Neco autopilot

  • chivaree@ix.netcom.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 7, 1998
      From: Jack Staats S/V Iona

      Chris & others

      We have a Neco autopilot on Iona #135. Two years ago we broke off the
      sensitivity knob from the control head in the cockpit. Our local
      electronics expert (Seaview electronics) could not help us. While at the
      Annapolis sailboat show in 1996 we stopped in at the dealer who installed
      the Neco in 1976. He had the parts, fixed it in less than a week & shipped
      it back to Michigan. The unit works flawlessly.

      Contact:
      Electronic Marine
      418 Fourth St.
      Annapolis, MD 21403
      (301) 268-8101

      Chris I will call you before you leave. I would like to talk with you or
      perhaps meet.

      jack (810) 778-1815
    • christian ditleff
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 12, 2004
        I have just bought a Nicholson 40 ketch, and I am happier than ever.
        There is some repair and spareparts needed for the NECO autopilot.
        Aperantly http://www.walkermarine.com still sell parts for NECO, and I
        just wanted to inform you about that.

        BTW Does anyone know how I can get bluewprints for th CN 40?
        I am also interested in the maintenance manual for Perkins 4.108

        Best Regards
        Chris D
      • BarryR8195@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 12, 2004
          There is an electronics repair shop in Ft. Lauderdayl that has parts for the NECO autopilot.  We had ours repaired  and it now works fine.--Barry Roberts
        • JIM TEIPEN
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 12, 2004
            I replaced the Nico autopilot on my Nich 35 a couple of years ago and have
            all of the major components along with some spares that I picked up over the
            years, including 2 control boxes, 2 compass units, the drive motor and the
            mechanical drive that went between the motor and the rudder. Everything is
            just taking up space in my garage so if anyone can use some of this, let me
            know.

            Jim
            Alegria
            CN 35 #68

            >From: BarryR8195@... Reply-To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com To:
            >campernicholson@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [campernicholson] Neco
            >autopilot Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 09:56:08 EST
            >
            >There is an electronics repair shop in Ft. Lauderdayl that has parts for
            >the NECO autopilot. We had ours repaired and it now works fine.--Barry
            >Roberts
          • Albert G. Boyce
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 12, 2004

              Did you have the rotary drive installation?  If so, when you replaced it did you use a rotary drive or a linear drive that is attached directly to the rudder post?

              Al Boyce
              Discovery CN 35 132
              I replaced the Nico autopilot on my Nich 35 a couple of years ago and have
              all of the major components along with some spares that I picked up over the
              years, including 2 control boxes, 2 compass units, the drive motor and the
              mechanical drive that went between the motor and the rudder.  Everything is
              just taking up space in my garage so if anyone can use some of this, let me
              know.

              Jim
              Alegria
              CN 35 #68

              >From: BarryR8195@... Reply-To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com To:
              >campernicholson@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [campernicholson] Neco
              >autopilot Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 09:56:08 EST
              >
              >There is an electronics repair shop in Ft. Lauderdayl that has parts for
              >the NECO autopilot.  We had ours repaired  and it now works  fine.--Barry
              >Roberts

            • JIM TEIPEN
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 12, 2004
                Al,
                I replaced everything with a B&G Network Pilot that has a linear hydraulic
                ram. The ram is attached to a short tiller arm that is mounted directly on
                the rudder post.

                Jim

                >From: "Albert G. Boyce" <Albert_Boyce@...>
                >To: <campernicholson@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: RE: [campernicholson] Neco autopilot
                >Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:31:42 -0500
                >
                >Jim
                >
                >Did you have the rotary drive installation? If so, when you replaced it
                >did
                >you use a rotary drive or a linear drive that is attached directly to the
                >rudder post?
                >

                >Al Boyce
                >Discovery CN 35 132

              • colin_cd
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 26, 2006
                  Dear All,

                  I was wondering if anyone is still using the Neco AP set up some of
                  the boats were fitted with.

                  We have one on board Trutz and had pretty much written it off.
                  However, we got it going on a trip back from the West Country last
                  week and it is great.

                  However, we have one small problem. It has a tendency to refuse to
                  let go of the steering when we switch it off.

                  I don't really know much about the system but I suspect that a
                  magnetic clutch is jamming and not letting the electric motor
                  disengage from the hydraulic drive.

                  The head unit by the wheel is a bit old and weathered but the switch
                  seems to work fine.

                  I just wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this problem
                  and, if so, what was the solution?

                  Ultimately I will be replacing the Neco gyro compass and head unit
                  etc with a Raymarine version but until then it would be nice to be
                  able to trust the current set up.

                  All the best

                  Colin

                  Trutz 35/225
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 27, 2006
                    I have had a similar problem with my Raytheon (sp). The recommend a "panic"
                    switch to turn of the 12 volt to the unit. I just dive down the companion
                    way and hit the switch on the panel.

                    Dennis
                    Dark Lady