Re: [campernicholson] One step at a time

  • O. R. Armstrong
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 13 11:47 AM
      Dennis:

         The brokerage at the marina where we keep Yankee has sold two blue water boats to Europeans in the past year, perhaps due to the favorable exchange rates at present.

         Contact Yankee Point Sailing Marina in Lancaster, Virginia and talk to Ken Knull
         ken@...

      Russ Armstrong

      p.s. Even though our boat has the same name as the marina, I have no commercial involvement, no finder's fee, no nuthin' for passing this along.

      On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Dennis Gibbons <dkgibbons@...> wrote:

      Gang,
      As I have recently noted, I am seriously thinking of selling Dark Lady. As
      a first step, I am trying to figure out asking price and where to put her up
      (UK vs US, NE vs Chesapeake). I would truly value any information regarding
      recent (last 3 years) sales or purchases of a Nic 35. If you are hesitant
      to broadcast this information, email me directly.
      Thank you and feel free to talk me out of this
      Dennis Gibbons
      Dark Lady
      CN35-207
      dkgibbons at optonline dot net

    • galljj35
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 14 7:31 AM
        Dennis:

        The price difference betwen the US and UK always interested me. I
        wonder if it is related to the value added tax (VAT). I notice most
        UK boats are listed "tax paid", and at 17.5 % ( current UK VAT rate,
        I believe ) that would account for some - although not all the
        difference I've noticed.

        john

        --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Gibbons

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 14 10:24 AM
          Thats very true, and worthwhile remembering if you do eventually take
          Dark Lady across the pond. You would certainly have to pay the 17.5%
          VAT in order to import the vessel for sale to an EU resident. Tax rates
          may vary by country however, so it pays to research where's the best
          place to make entry.

          Graham

          galljj35 wrote:

          > Dennis:
          >
          > The price difference betwen the US and UK always interested me. I
          > wonder if it is related to the value added tax (VAT). I notice most
          > UK boats are listed "tax paid", and at 17.5 % ( current UK VAT rate,
          > I believe ) that would account for some - although not all the
          > difference I've noticed.
          >
          > john
          >
          > --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:campernicholson%40yahoogroups.com>, Dennis Gibbons
          > <dkgibbons@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Gang,
          > > As I have recently noted, I am seriously thinking of selling Dark
          > Lady. As
          > > a first step, I am trying to figure out asking price and where to
          > put her up
          > > (UK vs US, NE vs Chesapeake). I would truly value any information
          > regarding
          > > recent (last 3 years) sales or purchases of a Nic 35. If you are
          > hesitant
          > > to broadcast this information, email me directly.
          > > Thank you and feel free to talk me out of this
          > > Dennis Gibbons
          > > Dark Lady
          > > CN35-207
          > > dkgibbons at optonline dot net

          > Spam <http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=s&i=149602372&m=d5eb8c740b6a>
          > Not spam
          > <http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=n&i=149602372&m=d5eb8c740b6a>
          > Forget previous vote
          > <http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=f&i=149602372&m=d5eb8c740b6a>
        • Mary Verlaque
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 15 9:08 AM
            I am not an expert on VAT but I think there is a limitation on older boats. that is, if your boat was built prior to a certain date (is it 1985?)  it is exempt from VAT. Lots of our lovely Camper Nicholsons were built a while back. Worth checking.
            Mary / I Wanda.

          • Mary Verlaque
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 15 9:10 AM
              I am not an expert on VAT but I think there is a limitation on older boats. that is, if your boat was built prior to a certain date (is it 1985?)  it is exempt from VAT. Lots of our lovely Camper Nicholsons were built a while back. Worth checking.
              Mary / I Wanda.

            • solon_mhor
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 16 1:20 PM
                the question of if VAT need be paid on imported used/older boats
                intrigued me. found two web sites of interest: www.noonsite.com (a
                sailing forum in Europe with lots of good info) and www.hmrc.gov.uk
                (her majesty's revenue and customs). there is a VAT Special Provisions
                Order 1992, but it seems only to apply to repossessed boats. Noonsite
                provides several examples of where the importation might be either zero
                rated or tax exempt are (1)you can produce a VAT sales certificate
                proving that you paid the VAT (i.e., no intermediary purchaser); or (2)
                the import will be deemed VAT paid if it meets two criteria: the boat
                was in use as a private pleasure craft prior to January 1, 1985 and was
                physically located in EU waters on Dec 31, 1992 (in the case of
                Austria, Sweden, and Finland the dates are before Jan.1, 1987 and
                moored in EU waters as of Dec 31, 1994). My recommendation would be to
                consult with a VAT attorney or talk with HMRC before making the trip.
                good luck.
                SolonMhor

                --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Mary Verlaque <mcverlaque@...>

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 17 9:40 AM
                  I guess the short question is whether or not I can beat the VAT. I have
                  been indirectly told that if I have a backdated bill of sale to a British
                  resident and have removed any obvious signs of US ownership, it becomes a
                  "don't ask, don't tell" situation with all side looking the other way. No
                  certificate of VAT payment will need be produced as the boat is pre 1985.
                  Any more thoughts from you who are better versed on this subject
                  Dennis