Re: Engine seawater intake

  • Denece &/or Bob Vincent
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 22, 1999
      Really?? Are you sure this is not a problem caused by the PO ? We had all
      Blakes thru-hull/sea cocks on all the "holes in the boat". The owners
      manual I have shows gate valves at the strainer (mine are part of the
      strainer replacement) and we did have one gate valve at the exhaust , which
      looks like a PO replacement (he had an awful boatyard do a lot of the
      up-keep).
      Anyway, common opinion is that if you HAVE a gate valve (whether or not it
      leaks ) it is time to replace it.

      Denece
    • York-Miller, Michael
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 23, 1999
        I have replaced both the galley sink drain and engine intake gate valves
        with seacocks on Vortex. I believe that seacocks are much less liable to
        corrode and fail without warning. Furthermore, gate valves have a nasty
        habit of developing "sticking points" which can make you think you have
        opened/closed them when in fact you have not.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 23, 1999
          Hi: We are replacing the engine water intake witha seacock. I was just
          curious why C & N used the gate valves originally. The gate valves are shown
          in the owners manual, so I'm pretty sure that they were installed by C & N
          when the boat was built and not subsequently.
          By the way, look for Wildflower on the Chesapeake this
          summer. Late Sept or early Oct we'll be heading south.--Barry & Joan
          Roberts, Wildflower, C & N 35 #151.
        • Jteipen@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 23, 1999
            Alegria has a ball valve, an Apollo I think, on the engine intake. It
            clearly is not an original. The only gate valves that I have seen are on the
            cockpit drain hoses.

            Jim
            S/V Alegria
            CN 35