the anchor...

                    On Gin Rummy we glued a piece of thick rubber (maybe 8mm) to the stem
                    with contact adhesive. It's the same shape as a s/s strike plate, but as
                    well as protecting the hull it stops the anchor rattling. Much cheaper
                    than s/s and no screw holes. It works very, very well. We fitted the
                    first one in 2000, and I replaced it in 2006 even though it wasn't that
                    shabby. We have a dark blue hull so you hardly even notice the black
                    rubber.

                    Just a thought...

                    Simon

                    Gin Rummy, CN35-202

                    --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tom1us2001a@...> wrote:

                    > Stephen,
                    >
                    > I too am interested in the responses to your question and would like
                    > to hear what others have done to keep from chipping the gelcoat
                    > without installing a sheet of stainless against the hull.
                    >
                    > I use a 35# Delta and have had good luck with its holding. The tip
                    > will hit the bow if your not careful so I usually put it out &
                    > retrieve it over the roller by hand to keep it from hitting the hull.
                    > I have not had any issues with it hitting the furler probably because
                    > I'm carefully guiding the anchor at that point and have not noticed
                    > any issues with it coming close the the furller (Harken MkV). My
                    > windlass is the Simpson Lawrence 555. I have a 35# CQR in the deck
                    > hold that I've never used so I can't comment on that.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Tom
                    > CN35-199 Dream

                  • Denece Vincent
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 9, 2008
                      We got a spade which fits the roller and holds great.  But it WILL jump off in rough conditions so I always have to secure it with a line before any passage. We never had that problem with the MAX (dragged badly) or the old CQR.

                      Sent: 12/9/2008 11:09:27 AM

                      wrote:

                      > Here's a link to an article that gives pros and cons of some of the
                      newer anchor designs.

                      > http://www.petersmi th.net.nz/ boat-anchors/ new-gen-boat- anchors-
                      explained.php

                      > Jim
                      > S/V Alegria
                      > CN 35 #68
                      > To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com
                      > From: lowdens@...
                      > Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 09:33:02 +0000
                      > Subject: [campernicholson] Which anchors fit the shape of the CN35
                      bow-roller?

                      > Advice, please: I think it is about time to replace
                      our 30-year-old

                      > 35-lb CQR. Of course I could simply buy another of the same, but I
                      >
                      > wonder if any of the modern rigid designs are worth considering.
                      In

                      > particular, can anyone tell me which designs(if any)will rest on
                      the

                      > bow roller without bashing the gelcoat? We have long since given up
                      >
                      > stowing our anchor in the foredeck locker, because we use it so
                      >
                      > often. Our present drill is to drag it up until the shank is
                      loosely

                      > horizontal, and then lash the shank down close to the deck, using
                      the

                      > same lashing to pull the hinged business-end of the anchor round
                      >
                      > sideways, thus stopping it from bouncing around in a seaway. It
                      would

                      > presumably be even simpler to lash a rigid design.
                      >

                      > Another thought: do I have to worry about whether the shank will
                      pass

                      > cleanly under the furling-gear? The CQR, which has a pretty long
                      >
                      > shank, has to be prevented from rearing up as it slides in and out
                      of

                      > the roller. Otherwise, it fouls the furling drum. I am wondering
                      if

                      > a shorter shank, perhaps curved, might behave more conveniently.
                      >

                      > The sort of design I am thinking of is Spade or Manson. All
                      >
                      > suggestions welcome.
                      >

                      > Stephen Lowden CN35#190 'Malfi'

                      > Get 5 GB of storage with Windows Live Hotmail.
                      > http://windowslive. com/Explore/ Hotmail?
                      ocid=TXT_TAGLM_ WL_hotmail_ acq_5gb_112008

                    • Katie and Simon
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 9, 2008
                        Hi Denece,

                        Doesn't the taut chain from the windlass hold the Spade in place, or doesn't that setup work? You're right that the CQR fits very well.

                        Simon

                        To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                        From: bluepearl@...
                        Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:29:38 -0800

                        Sent: 12/9/2008 11:09:27 AM

                        wrote:

                        > Here's a link to an article that gives pros and cons of some of the
                        newer anchor designs.

                        > http://www.petersmi th.net.nz/ boat-anchors/ new-gen-boat- anchors-
                        explained.php

                        > Jim
                        > S/V Alegria
                        > CN 35 #68
                        > To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com
                        > From: lowdens@...
                        > Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 09:33:02 +0000
                        > Subject: [campernicholson] Which anchors fit the shape of the CN35
                        bow-roller?

