Re: [campernicholson] Mid Atlantic Rendezvous

  • Jeffrey Moorman
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2008
      Hi Tom,

      The sailboat show is Oct 9-13... how about the weekend before in Oxford or Solomons?

      Jeff

      Nic 35 "La Boheme"
      Annapolis

    • solon_mhor
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 4, 2008
        If we should vote on the rendezvous, let's firm up the date now for
        Oct 4-5 (the week before the Annapolis show and two weeks before the
        USPS District 5 regatta). We can poll or vote on the venue in the
        next couple of weeks. Depending on what Hanna/Ike/Josephine do, we
        may have to change plans.

        Charles (Chip) Yost
        Solon Mhor
        CN 30, #23

        P.S., Coast Pilot is a little confusing on the depth in Oxford
        indicating on the one hand that the controlling channel into the
        marina on Town Creek is only 4-1/2 to 5 feet, but on the other hand
        that the depth at the ferry is 14 feet. The water depth at Mill Creek
        in Solomons is 14 feet going down to 9 or 6, depending on how far you
        go; the depth at the anchorage in Mill Creek above the route 4
        Governor Thomas bridge is 9 to 12 feet.

        --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Moorman" <jeff@...>

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 4, 2008
          Depth in Town Creek is around 11.5-12.5 feet, all the way from the entrance channel right up to Hinckley's yard (Crocket Bros) and beyond.  Anchorage in Town Creek is somewhat limited, with the popular areas being just off the Oxford Boatyard docks, and in the entrance to Cemetry Cove.  Holding is ok, so long as you get your anchor set in the hard clay, rather than the soft mud top surface.  There is probably room for 6-8 boats at anchor, maybe more if you raft together.

          Dockage at Mears Marina runs about $2.00/ft, and they have a swiming pool, cable tv and a good sized picnic/bbq area under the trees.  Dockage at Oxford Boatyard is a similar cost, but with somewhat less transient-friendly amenities (no cable or swiming pool), however we do have the advantage of firsthand intimate knowledge of VW diesels.... :)

          Last weekend I was over in Solomons, and can report carrying 8.5-10.0 feet depth all the way to the very end of Back Creek.  Be warned that its a very busy creek, with the anchorage near Zanheisers being very congested with mooring balls and double-anchor setups.  Further up the creek, alongside Spring Cove Marina and beyond, you'll probably find more room and less traffic.  Check out the dinghy dock facilities at the Maritime Museum, which is within a short walk of a West Marine.

          Have fun everyone, wherever you all decide to hold the rendezvous!
          Graham
          Ex owner of CN35 #220
          Gen. Mgr Oxford Boatyard

          wrote:

          > Hi Tom,

          > The sailboat show is Oct 9-13... how about the weekend before in
          Oxford or Solomons?

          > Jeff
          >
          > Nic 35 "La Boheme"
          > Annapolis

        • Thomas J. Stanton
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 5, 2008
            The dates are fine with me.  Again I would vote for the Solomons, but either is fine.  There are shallows in the Oxford Harbor, but they are easy to avoid.  As always, it may have to be subject to the weather.

            Tom Stanton
            Discovery C&N 40 ac

            wrote:

            > Hi Tom,

            > The sailboat show is Oct 9-13... how about the weekend before in
            Oxford or Solomons?

            > Jeff
            >
            > Nic 35 "La Boheme"
            > Annapolis

          • Tom
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 5, 2008
              Dates are fine with me also. The Mill creek near Solomons Charles
              spoke of sounds interesting. When I go to Solomons I usually anchor in
              the Mill creek that is NE of Back Creek But have never been to the
              other Mill Creek. Back creek is to busy for me. Oxford is nice also. I
              would enjoy either. Maybe we can initial the get together in one place
              and have a day sail or friendly race... to the other? Of course
              weather will dictate. A beat into the wind would not be much fun so
              maybe initiate on the upwind port and end on the downwind port? just a
              though...

              Cheers,

              Tom
              CN35-199 Dream
              417-455-6789 cell

              --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas J. Stanton"
              <tstanton@...> wrote:

              > The dates are fine with me. Again I would vote for the Solomons,
              but either is fine. There are shallows in the Oxford Harbor, but they
              are easy to avoid. As always, it may have to be subject to the weather.

              > Tom Stanton
              > Discovery C&N 40 ac

            • O. R. Armstrong
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 10, 2008
                October 4-5 is fine with us, too. We're still up on the hard down near the Rappahannock River, but we have relatives in Northern Virginia, and would certainly come out to attend the Nick Fest, wherever y'all decide to hold it. Gosh, it would be nice to set foot on the deck of a CN 35 that's floating!

                  Russ and Betsy
                  CN35-99 Yankee

                p.s. I vote we extend an honorary invitation to Graham Norbury.

                <tstanton@...> wrote:

                > The dates are fine with me. Again I would vote for the Solomons,
                but either is fine. There are shallows in the Oxford Harbor, but they
                are easy to avoid. As always, it may have to be subject to the weather.

                > Tom Stanton
                > Discovery C&N 40 ac

              • Peter Walzer
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 12, 2008

                  I plan on attending (CN39). Are any activities planned? Is it just show up and see which boat has the most beer?

