Re: Roller Furling Boom

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 17 5:01 AM
      Mitch,

      I used roller furling booms in years past and they suck. Unless you are a
      fanatic about maintainance, the gears won't work when you need it and no
      matter what it screws up the sail shape and strains the sail. Also it is a
      bitch to unroll when the wind lightens. Stay with slab reefing.

      Dennis
      CN35-207
      Dark Lady

      At 07:13 PM 3/16/99 -0500, you wrote:
      >From: "Mitch Traphagen" <hettybrace@...>
      >
      >Hi - I have a 1967 Nic 32 with a roller furling boom. My main currently has
      >3 reef points (not the original sail) but I would like to try out the
      >furling boom. I'm aware that sail shape would be a huge issue but
      >nonetheless, it would be interesting to see it.
      >
      >My question is....how did it work regarding the sail track cars? I would
      >imagine that the sail track cars must somehow come off the track for the
      >sail to roll on the boom but I can't figure out how that could work or where
      >they would come off. I have an opening in the track but it's much higher on
      >the mast - it wouldn't be very good to pull the cars at that point.
      >
      >If anyone has a functional roller furling boom, I'd love to hear how it's
      >supposed to work.
      >
      >Thanks!
      >
      >Mitch
      >S/V Hetty Brace
      >Nicholson 32
      >http://home.earthlink.net/~hettybrace

      >select the Member Center link from the menu bar on the left.

    • david griffiths
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 17 9:36 AM
        On our 1971 Nic 32 we used the furling boom for many years. Although I
        cannot say it was easy in rough weather it does work. The lower track cars
        should be lashed to the sail with thin rope, and you can then unlash them.
        Only those track cars above the gate should remain attached to the sail
        when you reff. Does this help? You need to take a 'tuck' occasionally to
        keep the boom up.

        It needs to be working well and can involve some hard work. We have gone
        for slab reefs now! Good luck - would love to know how it goes.

        David Griffiths