                        > Advice, please: I think it is about time to replace
                        our 30-year-old

                        > 35-lb CQR. Of course I could simply buy another of the same, but I
                        >
                        > wonder if any of the modern rigid designs are worth considering.
                        In

                        > particular, can anyone tell me which designs(if any)will rest on
                        the

                        > bow roller without bashing the gelcoat? We have long since given up
                        >
                        > stowing our anchor in the foredeck locker, because we use it so
                        >
                        > often. Our present drill is to drag it up until the shank is
                        loosely

                        > horizontal, and then lash the shank down close to the deck, using
                        the

                        > same lashing to pull the hinged business-end of the anchor round
                        >
                        > sideways, thus stopping it from bouncing around in a seaway. It
                        would

                        > presumably be even simpler to lash a rigid design.
                        >

                        > Another thought: do I have to worry about whether the shank will
                        pass

                        > cleanly under the furling-gear? The CQR, which has a pretty long
                        >
                        > shank, has to be prevented from rearing up as it slides in and out
                        of

                        > the roller. Otherwise, it fouls the furling drum. I am wondering
                        if

                        > a shorter shank, perhaps curved, might behave more conveniently.
                        >

                        > The sort of design I am thinking of is Spade or Manson. All
                        >
                        > suggestions welcome.
                        >

                        > Stephen Lowden CN35#190 'Malfi'

                        > Get 5 GB of storage with Windows Live Hotmail.
                        > http://windowslive. com/Explore/ Hotmail?
                        ocid=TXT_TAGLM_ WL_hotmail_ acq_5gb_112008

                        Take your friends with you with Mobile Messenger. Click Here!
                      • Colin Campbell-Dunlop
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008

                          I am a big fan of the Bugel anchor.  It fits the bow roller very well and doesn’t clank around when sailing.  We keep the chain taught-ish when it is stowed but it also has a stainless retainer bar which goes through the bow roller, the anchor, out the other side and is secured with a pin.  Works really well.

                          Rgds

                          Colin

                          To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com
                          From: bluepearl@jps. net
                          Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:29:38 -0800

                          Sent: 12/9/2008 11:09:27 AM

                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008
                            Hi Colin,

                            Interesting. The Bugel is very popular all over the Med, so I guess we should have that one on the short-list too. Decisions, decisions! Is yours a 35lb?

                            Simon

                            To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                            From: colinj@...
                            Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 12:26:46 +0000

                            To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com
                            From: bluepearl@jps. net
                            Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:29:38 -0800

                            Sent: 12/9/2008 11:09:27 AM

                            wrote:

                            > Here's a link to an article that gives pros and cons of some of the
                            newer anchor designs.

                            > http://www.petersmi th.net.nz/ boat-anchors/ new-gen-boat- anchors-
                            explained.ph! p

                            > Jim
                            > S/V Alegria
                            > CN 35 #68
                            > To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com
                            > From: lowdens@...
                            > Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 09:33:02 +0000
                            > Subject: [campernicholson] Which anchors fit the shape of the CN35
                            bow-roller?

                            > Advice, please: I think it is about time to replace
                            our 30-year-old

                            > 35-lb CQR. Of course I could simply buy another of the same, but I
                            >
                            > wonder if any of the modern rigid designs are worth considering.
                            In

                            > particular, can anyone tell me which designs(if any)will rest on
                            the

                            > bow roller without bashing the gelcoat? We have long since given up
                            >
                            > stowing our anchor in the foredeck locker, because we use it so
                            >
                            > oft! en. Our present drill is to drag it up until the shank is
                            loosely

                            > horizontal, and then lash the shank down close to the deck, using
                            the

                            > same lashing to pull the hinged business-end of the anchor round
                            >
                            > sideways, thus stopping it from bouncing around in a seaway. It
                            would

                            > presumably be even simpler to lash a rigid design.
                            >

                            > Another thought: do I have to worry about whether the shank will
                            pass

                            > cleanly under the furling-gear? The CQR, which has a pretty long
                            >
                            > shank, has to be prevented from rearing up as it slides in and out
                            of

                            > the roller. Otherwise, it fouls the furling drum. I am wondering
                            if

                            > a shorter shank, perhaps curved, might behave more conveniently.
                            >

                            > The sort of design I am thinking of is Spade or Manson. All
                            >
                            > suggestions ! welcome.
                            >

                            > Stephen Lowden CN35#190 'M alfi'

                            > Get 5 GB of storage with Windows Live Hotmail.
                            > http://windowslive. com/Explore/ Hotmail?
                            ocid=TXT_TAGLM_ WL_hotmail_ acq_5gb_112008

                            Take your friends with you with Mobile Messenger. Click Here!

                            Great search results, great prizes. BigSnapSearch.com Search now
                          • Colin Campbell-Dunlop
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008

                              Hi, that is a good question.  I would say about 35lbs, I have never weighed it and there are no markings on it to give the weight so I just estimate.

                              We have been very happy with it.  It seems to dig in to most forms of holding very well and the problem is usually getting the thing back up again, especially in hard mud.

                              To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com
                              From: colinj@paradigmsear ch.com
                              Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 12:26:46 +0000

                              To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com