RE: [campernicholson] Holding Tanks & Salon Table

  • Peter Walzer
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2008

      Tick – The main cabin table in my CN39 consisted of two legs welded to a plate and the plate bolted to another plate under the cabin sole. That is the way it was before I modified it. The plate underneath  was inaccessible and there was room for storage where the legs were attached. I removed the top section of the table. Cut out the section of cabin sole, removed the leg mounting bolts. I then fabricated a plywood storage box for under the top section of the table. I then glassed in the removed section of cabin sole and fabricated a mounting plate from wood. Attached the new storage box to the plate and attached the old top section of the table.

      I hope this helps.

      Peter

      CN39/02

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2008

        Rick – The problem is that the cabin sole the table is secured to is attached to the top of the fresh water tank. The tank top in my boat had too much freedom to move. This resulted in movement of the table. In addition to removing the “V” shaped support and fabricating a plywood box, I beefed up the top of the fresh water tank and made a better support for the table base.

        Peter

        CN39/02

        The table on my 31' is a 2 post arrangement in a 'V' shape, welded to an oval plate, in aluminum. This plateis secured with 4 bolts thru a 1 " teak spacer block and the teak plywood sole, self tapped into a thick larger aluminum plate, approximately 2'x2' square which is in turn screwed around its perimeter to various beams and fiberglass parts and pieces. If the 4 bolts are and their connections are loose you might consider retapping the large alum. plate and securing the oval base with larger ss bolts or if that is not the problem check under the sole to insure that your larger plate and its attachments are secure before any more radical corrections ( ie 'new table') are implemented.
        Cheers,
        Bill Roesner,
        CN 31- 113
        Blueprint
        Newton MA

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2008

          Ansley – I also had a holding tank fabricated for the v berth fwd. My tank was aluminum and was a custom fabrication. Your poly tank sounds better. Can you tell me who made it. I still need to do the aft tank.

          Peter

          CN39/02

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2008
            Peter,

            I had the holding tank done about 10 years ago and I have a problem remembering what I had for lunch yesterday!

            I may have written it down in my maintenance log which is on the boat. I will check the next time I am over but as it is January in Maine and as skiing is more season appropriate than sailing it may be a while.

            Cheers

            Ansley Sawyer
            SV Pacem
            CN 39 # 14