Re: Cabin side ports

  • bvitalius
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 17, 2008
      Roger, I am back to the replacement of the fixed side ports project.
      Brewers ( Gebo's retail distributor) sent me the wrong gaskets. I had
      pictures you had provided of the "right' gaskets but have changed
      computers and can not locate them. Would you mind resending them or
      reminding me how to access them?
      Thank you,
      Bob
      Blythe Spirit
      --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "rogerlud" <pknight107@...>
      wrote:

      > Bob
      >
      > I replaced all four port seals in 2002. I hsve pictures of the
      > rubber seal in Photos under 'Gebo Port Gasket'. Getting the rubber
      > gasket in was no easy thing, I worked the gasket in by pressing it
      > in using soapy water in squit bottle for lubricant and used a
      > tablespoon to smooth it in place as I went along.
      >
      > What are you using between the glass and aluminum frame?
      > I tried a silcone sealant but after 2 attempts couldn't get a water
      > tight seal, so on third try I used a ribbon sealant I got from a
      > local auto windshield shop. It worked great still no leaks. I got
      > the smallest diameter he had and stretch it out thinner, excess
      will
      > squeese out on the outside glass, which is a pain to clean up.
      Note
      > no leaks in 5+ years.
      >
      > Your screws for the frame must be longer than mine, but the holes
      > that looked too large I used a little epoxy or polester resin.
      >
      > It's a lot easier when done by two people.
      >
      > Hope this helps!
      >
      > Roger
      >
      > Pagan Knight N31/107
      >

      > --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "bvitalius"
      > <bob.vitalius@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have a Nic 31 and have just pulled the side cabin ports out to
      > > replace the "glass" (lexan). These are the long 5' non opening
      ones
      > in
      > > the main cabin. I don't know whether they are similar from one
      Nic
      > > model to another but they kind of look the same (at least from a
      > > distance) as on the the 35 and 39. I have ordered new gaskets and
      > new
      > > lexan. Has anyone else had experience with this project. The
      > outside
      > > frame (aluminum extrusion) was screwed into the inside frame with
      > self
      > > tapping screws. The pointed ends of the screws were apparently
      cut
      > off
      > > to accomdate the vinyl interior trim. In the process they bunged
      up
      > > many of the holes so self tapping screws may not be the
      replacement
      > > answer. I am considering dilling out the interior frame and
      > replacing
      > > the self tapping screws with bolts and nuts. I think that means
      the
      > > interior vinyl molding will no longer fit (over the nuts).
      > > Thoughts?
      > > Additionally, has anyone had experience with replacing the gasket
      > that
      > > holds the "glass" in the frame. When I pulled the old gasket out
      > > realized my fears that it was going to be a b...h to get the new
      > one
      > > in, fit and seated properly. Any intructions to offer? Is there
      > some
      > > kind of tool to get the gasket in? Any ideas appreciated.
      > > Bob V. Blythe Spirit

    • mcverlaque
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 28, 2008
        We are in the process of replacing the "glass" in our side ports, too,
        and found the gasket pictured under "Gebo Port Gasket" looks almost
        identical to the one we have removed. Does anyone know where the Gebo
        Gasket can be acquired and is there a part number?

        Thanks
        Mary & Christian / S/V I Wanda a Nicholson 40 pilothouse sloop
      • Vitalius, Bob
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 28, 2008

          Mary & Christian

          I am replacing the stationary reports on Blythe Spirit, my Nic 31. I don’t know whether they are the same with the same gaskets you may need. The Gebo retail representative in US is:

          Brewers Pilots Point Maina

          Westbrook, Conn.

          860-399-7906

          The person I am working with in the parts dept. is John Werner.  jwerner@...

          They get the gaskets from Wabesto.

          John is working on getting me the correct gasket right now. ( they had sent me the wrong one) I went over the photo’s with him as we both viewed them on the computer while on a phone call. We decided that it would be best to actually send him a sample of the old gasket I have removed. He received them Weds. and when I talked to him yesterday he was working with Wabasto to identify exactly the right one. I told him once we solved it I would post the part # on this site and he should mark his files so as other CN owners call he will have a good handle on it.

          I will keep you posted.

          Bob

          Blythe Spirit -Nic 31

          We are in the process of replacing the "glass" in our side ports, too,
          and found the gasket pictured under "Gebo Port Gasket" looks almost
          identical to the one we have removed. Does anyone know where the Gebo
          Gasket can be acquired and is there a part number?

