Nic 35 rudder modifications

  • Alan Teale
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 17, 2007
      Dear All,

      I am sure there has been correspondence about the various changes that were made by C&N and owners to the Nic 35 rudder since 1971. However, as a new member, I have missed it.

      We are planning to enlarge our Mk I rudder, and I would be grateful for any information about changes  that were made by the builder or owners that were successful in improving steering performance.  And I apologise if this means going over well-trodden ground.

      I should add that Colin has very helpfully supplied a set of factory drawings detailing the addition of  a mahogany insert that increases depth by 6 inches. Is there anything else worth knowing about before work begins?

      Alan
      Nic35/16

    • wtrevarthen
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 19, 2007
        Alan,
        I did this modification 3 years ago, I feel it was of some help.
        Don't expect a PORCHE when finished. the big change for me came when
        going to a sail-drive.
        I extented my rudder about 8 inches by adding pieces of 3/4 marine
        ply. This was covered with FG and epoxy. If I were to do it over I'd
        use a closed cell foam for the build-up with vynalester resin. It's
        really not very hard.
        Good Luck
        Winston
        CN35/49

        -- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Alan Teale <m1fbe@...> wrote:

        > Dear All,
        >
        > I am sure there has been correspondence about the various changes
        that were made by C&N and owners to the Nic 35 rudder since 1971.
        However, as a new member, I have missed it.

        > We are planning to enlarge our Mk I rudder, and I would be grateful
        for any information about changes that were made by the builder or
        owners that were successful in improving steering performance. And I
        apologise if this means going over well-trodden ground.

        > I should add that Colin has very helpfully supplied a set of
        factory drawings detailing the addition of a mahogany insert that
        increases depth by 6 inches. Is there anything else worth knowing
        about before work begins?

        > Alan
        > Nic35/16
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit Yahoo! For Good
        this month.

      • thomas j. middelthon
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 20, 2007
          Hello !

          I did this job a couple of years ago, used cell foam and epoxy. Enlarged rudder by around 18 cm. I think the boat steers better now, but not sure how much better.

          Thomas J. Middelthon
          North Wind, N35/#40

          I did this modification 3 years ago, I feel it was of some help.
          Don't expect a PORCHE when finished. the big change for me came when
          going to a sail-drive.
          I extented my rudder about 8 inches by adding pieces of 3/4 marine
          ply. This was covered with FG and epoxy. If I were to do it over I'd
          use a closed cell foam for the build-up with vynalester resin. It's
          really not very hard.
          Good Luck
          Winston
          CN35/49

          -- In campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com, Alan Teale <m1fbe@...> wrote:

          > Dear All,
          >
          > I am sure there has been correspondence about the various changes
          that were made by C&N and owners to the Nic 35 rudder since 1971.
          However, as a new member, I have missed it.

          > We are planning to enlarge our Mk I rudder, and I would be grateful
          for any information about changes that were made by the builder or
          owners that were successful in improving steering performance. And I
          apologise if this means going over well-trodden ground.

          > I should add that Colin has very helpfully supplied a set of
          factory drawings detailing the addition of a mahogany insert that
          increases depth by 6 inches. Is there anything else worth knowing
          about before work begins?

          > Alan
          > Nic35/16
          >

          > ------------ --------- --------- ---
          > For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit Yahoo! For Good
          this month.

        • JOHN LARSON
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 24, 2007
            Winston,

            We looked for you in Maine at the gathering.  What happened?  We had a great time there and left Passport at Journey's End Marina in Rockland.

            Speaking of the Maine Cruise, after returning to Minnesota a couple weeks ago, I checked for pictures on the CN web site, and found only some of them.  What happened to The pictures in your file, Ansley?  Would it be possible for you to post them again?

            John and Sandy Larson

            s/v Passport
          • Steve Perry

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 7, 2007
                Following helpful responses, I plan to increase ruddder depth using
                closed cell foam, but as Steve has suggested there seems to have also
                been some modifications to the trailing edge of the early Nic 35
                rudder. DOes anyone have details?