Re: Digest Number 177

  • Steve Lochner
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 5:13 AM
      At 06:46 PM 3/31/99 -0500, you wrote:
      >From: Jack & Cristina Staats <chivaree@...>
      But I think things will turn out ok, and I am
      >looking forward to innsulation in the tropics--I hope it makes a
      difference down
      >below. If anyone has any better ideas---I am very interested. I have
      only taken
      >down the fabric panels and plastic strips--Not cut or installed anything yet.
      >Sincerely---Cristina Staats aboard Iona CN 35, hull # 135

      Christina & CN List:

      I too have pulled out all headliners on my CN 48 - and while I haven't
      found the personal notices which Christina joyfully discovered, the rest of
      her description is right on.

      I plan to put in 1/4 to 1/2" insultation - and then cover with appropriate
      headliner material, held in plan by teak strips - sounds much like the
      others plans. I don't know if there were any takers on the offer of the
      original plastic crimp strips, if so I will feel badly cause I junked all
      of mine.

      Incidentally, in the FWIW department, I would offer the following. I am
      replacing all my plastic ports - which had turned very cloudy over the
      decades. It was a major job to remove them from the aluminum frames - but
      finally accomplished same without significant damage to the frames (I
      hope). When I took the removed plastics to a plastic fabricator in
      Cleveland, Ohio, I received a major major shock. They estimated the
      replacement cost for each piece at between $500 and $700. The small
      crescent shaped ports at the end of the front cabin and rear cabin - not
      more than 12" x 24" for $500!!!! At this price, I could have put up with
      the opacity problem:!!

      The story has a happy ending, I think. Subsequently I took them to a
      plastics house in Toledo, Ohio - Allied Plastics by name. They have given
      me an estimate of $25 for the small pieces - and still waiting for the
      details on the large windshield portions.

      I am keeping my fingers crossed - but am optimistic. It certainly does pay
      to shop around.

      Steve Lochner
      s/v Equus, CN 48, on the hard in Sandusky, Ohio

      "I know nothing - nothing do I know - but I go to free myself from the
      Wheel of Things by a broad and open road." R. Kipling.
    • Jteipen@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1 9:38 PM
        Jack and Christina

        It seems like everyone is interested in replacing the headliner at some
        point. I have a few questions about your headliner project on Iona:

        *What were you planning to do, if anything, with the interior vinyl covered
        area where the windows are placed?

        *Are the teak handrails on the exterior cabin top bolted through the cabin
        top? I am in the process of refinishing the handrails and originally had in
        mind that it might be easier to remove them in order to work on them.
        However, I couldn't back out the few fasteners that I tried and assumed that
        they must be bolted through the cabin top. I'm just refinishing them in
        place since I didn't want to mess with the headliner.

        *Is there anything else that passes through the cabin top other than the mast
        and hatch which might take rebedding in order to avoid future leaks?

        I appreciate your help. Good luck with your project

        Jim Teipen
        S/V Alegria
        CN 35 #68