Re: Digest Number 177

  • Jack & Cristina Staats
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 1999
      To respond the the Vincent's query about what is above the headliner--Nothing. I
      mean it. Really, there is nothing above it. There are some small teak blocks
      around the dorade openings and some small shaped firring strips at the sides where
      the headliner butts up to the vertical sides which create a bit of curvature, to
      attach the plastic strips to but otherwise the plastic strips were screwed right
      into the fiberglass. The fibergalss is rough. In fact directions and numbers are
      written in pencil on the fiberglass. Right next to the companionway opening there
      is a little sentence written in pencil--"Help, I am being held captive in a
      brothel." Some workman's idea of a joke, I think. ...Probably thought nobody
      would ever see it. I plan on making rigid panels and innsulating them. I plan on
      making the panels the same size as the fabric pieces I removed with teak strips
      where the old seams were. Theoritically these will be easier to handle / install,
      and manipulate in the cabin. A woodworker friend is going to help me do this
      because I am not a woodworker. But I think things will turn out ok, and I am
      looking forward to innsulation in the tropics--I hope it makes a difference down
      below. If anyone has any better ideas---I am very interested. I have only taken
      down the fabric panels and plastic strips--Not cut or installed anything yet.
      Sincerely---Cristina Staats aboard Iona CN 35, hull # 135
    • Steve Lochner
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 1999
        At 06:46 PM 3/31/99 -0500, you wrote:
        >From: Jack & Cristina Staats <chivaree@...>
        But I think things will turn out ok, and I am
        >looking forward to innsulation in the tropics--I hope it makes a
        difference down
        >below. If anyone has any better ideas---I am very interested. I have
        only taken
        >down the fabric panels and plastic strips--Not cut or installed anything yet.
        >Sincerely---Cristina Staats aboard Iona CN 35, hull # 135

        Christina & CN List:

        I too have pulled out all headliners on my CN 48 - and while I haven't
        found the personal notices which Christina joyfully discovered, the rest of
        her description is right on.

        I plan to put in 1/4 to 1/2" insultation - and then cover with appropriate
        headliner material, held in plan by teak strips - sounds much like the
        others plans. I don't know if there were any takers on the offer of the
        original plastic crimp strips, if so I will feel badly cause I junked all
        of mine.

        Incidentally, in the FWIW department, I would offer the following. I am
        replacing all my plastic ports - which had turned very cloudy over the
        decades. It was a major job to remove them from the aluminum frames - but
        finally accomplished same without significant damage to the frames (I
        hope). When I took the removed plastics to a plastic fabricator in
        Cleveland, Ohio, I received a major major shock. They estimated the
        replacement cost for each piece at between $500 and $700. The small
        crescent shaped ports at the end of the front cabin and rear cabin - not
        more than 12" x 24" for $500!!!! At this price, I could have put up with
        the opacity problem:!!

        The story has a happy ending, I think. Subsequently I took them to a
        plastics house in Toledo, Ohio - Allied Plastics by name. They have given
        me an estimate of $25 for the small pieces - and still waiting for the
        details on the large windshield portions.

        I am keeping my fingers crossed - but am optimistic. It certainly does pay
        to shop around.

        Steve Lochner
        s/v Equus, CN 48, on the hard in Sandusky, Ohio

        "I know nothing - nothing do I know - but I go to free myself from the
        Wheel of Things by a broad and open road." R. Kipling.
      • Jteipen@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 1999
          Jack and Christina

          It seems like everyone is interested in replacing the headliner at some
          point. I have a few questions about your headliner project on Iona:

          *What were you planning to do, if anything, with the interior vinyl covered
          area where the windows are placed?

          *Are the teak handrails on the exterior cabin top bolted through the cabin
          top? I am in the process of refinishing the handrails and originally had in
          mind that it might be easier to remove them in order to work on them.
          However, I couldn't back out the few fasteners that I tried and assumed that
          they must be bolted through the cabin top. I'm just refinishing them in
          place since I didn't want to mess with the headliner.

          *Is there anything else that passes through the cabin top other than the mast
          and hatch which might take rebedding in order to avoid future leaks?

          I appreciate your help. Good luck with your project

          Jim Teipen
          S/V Alegria
          CN 35 #68