Re: Windvanes

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 14, 2007
      Dennis,

      I was digging through the file for non-related issues and came across
      the receipt for the vane. cost was $3700 shipping included. I do
      remember they offered to help install the vane. just cover travel
      cost. The rudder (wood) got damaged in shipping. They sent me a new
      rudder no charge and let me keep the old one which I epoxied to fix
      for a backup rudder.

      I had emailed Aries when researching for a vane and told them I had a
      wheel pilot and asked if there system would work with the pilot
      installed. I got a very short response back that said an Aries would
      not be the unit for me. I took that as they were not interested in
      gaining a new client and moved on.

      I looked at the Monitor and was close to getting one but I just could
      not get over the size of the thing. It definitely takes up all the
      room on the stern.

      Good luck with your research. Let us know what you end up with.

      Kind Regards,

      Tom

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 16, 2007
        Gang,
        I have heard back from Voyager and the price for the heavier duty unit is
        about $4460 plus shipping.
        I heard from Iona and they say that the Voyager and the Windpilot share
        design. They have not used their windvane much as they had problems with
        air flow due to Biminis, BBQ etc. If we estimate shipping for the Voyager
        to be about $100, here is how they stack up pricewise

        Aries $5150
        Sailomat $5100 (list. special deal available for purchase "within next 7
        days")
        Voyager $4560
        Monitor $4510
        Windpilot $4100

        From the feedback, Sailomat (specifically the owner) may not be worth the
        trouble. That leaves the other three. I am surprised by the relatively low
        price from Windpilot. I would have thought with the weak dollar (hell even
        the Canadian dollar if higher!) that the Monitor would have a price
        advantage.

        Dennis Gibbons
        dkgibbons at optonline dot net