Steering problem

  • colin_cd
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
      Dear All,

      we seem to have a steering problem on Trutz. She is out of the water
      at the moment and has been for the last six months.

      I have noticed that it is now quite difficult to move the wheel.
      There is some play in the wheel but when the slack is taken up it is
      very hard to move the rudder.

      My suspicion is that the top bearing may be dry and that having been
      out of the water for some months now the problem has got worse.

      Thing is, I have no experience of servicing the rudder bearing and
      was wondering if anyone else had tackled this job?

      I am not sure of the condition of the bottom bearing but would think
      it was ok. There isn't much clearance between the rudder itself and
      the bearing cup at the bottom though, almost as though the rudder is
      sitting too low.

      Any thoughts or comments will be much appreciated.

      Many thanks

      Colin

      Trutz
    • kenatkinson
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
        Colin

        We had this done to Dagmara about 12 years ago by a marine engineer. I was too scared to attempt it myself.

        We were not sure of the condition of the bearings.

        He removed the bottom bearing cup which is bolted to the bottom of the skeg. these bolts were hidden under filler etc which faired the skeg foot.

        This allowed the rudder to be dropped, the problem being ground clearance. A small hole was excavated to allow this.

        The top bearing was replaced with new packing which, I must admit, we have not touched since.

        The big issue is access to the quadrant which is why I used a Marine engineer.

        Ken Atkinson

        Dagmara II 35-154

        --

        This email has been verified as Virus free.

      • Steve Perry

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
            --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "colin_cd" <colinj@...> wrote:

            > Dear All,
            >
            > we seem to have a steering problem on Trutz. She is out of the
            water
            > at the moment and has been for the last six months.
            >
            > I have noticed that it is now quite difficult to move the wheel.
            > There is some play in the wheel but when the slack is taken up it
            is
            > very hard to move the rudder.
            >
            > My suspicion is that the top bearing may be dry and that having
            been
            > out of the water for some months now the problem has got worse.
            >
            > Thing is, I have no experience of servicing the rudder bearing and
            > was wondering if anyone else had tackled this job?
            >
            > I am not sure of the condition of the bottom bearing but would
            think
            > it was ok. There isn't much clearance between the rudder itself
            and
            > the bearing cup at the bottom though, almost as though the rudder
            is
            > sitting too low.
            >
            > Any thoughts or comments will be much appreciated.
            >
            > Many thanks
            >
            > Colin
            >
            > Trutz

            Hi Colin
            We discovered that there's at least one other possible bearing point
            to be considered. After re-packing the upper stuffing box and
            replacing the lower yellow-metal bearing with nylon, the steering was
            still stiff. The culprit turned out to be an alloy component in
            contact with the s/s spindle holding the wheel/steering chain in the
            wheel pedestal. The alloy had 'growed' but was easily cleaned off
            which solved the problem.
            Best wishes
            Bob
            35/29 Nixie
          • simon allard
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
              Colin,

              I do have some thoughts and suggestions if you would like to remind me of your number, I will give you a call.
              I think the nylon bearing failure was common only to the older 'A' frame pedestal type and I suspect yours is the newer Edson single pedestal like mine. ( I have replaced these bearings)
              I think problems do start to occur when the lower pintle becomes loose and as you say the rudder than effectively grinds on the shoe.
              I have met a very nice and clever guy here in Bristol that is retsporing a Nic35 and he has the rudder off currently. We have talked a lot and I have been able to understand the components better for seeing them. I think you may like to have a chat with him direct.
              My ongoing problem only sees the steering get a little stiffer when turning to port and under way. Having spoken at length to Geoff I think I have a slightly loose lower pintle that allows the rudder to move out of true when under way. Geoff has shown me that with lower movement the upper gland will tighten.
              My problem however is only when under way, on the morring or out of the water the steering feels fine - however I no longer have the required gap above the shoe.
              Now I have met Geoff I will remove the rudder next year and with his help reglass the pintle so it cannot move again.
              Simon
              p.s - what happened to Nic flags

              colin_cd <colinj@...> wrote:
[...]

            • John Tapscott
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008

                Dear Colin,

                I am not sure if my experience may be a help to you but as it is possible I will describe my problems.

                I have noted you say that your steering has some slack and that when this tightens the movement is very stiff.  A year or two ago I had trouble with the pulley wheels underneath the pedestal due to their bearings seizing up.  I wonder if you may be experiencing the same problem on Trutz.  It proved very easy to remedy in that the bearing is a small stainless tube through which the retaining bolt runs and all of which is set in the tufnell wheel.  I found that old lubricant had congealed and made these components lock together.  Cleaning and regreasing solved it.

                To work on the steering it will be necessary to slacken one or both of the ends of the steering wires where they fasten to the ends of the quadrant.  This should be enough to allow you to feel with a finger whether all the wheels are running freely. If not you unscrew the bolt on which the pulley pivots and the wheel will drop out.  If  they do run freely at least that elimates them from the suspects.  At this stage you will probably have enough slack in the steering to test the rotation of the wheel to see if the bearings in the binnacle are stiff.

                If you have drawn a blank on all of the above then it would logically seem to indicate that it must be a rudder bearing problem.  However I have repacked the top bearing a few years ago (because it was leaking) and my thought is that this becoming dry would be unlikely to make it stiffer.  On the bottom bearing I did have significant play so I removed the pintle fitting (when I was enlarging the rudder) and I cleaned it out thoroughly before running a little epoxy resin in to fill the gap made by wear. This seems to have worked well but has made the steering stiffer not easier which is I suppose logical.

                I hope these comments may be of some interest but if you wish me to expand on any points I would be happy to talk on the telephone if you wish to ring me.

                Regards,

                John Tapscott