BEST PLACE TO LAY UP OUT OF THE WATER IN FLORIDA

  • Don
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 26, 2008
      Hi,

      I am looking for recomendations for laying up out of the water in
      Florida which will give me easy access to the Bahamas for cruising in
      the winter months.

      Thanks
      Don
      Nic 35 "Saunterer"
    • BarryR8195@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 26, 2008
        When do you want to lay up? If it will include hurricane season, the best place is Indiantown Marina on the St. Lucie Waterway.  They provide hurricane tie downs.  It is about as safe a place as you will find anywhere in Florida.

        Barry Roberts

      • JOHN LARSON
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 26, 2008
          Don

          We have friends who for years laid up at Indiantown and now have moved to Glades  across the waterway.  The rules and problems at Indiantown were to much for them.  We've used Harbortown at Cape Canaveral.  It's a nice place and a mile or two off the ocean.  The best part is that there's a canal and lock between it and the ocean, so no surge can get in there.   The canal west of the lock is used as a hurricane hole by the locals.

          The trick is to find some place with room.

          John Larson
          s/v Passport CN 35-85
        • Jeff Avery
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 26, 2008
             In the middle of the state ( Florida ) the is a place called " The Glades " . It is on the Caloosahatchee river which is accessable from either Port St. Lucie on the East coast or Ft. Myers on the West coast . Because it is in the middle of the state it is relatively safe from anything other than a direct hit from a hurricane .They have a 5 acre lot behind the working boatyard for storage .  It is an " old fashion " boatyard , meaning that you can work on your boat yourself , dirt work area , and 10 miles to the nearest town . I have had my CN 38 Ketch hauled there several times and have made the complete crossing a couple of times . Lake Okeechobee can get shallow during certain times of the year .
             If you are interested I can get you the phone number and I would be willing to help "pilot" you there from either side ( no charge , except some juice and a sandwich during the ride ) .

            Jeff Avery
            S/V Valkyrie
          • Denece Vincent
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 26, 2008
              PLEASE!! Be aware that there is only 3.3 feet of water in Lake Okeechobee!!!!
              Glades is still accessible from the Gulf side but you cannot get there from the East!!  Also they have raised their prices and may not be competitve with Indiantown. Also, there are NO chandleries anywhere near Glades.
              I shold know, its only three miles from here!

              Denecen

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 29, 2008

                Well, we are not in Florida... but St. Mary's Georgia is right across the river! Few hurricaines and easy access via St. Mary's inlet to the Atlantic Ocean. When we took off June 23 there was room for 3-4 boats in the 30-45' range on the hard. Nice small DIY yard (St. Mary's Boat Services). If interested call Roger Waskett, 912-674-5802; FAX 912-576-2397

                Mary & Christian Verlaque / I Wanda

              • DON CLELAND
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 5, 2008
                  Thanks for all the information.