Holding Tanks & Salon Table

  • alby793
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2008
      HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

      Despite my best efforts it looks as though I will be wintering in
      Mystic, CT. Not what I had hoped for but it will give me lots of time
      to take a big bite out of that endless "Projects List."

      Two items for your input:
      1.) I have a CN 39. The forward head uses a Electrosan before
      discharging overboard and the aft head is a direct discharge
      overboard. This second is a no-no anywhere inside the COLREGS Line
      and the first is becoming harder to do as the number of "No
      Discharge" areas are multiplying exponentially. Anyone wish to share
      their holding tank arrangements?

      2.) The table in the salon is secured to two post in the deck and
      while the bolts holding it to the deck all seem secure, it wobbles
      side to side. Should I re-inforce the decking and if so, what is the
      best method? Or should I develop a completely new "table"
      arrangement, and if so, anyone have siggestions that work for them?

      Thanks a bunch and I hope you have a great New Year.

      Rick Albamonti
      S/V ABISHAG
      CN 39/31
    • William E. Roesner
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2008
        Rick,
        The table on my 31' is a 2 post arrangement in a 'V' shape, welded to
        an oval plate, in aluminum. This plateis secured with 4 bolts thru a 1
        " teak spacer block and the teak plywood sole, self tapped into a thick
        larger aluminum plate, approximately 2'x2' square which is in turn
        screwed around its perimeter to various beams and fiberglass parts and
        pieces. If the 4 bolts are and their connections are loose you might
        consider retapping the large alum. plate and securing the oval base
        with larger ss bolts or if that is not the problem check under the
        sole to insure that your larger plate and its attachments are secure
        before any more radical corrections ( ie 'new table') are implemented.
        Cheers,
        Bill Roesner,
        CN 31- 113
        Blueprint
        Newton MA

        On Jan 6, 2008, at 10:47 AM, alby793 wrote:

        > HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!
        >
        > Despite my best efforts it looks as though I will be wintering in
        > Mystic, CT. Not what I had hoped for but it will give me lots of time
        > to take a big bite out of that endless "Projects List."
        >
        > Two items for your input:
        > 1.) I have a CN 39. The forward head uses a Electrosan before
        > discharging overboard and the aft head is a direct discharge
        > overboard. This second is a no-no anywhere inside the COLREGS Line
        > and the first is becoming harder to do as the number of "No
        > Discharge" areas are multiplying exponentially. Anyone wish to share
        > their holding tank arrangements?
        >
        > 2.) The table in the salon is secured to two post in the deck and
        > while the bolts holding it to the deck all seem secure, it wobbles
        > side to side. Should I re-inforce the decking and if so, what is the
        > best method? Or should I develop a completely new "table"
        > arrangement, and if so, anyone have siggestions that work for them?
        >
        > Thanks a bunch and I hope you have a great New Year.
        >
        > Rick Albamonti
        > S/V ABISHAG
        > CN 39/31

      • Ansley W. Sawyer
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2008
          Rick,

          We also have a CN 39. I did the heads a few years ago and put an electrosan under the aft starboard berth for the aft head and a tank under the forward port berth for the forward head. I discussed the project with Peggy Searle (sp?) who knows quite a bit about marine sanitation and she steered me to a tank maker who made a custom high density poly tank for under the berth. She was very helpful with the design of the system with suggestions as to where the in and outputs of the tank were to be located so that no effluent would at any time be sitting in a hose and the venting of the tank. This has lead to no smell in 10 years. You can contact Peggy on the newsgroup rec.boats.cruising.

          I would be happy to discuss particulars of my system if you are interested.

          Cheers

          Ansley Sawyer
          SV Pacem
        • Peter Walzer
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 7, 2008

            Tick – The main cabin table in my CN39 consisted of two legs welded to a plate and the plate bolted to another plate under the cabin sole. That is the way it was before I modified it. The plate underneath  was inaccessible and there was room for storage where the legs were attached. I removed the top section of the table. Cut out the section of cabin sole, removed the leg mounting bolts. I then fabricated a plywood storage box for under the top section of the table. I then glassed in the removed section of cabin sole and fabricated a mounting plate from wood. Attached the new storage box to the plate and attached the old top section of the table.

            I hope this helps.

            Peter

            CN39/02

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 7, 2008

              Rick – The problem is that the cabin sole the table is secured to is attached to the top of the fresh water tank. The tank top in my boat had too much freedom to move. This resulted in movement of the table. In addition to removing the “V” shaped support and fabricating a plywood box, I beefed up the top of the fresh water tank and made a better support for the table base.

              Peter

              CN39/02

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 7, 2008

                Ansley – I also had a holding tank fabricated for the v berth fwd. My tank was aluminum and was a custom fabrication. Your poly tank sounds better. Can you tell me who made it. I still need to do the aft tank.

                Peter

                CN39/02

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 8, 2008
                  Peter,

                  I had the holding tank done about 10 years ago and I have a problem remembering what I had for lunch yesterday!

                  I may have written it down in my maintenance log which is on the boat. I will check the next time I am over but as it is January in Maine and as skiing is more season appropriate than sailing it may be a while.

                  Cheers

                  Ansley Sawyer
                  SV Pacem
                  CN 39 # 14