Re: Digest Number 202

  • Jack & Cristina Staats
    Message 1 of 11 , May 18, 1999
      Dear Dennis and the group,

      We near completion of major boat projects. The only thing we really have to do is
      install some more batteries and get a windlass and install it. We finally decided
      on an electric one, but which one is still under consideration. If anyone has any
      recommendations, please let us know. To answer Dennis' questions. We do not have
      a chain pipe through the v-berth. I know older boats had onet, but ours does not.
      I do not know if it ever had one, but I suspect that it never did. I can only tell
      you that if we did have one, we would have removed it. Another boat, Random run,
      owned by Frank and Sherry Voorheis, had that pipe and took it out. To solve the
      ventilation problem, we installed an opening hatch in the head, and over the
      galley. The galley hatch vents under the dodger, but we felt that we needed a way
      to allow cooking vapors to escape, and this will do the trick. We also installed
      Hella fans in the main salon on each side of the bookcase on the port side, as well
      as in the v-berth. In addition, we insulated the headliner area with a low profile
      insulation specifically designed to keep heat out in hot areas. We also installed a
      new headliner. We are hopeful that the new insulation will make a difference in
      the tropics. We will let you know. We are looking into installing opening
      ports just over the stove and chart table, but are not sure if that is possible.

      Dennis, we plan on stopping in New York City, and spending some time seeing the
      sights. Can you recommend a place to berth that is convenient? We would love to
      stay on Manhattan if that is possible. I have made some inquiries, but information
      is slow in coming. We would love to connect with you folks and talk boats,
      especially Camper Nicholsons. We plan on being in the area in late July-early
      August, but we have no idea how long it will take us to get there. We plan to
      leisurely travel the Hudson, and suspect that the late July-early August timetable
      will allow for that. We will be checking our email regularly. Our only firm
      plans are to be in Annapolis a little before the boat show to have our rigging
      surveyed and replaced. After 25 years, it is time.

      I think I have answered all your questions, but if not I will answer them in our
      next communication.

      Sincerely, Cristina and Jack Staats aboard "Iona"
    • Jack & Cristina Staats
      Message 2 of 11 , May 18, 1999
        Dennis, I forgot to mention our anchors. We carry a 35 # CQR plow and a 22h
        Danforth, as well as a smaller lunch hook, a little Danforth ??h, which we only use
        for very short stops where there is no threat of dragging etc. We will probably
        pick up another anchor, like a Bruce or Spade, but we are not sure what we will
        need. We also might want another storm anchor. We are in the process of getting
        about 200 feet of 5/16 High tensile chain. We communicated with Camper Nicholson
        about the amount of chain, and they said that the boat was designed to carry about
        180 feet of chain without affecting the buoyancy--so that is what we will have.

        Now I think I have answered all your questions.

        Sincersly--Cristina Staats
        Message 3 of 11 , May 18, 1999
          Jack and Cristina,
          Thanks for the info.
          Where do you intend to store all that chain? If I store all my chain in the
          forpeak it definately effects trim. I am trying to get it to go under the
          V-berth.
          I think the Ideal Windless Co. in RI makes the best electric windless. I
          would like to get one once I figure out the problems stated above.

          Manhattan.
          There are moorings in the Hudson by the 79th Street boat basin and a new
          marinia up the west side near the northern tip. There is also an anxpensive
          one in Chelsea Pieres and a really expensive one in lower manhattan. The
          Waterway Guide should have more info. Keep me posted
          dennis-gibbons@...
          > Dennis, I forgot to mention our anchors. We carry a 35 # CQR plow and a
          22h
          > Danforth, as well as a smaller lunch hook, a little Danforth ??h, which we
          only use
          > for very short stops where there is no threat of dragging etc. We will
          probably
          > pick up another anchor, like a Bruce or Spade, but we are not sure what we
          will
          > need. We also might want another storm anchor. We are in the process of
          getting
          > about 200 feet of 5/16 High tensile chain. We communicated with Camper
          Nicholson
          > about the amount of chain, and they said that the boat was designed to
          carry about
          > 180 feet of chain without affecting the buoyancy--so that is what we will
          have.

          > Now I think I have answered all your questions.
          >
          > Sincersly--Cristina Staats

          > How many communities do you think join ONElist each day?
          > http://www.onelist.com
          > More than 1,000! Create yours now!
        • Denece &/or Bob Vincent
          Message 4 of 11 , May 18, 1999
            Pardon my $.02 here
            Two thoughts on chain-
            1. It may be a good idea to coordinate getting the chain and the
            windlass to be sure they match up well.
            2. It takes me 5 minutes to move the chain (yes all 200 feet) from
            forepeak to below the foreward half of the V-berth. Sort of a yucky job, but
            it made more sense than a chain hawse there! Since we use the area mostly
            for scuba gear in bags its not bad to move that out and plop it back on top
            of the chain.

            I am so jealous! 23 months and counting!

