RE: [campernicholson] Holding Tank

  • Peter Walzer
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 6, 2007

      Nigel – I had an aluminum tank made to fit under the port V berth fwd. I made a pattern and gave the pattern to my local fabrication shop. It is small (about 16 gallons). It is mounted fwd in the space under the berth with the pipes entering and coming out of the tank in the aft end of the tank. The vent is not 38 mm, it is about 5/8 inch. and comes out the top of the tank. The fabrication shop made the connections to the tank to my specifications. They welded in threaded fittings for inlet, pump out and vent. If I had to do it over again, I might have tried building a fiberglass tank. I do not know how long an aluminum tank will last. I did coat the inside of the tank with epoxy resin as best I could.

      Peter

      CN39 -02

      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 6, 2007
        Thanks Peter,

        Where does your vent exit the deck/hull , what sort of skin fitting &
        does it smell!?

        Cheers

        Nigel
        On 6 Mar 2007, at 23:07, Peter Walzer wrote:

        > Nigel – I had an aluminum tank made to fit under the port V berth fwd.
        > I made a pattern and gave the pattern to my local fabrication shop. It
        > is small (about 16 gallons). It is mounted fwd in the space under the
        > berth with the pipes entering and coming out of the tank in the aft
        > end of the tank. The vent is not 38 mm, it is about 5/8 inch. and
        > comes out the top of the tank. The fabrication shop made the
        > connections to the tank to my specifications. They welded in threaded
        > fittings for inlet, pump out and vent. If I had to do it over again, I
        > might have tried building a fiberglass tank. I do not know how long an
        > aluminum tank will last. I did coat the inside of the tank with epoxy
        > resin as best I could.
        >

        > Peter
        >
        > CN39 -02

      • IAN POSTLETHWAITE
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 7, 2007
          Nigel,
          The holding tank on Suki is located under the cockpit locker floor on port side, outboard of the hot water tank. It is stainless steel and i would think about 100ltrs. There is a discharge pump located to the L/Hand side of the locker under the engine controls, which discharges through a hull seacock. It also has a deck fitting for a shoreside suction discharge. I did not fit the tank so I cannot offer any details of it's installation. I will get some photos next time I am over at the boat and post them on the site.

          Regards
          Ian

          nsb <eness.bee@...> wrote:
          Thanks Peter,

          Where does your vent exit the deck/hull , what sort of skin fitting &
          does it smell!?

          Cheers

          Nigel
          On 6 Mar 2007, at 23:07, Peter Walzer wrote:

          > Nigel – I had an aluminum tank made to fit under the port V berth fwd.
          > I made a pattern and gave the pattern to my local fabrication shop. It
          > is small (about 16 gallons). It is mounted fwd in the space under the
          > berth with the pipes entering and coming out of the tank in the aft
          > end of the tank. The vent is not 38 mm, it is about 5/8 inch. and
          > comes out the top of the tank. The fabrication shop made the
          > connections to the tank to my specifications. They welded in threaded
          > fittings for inlet, pump out and vent. If I had to do it over again, I
          > might have tried building a fiberglass tank. I do not know how long an
          > aluminum tank will last. I did coat the inside of the tank with epoxy
          > resin as best I could.
          >

          > Peter
          >
          > CN39 -02

        • enessbee
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 7, 2007
            Hi Ian,

            Thanks, I'd appreciate that. Which toilet does the HT service?
          • IAN POSTLETHWAITE
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 7, 2007
              It services both toilets via isolation valves.

              enessbee <eness.bee@...> wrote:
              Hi Ian,

              Thanks, I'd appreciate that. Which toilet does the HT service?

            • Ansley W. Sawyer
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 7, 2007
                Nigel,

                I had the tank built of high density poly with the input and outputs on the top as per Peggy's suggestion. I also put in 2 one inch vents. One on the front of the tank top and one on the back of the tank top. These vent lines run back into the head area and up the hull almost to the rail. I put in two vents just below the rail with clamshell vents. One of the clamshells face forward and one faces aft so whenever the wind blows there is a air current through the tank. I know that there is a possibility of water going in thru the forward facing vent if I bury the rail but that high up it will not happen often.

                The biggest part of what Peggy told me is to make sure that there is no place in your system where any water can sit in a hose. All hoses must have a slope to them and the output from the tank must be a standpipe from the top of the tank so that fluids will fall back into the tank.

                I plumbed a "Y" valve from the head to the tank or overboard and a deck pumpout and macerator overboard to empty the tank.

                Ansley Sawyer
                SV Pacem

                PS. If you want to join us in Maine for the Camper Nicholson rendezvous in July you can see my installation!
              • Peter Walzer
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 7, 2007

                  Nigel – The vent exits the hull outboard of the fwd head sink. The fitting is the conventional right angle vent with screen (model 100901 in West catalog).

                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 8, 2007
                    Hi Ansley,

                    Thanks for the info.

                    Your clamshell vents - are they exiting on the outside of the hull or
                    on the deck next to the bulwark?

                    Also, the fact that the output pipe is on the top (I was planning to
                    have it coming from the bottom, with the inlet on the top) - how far
                    down does the output pipe reach to the bottom of the tank? Doesn't
                    that mean there will always be waste in the bottom of the tank?

                    Nigel Berry
                    Rose of Wight

                    PS. Love to come to Maine but it's a long haul from east coast UK!
                  • enessbee
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 8, 2007
                      Thanks Peter,

                      I've see the vent in the catalogue. How high up the hull did you
                      manage to place it. Do you find the tank fills if you are heeled to
                      that side in a seaway?

                      Cheers

                      Nigel
                    • Ansley W. Sawyer
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 8, 2007
                        Nigel,

                        The vents are on the outside of the hull just below the rail. The output pipe comes from the top so that the tank contents do not sit in the hose all of the time. As Peggy pointed out most of the smells from holding tanks come from the hoses being permeated with the tank contents and with the anaerobic environment in a poorly vented tank.

                        The standpipe for the output goes to within 3/4 to 1 inch of the bottom of the tank so there is always something left in the tank but I routinely add water to the tank after I pump it and then pump it again.

                        Ansley Sawyer
                        SV Pacem

                      • Ian Postlethwaite
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 3 3:03 AM
                          Can I ask the administrator of this group to stop these spam messages from being posted, surley something can be done to stop all this DRIVEL being posted to our group???

                          Regards
                          Ian

                          enessbee <eness.bee@virgin. net> wrote:

                          Hi Ian,

                          Thanks, I'd appreciate that. Which toilet does the HT service?

                        • John Gall
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 3 7:26 PM
                            I agree.  If someone wants to delegate administrator privliges, I'm happy to try for a while.

                            John