                  Peter Walzer

                  CN39/02

                  <tstanton@.. .> wrote:

                  > The dates are fine with me. Again I would vote for the Solomons,
                  but either is fine. There are shallows in the Oxford Harbor , but they
                  are easy to avoid. As always, it may have to be subject to the weather.

                  > Tom Stanton
                  > Discovery C&N 40 ac

                  Solomons?

                  > > Jeff
                  > >
                  > > Nic 35 "La Boheme"
                  > > Annapolis

                • wtrevarthen
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 12, 2008
                    --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tom1us2001a@...> wrote:
                    >Hi all,
                    Have we decided on Mill creek near the Solomons? If so,since I've
                    never been there, is there a special place to anchor. It would be
                    nice if everybody could be fairly close.

                    Winston
                    cn/35-49
                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > Were almost in September! Any news for a date of the Rendezvous? My
                    > calendar is fairly open but need to schedule. I look forward to the
                    > gathering.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Tom
                    > CN-35
                    > s/v Dream

                  • solon_mhor
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 12, 2008
                      I'm not pushing it Mill Creek (either one) as a venue, and I'm
                      intrigued by the Solomons to Oxford (or vice versa) day sail idea,
                      although it would be a longish day sail.

                      Here's a brief description of Mill Creek: located roughly 2.9 miles
                      up the Patuxtant from Solomons, sharing a common entrance with
                      Cuckold Creek--pass under the Thomas Johnson (state Route 4 bridge
                      with a vertical clearance of 140') and past Point Patience for about
                      0.9 miles. daybeacons mark a shoal and the channel. you can see
                      Clarks Wharf (depth about 6 feet at the dock) on the peninsula
                      between Cuckold Creek and Mill Creek. Cuckold Creek extends
                      northwestard from the entrance while Mill Creek goes southwest. I
                      have rafted with as many as 8 boats together in the basin in Mill
                      Creekand there were a lot of other boats in the basin as well at the
                      time. Here's a rough lat-long position for reference: N38 deg 20 min
                      06 sec, W076 deg, 30 min 09 sec.

                      I don't have experience with the other Mill Cr and will defer to
                      someone who does or knows of a good gathering spot. Coast Pilot
                      indicates that Mill Cr (which shares a common entrance with Back
                      Creek at Solomons but splits off and goes north eastward) has depths
                      of 16 to 12 feet for 1.2 mils and then 10 to 4 feet for another mile.
                      Like another CNer said, Back Cr is pretty busy, although it may slow
                      down by the first weekend of Oct.
                      Regards,
                      Charles Yost
                      Solon Mhor
                      CN30, #23

                      --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tom1us2001a@> wrote:
                      > >Hi all,
                      > Have we decided on Mill creek near the Solomons? If so,since
                      I've
                      > never been there, is there a special place to anchor. It would be
                      > nice if everybody could be fairly close.
                      >
                      > Winston
                      > cn/35-49
                      > > Hi all,
                      > >
                      > > Were almost in September! Any news for a date of the Rendezvous?
                      My
                      > > calendar is fairly open but need to schedule. I look forward to
                      the
                      > > gathering.
                      > >
                      > > Regards,
                      > >
                      > > Tom
                      > > CN-35
                      > > s/v Dream

                    • Jeffrey Moorman
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 23, 2008
                        Hey Gang,

                        If you can stick around till the following weekend there is this...The "Good old Boat Regatta"

                        Just a note to inform you of the Good Old Boat Regatta coming up in
                        Annapolis, Maryland on October 11 and 12. That is the Saturday and
                        Sunday of the Annapolis Sailboat show as usual. A combined visit is a
                        great thing. Those of you who have competed in the past know that we
                        have a lot of fun and some amount of boat bragging.

                        The Good Old Boat Regatta is an informal racing event that celebrates
                        classic boats. To compete, a boat has to be of a design whose first
                        hull was built no later than 1975. Most classes will not fly
                        spinnakers. The courses will be around Government navigation marks just
                        like we did it in the "old" days (courses of 5 to 10 miles). If 3 or
                        more boats of a given single design participate, then that class can be
                        scored separately with separate awards. In addition to one designs, we
                        have handicap rating fleets of full keel and fin keel boats. If you
                        don't have a handicap rating not to worry. We'll make one up for you.
                        We also have a special awards for best performance by an all woman crew
                        and the best performance by a non-racer.

                        There will be a skippers meeting Friday evening October 10, with single
                        races on October 11 and 12. There are parties following the races on
                        Saturday AND Sunday with awards and refreshments. We often have a music
                        fest on Saturday with some hot musicians from the sailing fleet.

                        You can enter a boat for either day or both days. We set an early
                        response date so that we can determine fleet compositions for scoring
                        purposes, but a little stretching is not out of the question. After
                        all, we make up the rules. This event belongs to us in our classic
                        boats.

                        We would love to hear from you if you will be in the area. Please
                        contact Charlie Husar if you are interested in participating in this
                        celebration of sailing. He can be reached at:

                        410-266-6216
                        husar_charlie@...

                        Cheers
                        Charlie