            Denece
            Blue Pearl
          • Jteipen@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 11 , May 18, 1999
              Some other comments on chain.....we have the hawse pipe which deposits about
              300 feet of 3/8 inch BBB chain in the lower part of the vee locker. It
              doesn't work very well mostly because the chain piles up too much. Our
              normal anchor weighing procedure is to start the engine, with me on the
              foredeck, I start bringing in the chain with the electric windlass. Anne is
              below in the vee berth in order to knock the pile of chain over from time to
              time. Once the anchor breaks free, I signal Anne by knocking on the deck.
              She then knocks the pile over one more time, and then leaves the forepeak to
              take the helm. Generally, I'm able to bring the anchor in the rest of the
              way without any more pile knocking. Certainly a pain but still I prefer
              using the chain with our 35 lb CQR anchor and we've never had her drag with
              this set up. We also have 250 feet of 1 inch nylon braid in the forward deck
              anchor locker but it doesn't get much use. I have never noticed any buoyancy
              problems and she floats properly on her lines.

              I wish I could tell you what brand of windlass we have. However, I could
              never find any markings on it whatsoever....I suspect that it is original
              equipment. It is one of the horizontal type which has the chain gypsy on one
              side and a line capstan on the other. It's extremely heavy duty.....there
              are two 40 amp circuit breakers near the main battery switches dedicated to
              the windlass. The windlass is operated via a foot switch which is rubber
              sealed and flush mounted on the deck near the windlass.

              If you are considering a windlass, it is important to match the windlass to
              the size and type of chain. There is a good explanation of this concept and
              the types of chain in the West Marine catalog.

              Jim Teipen
              S/V Alegria
              CN 35 #68
              Message 6 of 11 , May 19, 1999
                Jim,

                Thanks for the chain pipe input. Where on the deck is the electric windless
                mounted?
                dennis-gibbons@...

              • Jteipen@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 11 , May 20, 1999
                  Dennis,

                  I could take some exact measurements next time I'm on the boat but roughly it
                  is mounted in the center of the triangle formed by the forepeak storage area.
                  The hawse pipe opening is on the starboard side of the windlass and angles
                  slightly below decks to midship and drops the chain throught the floor of the
                  forepeak compartment. There is a small lift out lid in the floor which gives
                  access to the chain locker. The hawse pipe itself is completely glassed in
                  so that water can't enter the boat. Any water entering the hawse pipe either
                  from the chain or from water over the bow can enter the chain locker and is
                  drained out through a hose in the bottom of the locker to a small opening
                  about a foot above the water line on the starboard side.

                  Jim
                  S/V Alegria
                  CN 35 #68
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 21, 1999
                    Jim,

                    If I understand you correctly,
                    1. windless is over forepeak.
                    2. Forepeak has removable floor
                    3. Hawsepipe goes through forepeak into area under center v-berth
                    4. I don't see how hawse pipe can lead to chain locker yet drain . Is the
                    drain the same one as for the anchor locker? That would seam rather high to
                    drain a locker.
                    If you would be so kind as to explain.

                    I am taking today to begin working out the installation of my SL72 radar. I
                    am usingthe Waltz backstay mount. Wish me luck/.

                  • Jteipen@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 26, 1999
                      Dennis,

                      I took some rough measurements when I was on the boat last weekend. The
                      windlass is located about 45 inches aft of the shreave of the bow roller and
                      is offset slightly to starboard. It's about 18 inches from the starboard cap
                      rail and roughly 24 inches from the port cap rail. On Alegria, there is a
                      trapazoidal raised portion of the deck which is perhaps 1/2 inch thicker than
                      the rest of the deck and maybe about 1 square foot which looks to me like
                      it's made specifically for mounting a windlass. Does Dark Lady have the
                      same? You are correct regarding the drain....the drain I mentioned actually
                      drains the deck anchor locker and is located above the forepeak floor which
                      forms the top of the chain locker. The entire floor of the forepeak area
                      doesn't isn't removable, there is a small lid in it which lifts up to give
                      access to the chain locker. The hawse pipe deposits the chain forward of the
                      v berth bulkhead, any water drains into the bilge.

                      Hope that helps

                      Jim Teipen
                      SV Alegria
                      CN 35 #68
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 27, 1999
                        Jim,
                        Sounds like your electric windless (did you tell me which brand you have?)
                        is where my SL HiSpeed is located. Your description of the forepeek floor
                        is similar to a drawing I got from CN but theirs allows a passage way
                        through the bulkhead to the forward end of the V-berth. I will try
                        something like that so I can move the chain aft (even if by hand) for
                        offshore passages.
                        dennis-gibbons@...

                      • BarryR8195@xxx.xxx
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 27, 1999
                          The trapezoidal area on the foredeck is reinforced and designed for a
                          windlass. Our boat (C&N 35 # 151, "WILDFLOWER") came with a Simpson
                          Lawrence 555 manual windlass. That's the heavy duty on. It has worked very
                          well!--Barry Roberts