Re:Repower input?

  • torrisdale
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 17, 2007
      --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, BarryR8195@... wrote:

      > I repowered my C & N 35 (#151) with a Yanmar 3JH3E & matching gearbox.
      The
      > Yanmar is a wonderful engine. It is smaller and lighter than the
      Watermota,
      > easier to work on (oil changes, etc.) and produces more power. I also
      > changed to a 3 blade prop. I was well pleased with the engine.
      >
      > I subsequently sold the boat for reasons unrelated to the engine.
      -Barry
      > Roberts

      http://www.aol.com
      >Thank you for reply to my question re. repowering my Nicholson 35 'Blue
      Tarn'. Do you think that the 30 hp Yanmar 3YM30 which is smaller,
      lighter and cheaper! than the 40 hp Yanmar 3JH4E, would be sufficientlly
      powerful for a Nicholson 35?

      Michael
    • BarryR8195@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 17, 2007
        I would go with the 3JH.  While the smaller engine would probably drive the boat OK through smooth water, it's nice to know that you have the extra power to drive into a head wind or chop or to help get you off a sand bar!  There's even room for a larger 4JH,  but that's probably over kill.--Barry Roberts

      • Johns
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 19, 2007
          Hi
          I am also considering changing to a 30hp Yanmar. I understand some have changed to this already, have you still a V-drive or have you installed saildrive?

          /Mick
          Addiena Nic35 #187