          Thanks
          Mary & Christian / S/V I Wanda a Nicholson 40 pilothouse sloop

        • William E. Roesner
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 29, 2008
            Bob,
            I'm following your ordeal re port light gasketing with great interest
            and much sympathy. I hope you document it well as I'll be one of your
            next customers.
            Cheers to you and Mary and Christian,
            Bill R.
            SV Blueprint
            CN31-113

            On Mar 28, 2008, at 6:29 PM, Vitalius, Bob wrote:

            > Mary & Christian
            >
            > I am replacing the stationary reports on Blythe Spirit, my Nic 31. I
            > don’t know whether they are the same with the same gaskets you may
            > need. The Gebo retail representative in US is:
            >
            > Brewers Pilots Point Maina
            >
            > Westbrook, Conn.
            >
            > 860-399-7906
            >
            > The person I am working with in the parts dept. is John Werner.
            > jwerner@...
            >
            > They get the gaskets from Wabesto.
            >
            > John is working on getting me the correct gasket right now. ( they had
            > sent me the wrong one) I went over the photo’s with him as we both
            > viewed them on the computer while on a phone call. We decided that it
            > would be best to actually send him a sample of the old gasket I have
            > removed. He received them Weds. and when I talked to him yesterday he
            > was working with Wabasto to identify exactly the right one. I told him
            > once we solved it I would post the part # on this site and he should
            > mark his files so as other CN owners call he will have a good handle
            > on it.
            >
            > I will keep you posted.
            >
            > Bob
            >
            > Blythe Spirit -Nic 31

          • iona350
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 30, 2008
              Mary and Christian and the group,

              Jack and I had problems with the port lights, or side lights or
              whateven you call them--the tempered glass side windows on IONA. The
              gaskets were shot!! They didn't leak on a light rainy day, but with
              waves crashing about, or a hard driving rain, they leaked badly. We
              were in a quandry as to how to fix them when we discovered "coax
              seal". Actually we were in Bermuda when the problem first appeared
              and we had to do something in a hurry or forever be wet everytime we
              used the head, and coax seal was the only thing that remotely seemed
              suitable. So it was in desperation that we first fixed the head
              window with this stuff. Once we saw how well it worked we brought
              lots back in our luggage and did all the rest of the windows. What
              do they dsy about necessity being the mother on invention? I am sure
              the inventors never dreamed of the many uses this tape would see.

              On our CN 35, as on all, I think, there is a moulded recess where the
              gasket fits, then the tempered glass window, then a crome frame that
              holds everything in place, fitted into a moulded flange screwed in
              place. We took all this apart, one window at a time. We cleaned out
              the old gasket--much of which fell in dried-out and crumbled pieces
              into our hands( no wonder the windows leaked!). We cleaned off the
              recess with solvents etc so that it was really clean. Then we
              placed the sticky coax seal into the gasket recess. We carefully
              reset the window and chrome frame; bedded all the frame screws with
              good bedding compound and voila! no more leaks.

              The coax seal is cheap and easy to buy at almost any hardware, or TV
              place, etc, but Radio Shack has it in abundance. It is a pliable,
              sticky, black, rubbery type stuff that is about 1/2 inch wide and
              comes in a roll with wax paper separation in the roll because it
              sticks to itself and almost anything else. It is used in VHF marine
              radio applications where the coax fitting attaches to the antenna.
              It keeps out water and salt, etc from messing up the connections.
              We have found lots of other uses for the stuff on the boat aside from
              its obvious and intended use.

              We realize that this is not a permanent fix (but then neither was the
              original stuff. But so far--crossed fingers--the stuff is still
              pliable and keeping out the water. We keep rolls of this aboard and
              found this to be a cheap and easy fix that really works.

              I am not sure that the windows on your CN 40 are the same, but, hey,
              its worth a try--the worst that can happen is that it doesn't work,
              and you will have little invested except a bit of time. But I think
              you might be surprised.

              Sincerely, Crissie Staats -- IONA -- CN 35 # 135
            • JIM TEIPEN
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 30, 2008
                We discovered some leakage of the side ports during our return from Hawaii to California in the summer of 2005.  It wasn't exactly a river but just enough to drive us crazy when trying to use the main salon bunks.  Over the following winter, we resealed all of the ports using clear silicone sealant.  It looks great and no more leakage problems so far.  We also replaced both of the deck hatches and completely disassembled and resealed all parts of the main hatch.  A lot of work but a dry boat is nice to have!

                Jim
                Alegria
                CN 35 - 68

                To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
                  'Coax' may also be known as 'glazing tape' available from commercial
                  window fabricators / glass window shops. The port lights in the
                  Nicholson 31 were originally installed using this material and it is an
                  extremely effective product.
                  Bill
                  SV Blueprint
                  CN31-113

                • Denece Vincent
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
                    We put this stuff on in about '95-6 and its still good. What we got was called Sika tape.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008

                      Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 7:25 PM
                      Subject: RE: [campernicholson] Re: Cabin side ports